Complete Setup Closet Grow Sog Environment

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by greenthumb412, Sep 5, 2014.

1. #1 greenthumb412, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    Hey all.  I've gotten so much information from grasscity that I figured I'd post for new farmers like myself and also ask opinions from all the veterans around b/c This is my First Grow!!!

Lets Begin with the Closet.  (apparently dirty ;3) IMG_20140904_184538_155.jpg
    On the left side of the closet I've made an area for seedlings/mother/clones (when I get there).  Right side is a 5'x3'x1.5'  tent(like a closet) and boy it just fit.  so that's the setup and heres more pics. IMG_20140904_184554_854.jpg
    seeeeedds.   There is 1 seedling that is not looking so great but was also bagseed of supposed lemon kush (semi viable imo). sex:unknown. and on day 4 24hr. a day T5HO fluorescent lights.  Medium- pH'ed rockwool, humidity dome.  The other cubes are: center 2 - Female!! Kaya Gold. 2 at the end away from seedling are 2 freebie seeds- sex:unknown.
    IMG_20140904_184622_770.jpg IMG_20140904_184640_898.jpg here is the seedling that isn't looking so well. also didn't have pH stuff so it is in tap water that is about 140ppms. (so new to this)
    The Tent IMG_20140904_184737_543.jpg Closet size tent has growbright 4" fan 170cfm.  400watt HPS with ballast (came preconnected).  and a pic of my intake clipfan :/ (also, do you think this is ok. IMG_20140904_184745_330.jpg IMG_20140904_184900_760.jpg . that is at bottom left, (intake hole) 
    Above top right and OUTside the tent is a carbon filter, (I forget size) but the prefilter white cover I resized and put into the middle because I am 'Blowing' air through.  The Reason for this is because with all the equipment in hand, I have one: 1 sided filter and one: 1 sided Air cooled light and  this seemed the only real way to filter scent out of ALL the air(a Y duct wouldn't work) IMG_20140904_184828_310.jpg IMG_20140822_175310_898.jpg

24hr a day T5HO for the seedling and clones (is the plan at least until transplant)
    Medium will be Coco-coir, and Aqua Flakes A and B.
    Ill follow along here with my growth and pics, but I must also Ask a question:   
    Given the Tent size. 
    Will 1 gallon pots be sufficient?
    for the intended SoG method, I plan to Cycle and have continuous Harvests.
    Another question is also when first giving nutrients to my plants do I subtract the 140 ppms for the tap water im using. (ill leave it out for a day before using)
    and finally, when can I switch to 18/6 cycle for the T5HO mom/clone/seeds room?

IMG_20140904_184840_315.jpg IMG_20140904_184851_542.jpg (of the 3 bag seeds I had(the sole female)

follow up everyone because I plan on getting this right xD.  Thanks for all the help and feel free to leave replies/questions/advice

2. Lots of views, but no replies/questions/answers :eek:
     I yet have another question.
      Im using Coco, and Aqua flakes A&B.  I have done a lot of reading and I still am unsure what other supplementary nutes to buy??  For ex: I think I should get Cal-Mag based on reading.  but what else might I need for :(3 stages) of my first grow??

3. #3 snoopdog6502, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014

Cal mag should do it. You dont need a lot of bottles of shit to grow good herb.

Might want to get a PH and a TDS meter.

4. oh hi!  :D

umm..coco needs extra calmag to balance it out. I don't know anything bout aquaflakes though.

ppms include what's in the tap...like if you have 150 ppm in your tap it's because of the cal, iron , and mag in there.

should be fine to go to 18/6....instead of 24/0

*yeh like snoop said, try to keep things simple. :)

5. tyty, cal mag otw, as well as final 2 thermometers/humidity gauges.  I am freaking out tho because I'm not sure what the temps are yet so I am guessing, & I am new,  & just built the rooms and the only germinated (bagseed) showing now has cotyledons that are turning blackish and wilted badly.  I have a dome and 1 t5HO( 2')and the warm air from the tent exhaust- But  could the wilted black cotyl leaves be because of just not a viable seed (it didn't really look great, but Hey. why not). or possibly temp? or RH, or tap water (that's my Non pH'ed tap water one).  We will see in a day or 2 I guess, but any input is great as I have a few pricey ones in germination in the same area.   Kaya Gold .Girls - 2 and if this is the right way- more to come! (staggered grow)

A dome is fine till they sprout then you want the dome off, sprouting seedlings need fresh air or they can get attacked by molds and pathogens.

A little link for your homework here..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_off

What you read there may save you some grief.

