Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How Careful Do I Have To Be With This? (Question About Psychoactivity)

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by PP117, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Sorry for the vague title. I didn't know what else to call it.

Pretty soon I'll be able to sex my plants, and then I'll have to toss out the males. I want to use all parts of the males for medicinal purposes. I don't care if it's not psychoactive at all.

If I run the entire male plants (including the stems) through a juicing machine, and then drink the juice, do I have to be careful with that juice because it might be psychoactive?

And then if I take all of the fibrous material that was expelled from the juicing machine, and then boil that in some butter, do you think I would have to be careful with that, because it might be psychoactive? Or do you think the levels of THC would be so low that I wouldn't have to worry about it?

If I skipped the juicing, and just chopped up the male plants and made canna-butter with them, do you think that would be psychoactive at all?

Thanks

2. #2 beaniegrl420, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    Juicing will get your great things, nutritionally speaking, and then the cannabinoids that may end up in there will not be activated, and with males, not very abundant, so, no worries there. 

As for taking the pulp, or straight material to butter, I don't know. But my guess would be it'd be some green ass butter and wouldn't do much. 

Juice it! Then make paper lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks! I was guessing that juicing wouldn't be very psychoactive. I think a lady who wrote a recent book about juicing said that it can be psychoactive for some people, so that's what made me worried.

I'll probably be careful with the butter anyway, just in case. Maybe I'll start with just a small amount.

4. #4 beaniegrl420, Sep 5, 2014
    A small amount is a good idea :)

And, some people, those very sensitive, will always feel affected by cannabis, because of the terpenes. But, psychoactivity and slight physiological reactions are two different things to me. Especially with fresh male material, you should have little active THC in the plant. Even females, that have been flowering and are all sticky yummy yum have very little, if any active THC in them. 

If you drank some lavender tea and then felt relaxed, no one would call that psychoactive. You're getting similar reactions when you juice, from the terpenes, plus a boost of energy from all the great nutrients! 

(if the plant is very high in beta-carophyllene, and there was naturally decarb'd THC on the plant, then there may be some crossing of the brain barrier, but that's really something I could only see happening with a fully matured female plant... shouldn't totally cross it off, but it's unlikely to affect most people)

5. Thanks a lot for the info. That's a really great distinction between psychoactivity and physiological reactions.

I like lavender tea. :) Rose petal tea is awesome too.

Do you think there is a significant physiological effect from just smelling the plant terpenes? I know some people strongly believe in this, and I think they call it aromatherapy. But I'm just curious what your opinion is on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 beaniegrl420, Sep 5, 2014
    In my experience with cannabis specifically, yes. I experience a prolonged, mellow high when I take the time to prime myself with a little aromatherapy (usually the ground up bud I am about to smoke in a joint) I also get a bit of a perk when I just breathe in the jars. Not much because my tolerance is so high, but absolutely.

In anecdotal evidence, let's go with cops who would bust up grows complaining of being "high" when they would break them down. This is what lead to the belief that it's absorbed through the skin into the blood stream. We now know that's not true. 

What happened is they were smelling the plant. And that affected them. None of those cops failed a drug test after, you know? At least not from that activity ;)  But, going back to lavender, or even roses, if they had walked into a greenhouse filled with either of those two plants, and walked out feeling relaxed and maybe even a little sleepy, they wouldn't have claimed they were stoned. But essentially they didn't feel any more affected than if they had wadded through a room of legal plants. They were just biased as fuck.

Usually people freak out if they know it's weed and that exaggerates their symptoms, just from smelling that it's around. 

Terpenes are very powerful, and I never really bought into it until I saw how they could manipulate our bodies when in cannabis. Seeing how terpenes still direct your influence when there's very little THC, especially, is really interesting. I would talk with patients who had a strain that had very little THC, but they were still very sensitive and effected by the strains, even with the CBD. Not in an overwhelming way, but in a way that they were very aware they had been affected ( I mean, duh, you smoked weed, what did you expect? lol that's why I try to not say that CBD isn't psychoactive, actually it is. In a very similar way to xanax)

They're affected by the terpenes still. Another example, when you make/grind your own spices at home for cooking, you're supposed to heat them gently first. This is said to activate them. Same principle in cannabis. Vaping at different temps will create different effects, even in the same strain, depending on its terpene content. 

edit: hahaha was double checking some of my stuff, and came across this blurb in wiki "The study of human physiology as a medical field dates back to at least 420  BC to the time of Hippocrates, also known as the father of medicine"   That's just brilliant. 

• Like Like x 1
  7. I appreciate you taking the time to write that.

When my plants started smelling a couple days ago for their first time, I thought the smell was making me feel happy, but I wasn't certain about it. I'm glad you validated that it is a possible reaction.

In the winter time I use different oils for aromatherapy: lavender, rose, eucalyptus, mint, cloves, lemon, etc. My favorite is probably rose oil. It's nice to be able to add cannabis to that list pretty soon, if my plants end up well.

I've had a similar experience you're describing about the CBD. I didn't mention this on the thread we were on yesterday, but the 36mgs/day make me feel really calm and relaxed too, and I think the CBD oil has helped me to have more positive thoughts in general. I'm curious to see how things will change if/when I'm finally able to start using the full plant.

• Like Like x 1