When Should You Exercise After Dinner?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by kit88, Sep 5, 2014.

1. You may wonder, when should I do some light exercise or light workout after i eat dinner to stay active? For me, you should let your food digest at least 45 minutes to 1 hour after eating dinner. This is because the food would be fully digested, and it will feel like it is not sitting there in the stomach. This way when you start your workout routine, you will feel the routine working for you and being effective.

2. Do it after you wake up in the morning or else you'll be losing sleep.

Stoner Athlete
    Train Insane or Remain The Same.

3. I hate to be a nitpicker, but it takes around 6-8 hours to fully digest your food.

It'll be converted to chyme and into the intestines after around 2 hours though, so yeah.

4. You should workout then eat dinner.

Don't gotta go on a full stomach from a big meal. A nice sized high carb snack 30-45 minutes before hand should be good.

5. Yes it is unhealthy to exercise after a meal, im studying health and nutrition. Your body has two types of muscles smooth muscles(muscles you can't control), and skeletal muscles(biceps,triceps etc...). Your digestive system, is primarly made up of smooth muscles, they are doing work just like your other muscles you just can't feel it. So by exercising after a meal your competing with two muscle groups. Your heart is pumping blood, oxygen and nutrients to your esophagus(a tube like muscle that forces food down your digestive track into your stomach). While also trying to pump blood, oxygen, and nutrients to your skeletal muscles you are trying to use. It is how ever healthy to eat something light and high in carbohydrates, fruit(especially banana's rich with potassium to help fight off muscle cramps), drinks such as gatorade, and so on. Its best to spread out your meals so that they do not interfere with your workout. Its also a theory that exercising(with the exception of swimming) decreases your appetite so if you hold off you might not eat as much. So i suggest if you can't hold out and are absolutly starving, wait 2 hours after your meal.