7. #7 greenthumb412, Sep 6, 2014
    Thank you very much for that info.  I believe that's right on as I didn't have a fan going before, but im not sure what to do here.  If I take the 1 seedling out and place it on its own it will get too cold from air circulation and I don't think its ready for transplant to coco.(it looks so dead lol) (also glad it was a test seed).  So where do I go with this rockwool seedling that cant be under dome and would get too cold or too warm, hell idk...  everything I have learned is getting mixed up!  Any instructional feedback appreciated.. I cant afford to mess this up :/

8. #8 greenthumb412, Sep 6, 2014
    So far I suppose all is good.  Here are 2 pics, 1 Kaya Gold f sprouted! and then the crappy looking one seems to live on  IMG_20140906_121956_668.jpg IMG_20140906_121943_035.jpg
    so patience is a requirement huh..o lord xD first time growing

9. Hey everyone and hows it going.  2 days later, All of the seedling broke surface! 2 kaya Fems:D, 2 freebie and I threw the other one away-sick/looked bad/have 4 others of which 2 are def female/and I don't think I should keep it around to spread anything like disease.  So heres a few pics before I took Ol' sicky poo out of there. 
    IMG_20140908_124452_580.jpg IMG_20140908_124510_405.jpg IMG_20140908_124512_656.jpg IMG_20140908_124805_048.jpg IMG_20140908_124840_579.jpg
    hwew is my bagseed Motivator!! got me started :D.   what do you think? anything else I need? look ok?

10. *something learned, dome is only necessary for first few days then they do better without that much humidity. 
    These 4 are loving without the dome. (makes me think of Under the Dome tv series xD)  Also Will they grow roots through these rockwools on their own?      how do I water at this stage, maybe Dab them in a puddle of distilled to moisten?    When should I remove the wrappers?

yes I do have TDS meter and pH kit
    Thx and feel free to Post anything related.  

11. I don't personally use rockwool, but from what I've read... I think you want to remove the wraps so they can breathe better. Roskwool sometimes has a problem of being too soggy and not getting enough air to the roots. Remember air to the roots is as important as water...this is why hydro grows so fast....lots of both. Some people prefer to water from the bottom up...just feed the tray and let the cubes absorb some of it....this also helps to prevent sogginess on the top of the cube.

I always recommend against domes, unless you're big Jim.....or if pink stars are falling in lines. ;)

Domes tend to trap too much humidity and can easily create stale environments that harbor mold and dampening off. You also will need to ween them off the humidity when you plan to remove it.  If the dome works well for you in the first few days, that's great...if it's working, keep doing it(but also give it a try without if you can spare a cutting) If in the future though, if you see any problems I described..then you know why.  :)   

12. #12 greenthumb412, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
    Ok guys, and ty for replies.  All 5 seedlings are Stretching a bit for the light and the 1 Kaya Gold f has a root out of the bottom! so I am going to wait a few days and then to the coco perlite. 
        2 questions today.    Ibought perlite that has miracle grow in it!! crap! is that gonna be ok with coco or should I run around to get different?
    also I have fungus gnats on my 1 and Only soil grow female 8days into flower.. kind of a test subject, but I am worried bevause I eventually plan on getting my coco flowering in there and there is already gnats.. (did some research and I think it is gnats.)  So what is the best solution.  I will be ordering online I bet, so cheap is a good word here :D.  ideas?

I do drain to waste, just watering really so Idk if the mosquito dunks are appropriate.  and Sand?? I hate sand..

ty in advance

13. #13 Bongsauce, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
    I used miracle grow perlite in the past and it worked out ok...not sure if you have the same kind.

On fungus gnats I'd put some yellow sticky traps near the base of the soil..(er coco). I'd vacuum the top inch or 2 of coco out when they're dry...that's where the majority of gnats and eggs are. They breed and reproduce in the top layer of coco/soil....you need to interrupt that cycle. Alot of people just spray chems on the top layer of soil or coco. Instead I prefer to just remove that toplayer, spray neem, put an inch of fresh coco, spray that too with neem. Also close up any open water sources and clean things up...keep things dry (not your plants, but the area in the room/grow)

If you use sprays I'd suggest starting light and if that doesn't knock em out then work your way up...neem, sand, azamax, mosquito dunks. Keep in mind there's no need to spray the plants...only the medium and maybe the drainage holes...and use yellow sticky traps at the coco level where they'll go to breed....rather then sticky traps on the walls, which would hardly catch any.

