Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dabs Have Taken Over

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by shattermatter00, Sep 5, 2014.

1. I don't know if this is happening everywhere, but where I live it seems that dabs has almost completely replaced smoking flower.

Personally, I like smoking buds way more. I think it's more social, it can be done longer, and you can take way more hits.

With dabs I feel like it's a 30 minute smoke sesh max and everyone does 2-3 dabs and is blitzed. But we used to pass herb for hours and have great talks not just get it over with and be bored.

It's even harder to find flower now.

Does anyone else feel like dabs have taken over the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Social smokingz overrated way to many moochers n people who think ganj is free wish people would start getting into concentrates here everyone I know deals with butane soup garbage or just too stupid to listen to logic lol I prefer a longer session though , popper smokers are worse their sessions r done in 2 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. To many people r getting into it without even knowing what it is or how to smoke it, like I hear so many kids buying "wax" ad saying it's "pure thc" n not even knowing how to smoke it lol let alone what the act of dabbing even is, they just generalize n call everything "dabs" so many people r dabbing butane garbage n thinking it's this Godsend wax/shatter/concentrate it's sad I think their needs to be a lot more education about It n slot of these idiots who r making garbage need to smarten up

4. There also needs to be a lot more education on basic fucking grammar. It shouldn't be difficult man, it's most of ours' first language. 

5. Dabs are gaining popularity, but flower is still way easier to find in Ontario. It's a treat at a friends house for many.

6. I have never seen a 'dab' in real life only a heap of flower. Stupid prohibition here in Australia...

7. Eh. I like them, but like someone said here, I see it like two different highs. I know how that sounds, but yeah.

Still prevalent in my area equally

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #8 Desert Rose, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    Dabs have been increasing in popularity recently because it's more profitable to sell as it's quicker to produce than bud; because the time it takes for bud to cure to produce the smell which takes a week minimum and the manicuring process (trimming the small leaves from the buds, which can take hours) are steps that are completely skipped in dab-making, in which you can use a whole plant right after harvesting to extract the glands into a concentrated oily/waxy substance that weighs less and is easier to move. It saves growers and sellers time and cost.

9. I believe the BHO has commercialized the cannabis community to a sickening level.

As my SN indicates, indeed, I do dab a lot, however the large majority of my dabs are from water hash. I used to be a BHO fanatic, but the passion sort of died, when I saw profiteering across the community.

I still make and dab BHO every day, however, it is only for bedtime, times of anger(bad temper),and anxiety inducing activity.

I strongly believe that this hash oil craze has taken away from the spirituality of the cannabis flower, a beloved symbol of peace, unity and harmony of nature. The passion to grow amazing, visually appealing flowers has now taken the back seat to just make oil,....

"who cares what it looks like, I'm just stuffing in a tube anyhow"

Diversity is key to being a canna-lover...
    A healthy balance of top notch flower, good ole fashioned sieved hash, strong edibles(or hash caps) and using hash oil sparingly.

Properly made hash oil is a great medication that solves a wide array of ailments, but it's potency should be respected.

In closing; Dabs have taken over, in a terrible fashion, mostly unsafe extraction in of itself (you guys blasting in your home; I'm staring right at you) improper purging practices, and a total disregard for what's actually getting*concentrated* (you guys that blast moldy, bug ridden, pesticide soaked buds, I'm staring right at you)

Dabs can be extremely beneficial to many patients in pain, but I feel it's being abused, like prescription pills, or any hard drug...( certainly don't want to be lumped into this category)

Balance your usage, trust your sources, and if you want to make it yourself; please read, read read, and be safe!

10. I would take a dab over flower any day. I grow some fine buds but dont bother to smoke them.

Good bubble or scissor hash has an earthy taste and mellow high that is very pleasurable.

11. I switched to dabs about 2 years ago and have noticed a considerable increase in lung function, and now I rarely smoke flowers. I cant stand the ashy taste or the burnt out feeling, any ganj that isnt like a++ grade just gives me a headache from all that plant matter. Dabs always taste like a clean THC filled hoot.

12. #12 Grendelking, Sep 6, 2014

13. #13 Desert Rose, Sep 6, 2014
    It does have its pros like being a 'cleaner' and purer product since it contains mostly resin glands and little to no plant matter

But an improperly made BHO, which isn't well purged and contains residual solvents is much more harmful than smoking plant matter as butane residue can be toxic on your liver and kidneys with long-term use. And sadly, there is a lot of improperly home-made BHO that isn't well purged and contains residual butane. So I would choose weed over BHO if given the choice because with the latter you don't always know what you're getting in terms of quality.

14. This is just the next natural progression of pot evolution. Concentrates have been used for 10,000 recorded years. They are gaining popularity in North America simply because traditionally we are not a hash consuming country and because of new delivery methods. I was smoking oil in the early 70's and hot knifing hash! It is a blessing for many in the medical community. I believe we will find better delivery methods and that maybe nails were just a fad, but "dabs" are here to stay! "Eating" the concentrates is the best delivery method for treating medical conditions, while "dabbing"(smoking) seems to work best for relaxing or relieving stress. In the meantime; Relax brother, it's just a blowtorch! Peace!

15. you are the consumer! It is up to you to educate yourself and to ask questions! Seek and gain knowledge before you indulge! Same as with flowers..... was it grown all natural or with chemicals pumped into it? Do you always know? Many products(foods and flavorings), all kinds of things contain or are processed using butane or other petro chemicals and you suffer no known ill affects! Know and identify the culprit before you just react out of fear! It's all about knowledge! Be a responsible consumer and educate yourself before you participate! Peace!

16. If it isn't being made in a lab type setting, or if it is being made by someone who does not have a organic chemistry background or it is not being tested by a reputable testing facility, then don't purchase it! Demand this as a consumer and it will become the standard! Peace!

17. Doesn't sound weird at all! Bho and "like" type concentrates contain all of the plant! Lipids, waxes, oils, cannabinoids, terpenes, basically stripping everything out of the plant and concentrating it! With "dabs" you consume all while smoking does not. Molecular chains change, it ends up having totally different properties than that of flowers. Science is finding these additional properties to be quite beneficial medically speaking. Especially in the treatment of serious cancers! We are far from knowing what all benefits(or drawbacks, if any), we can glean from concentrates or the plant itself for that matter! Other then, it is turning out(the plant), to be quite the magical chemistry set indeed!  Much more research and knowledge is needed in order to make any decisions, good or bad. For now, the people leading the way in this field happen to be honest and ethical and their end goal is the gathering and distribution of knowledge. Their motivation is to help heal and not worry about monetary incentives while learning properties and techniques that produce a safer, cleaner, medical product. After all, this is all about sick people and a better quality of life. That is why states have MMJ and only two have recreational. People aren't pioneering this for your average "stoner", but to ease pain and suffering and to help heal. "Dabs" aren't for everyone , nor should they be. Making concentrates is certainly not a way to make "more money" with "less work"!! It is more work, costs more to produce and, depending upon strain, you may not make as much as if you had sold the flowers! I got off track, but it will produce a different effect than that of flowers. To me, there is no comparison! Peace! :bongin:

18. I do agree with most of the posts on this subject. A lot of what is out there is bogus! There is even a larger number of bogus,  uneducated idiots attempting to make this product! All of this is not good for the movement at all! People with no background or knowledge, blowing themselves or their neighbors up, could quite possibly set us all back a decade or more! Plus the way it is manufactured and consumed reminds some of meth labs and crack! All the more reason knowledge and education needs to be gathered and shared. What most are consuming out there is, IMO,(science too), is only a half finished product! There needs to be further refinement in the form of winterization techniques requiring the addition of polar solvents and further filtration and purging. With all that being said, I believe the industry is headed in that direction on a fast track! It just takes time! When we first started growing indoors, no one was producing anything of quality because no knowledge base of information yet existed(thank you Ed and Mel)! But look at what we can turn out today! And most of the knowledge we are using today comes from within the last decade! Give it time, be a knowledgeable consumer, ask questions but above all, don't hate what we don't even fully understand yet! Concentrates are already a Godsend to many that suffer! Your mind is like a parachute, neither work unless they're open! Peace! :hippie:

19. why do u care? It's the Internet, get over it.

20. Concentrates are definitely gaining popularity, even in states such as mine (non-legal). I have noticed that my LHS is selling more nails and oil rigs, and their "oil section" gets more expansive every time I go in there.

As for me and my friends, we've all moved to concentrates almost entirely. We vape the occasional bowl, but we mostly just take dabs now. And all our tolerances are very high, so we have long dab sessions. Of course, not everyone can take 6-8 dabs and still be ok.