*also you can water from the bottom up rather then top watering. Like take a container of water and dunk the plants into it....but try to only saturate/submerge the bottom 1/2 or 3/4 of the pots to insure the top layer of coco/soil always stays dry.....they can only breed on a moist top layer.

14. I placed a bowl of water with some Palmolive dish soap and the gnats are leaving/dying.  I am watering from the bottom also so that I keep the top layer dry. IMG_20140911_195659_407.jpg IMG_20140911_195725_242.jpg IMG_20140911_195741_512.jpg IMG_20140911_195747_684.jpg   this girl is into week 2 of flowering, and my other 4 seedlings look nice and tap root is showing through bottom of cube.  With rockwool cubes, should I wait until there are maybe 4 more visible roots?  I have 1 tap root showing in 3/4 seedlings and I'm trying to wait a day or so to transplant. it has been 10 days.  Am I waiting for roots to fill the cube? or more just a few poking out (what I have now).  I will be moving to coco/perlite 1 gallon pots for the one and only transplant (I think 1 gallon pot will yield a few plants that will fit in under 4'plus light hood - sound right? or bigger?).  (will this suffice for my 1.5x3x5' closet type tent?    
    Other than soaking the coco/perlite through with distilled water, anything else I need to do to prepare for transplant?  I read that it is better towards the dark cycle so that the seedling can "rest".   

Thx all in advance and again Post anything related here, feel free :D

15. #15 Bongsauce, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    I don't know too much about the rockwool stuff. +Snoopdog6502 @[member="snoopdog6502"]    uses that stuff though.  ..how the hell do you tag someone on here? (yey it worked!)

I personally prefer to let my roots get a few inches long..then I can start feeding.

..I dunno about the dark thing.....I just do it whenever.

Yeh I think 1-2 gallons is about right for your area...just so they're not crammed in there...or there's no big gap where you could fit another plant   ;)

16. #16 DazedAndStoned, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    From what I have read it s fine to wait for some roots to come out of the rockwool before transplanting. However if it's like Medusa and roots are everywhere I'd get those girls into their pots soon. When watering try to put water under the cubes and let them suck it up via osmosis. I drowned my seedlings thanks to how well rockwool holds water
    Miracle grow perlite should be okay, pretty sure it has a light coating of nutes. Like 1-1-1 or something like that. I used it for my outdoor plants this year and they loved that stuff

I don't think it matters about the dark, I always do it during their light time so as not to disturb the plant when sleeping, I hate being woken up, I'm sure MMJ does too :p

Sent from my Spaceship using the GrassCity App.

17. all of you Thx fellers! . gj. so far I believe I have a decent "habitat" for ma ladies. I expected 1 or 2 to not make it, but I found a few bag seeds more :ey: .  Will keep you updated, also guys, week 2 flower and she only smells a little bit! when will their hormones be Very stinky? le stinkiest

18. also TEMP. I have read a lot about temp and humidity, but what is best???   temp seems cool for the optimal range, they look ok, but is it a cool feel to the optimal temp range? 

19. update!  transplanted seedlings (prob too early lol) but I think its just fine.  I used a mix of perlite and coco...but the perlite had a .7/.7/.7 npk (miracle grow...oops)so I just used distilled water and am using the perlite as a light nutrient base.  Thoughts?? hopefully the 30/70% perlite/coco isn't too much for the lil girls with that nute  perlite.  so now we have pics!!   the Veg side of this closet/flower tent area. - IMG_20140917_131500_598.jpg IMG_20140917_130719_190.jpg IMG_20140917_130803_500.jpg IMG_20140917_130807_958.jpg IMG_20140917_130818_353.jpg IMG_20140917_130828_929.jpg these are my 2 kaya ladies and 2 freebie seeds
    the milk jug is another 3 bagseeds(they always come when you don't need em xD) The next pic is the 1 flowering female just reaching week 3 and as u can see, a few issues.  the bottom leaves are drying and falling off, bottom up, and seems to be fan leaves only.(after research I think it is fungus gnats but is it Only fungus gnats??  I see fungus gnats and have a bowl of water/soap and killed some and now have a fly ribbon as well, and am Drying top layer of soil. ((This is soil, first time, accidental sprout, got me started on this project - the motivator )) here are a few pics of her and the lower leaves (to help see what the damage is)- IMG_20140917_130923_905.jpg IMG_20140917_130930_974.jpg IMG_20140917_131329_733.jpg IMG_20140917_131332_674.jpg and finally IMG_20140917_131158_887.jpg -the cola :D 1 and only for this noobs first plant. and this just looked cool IMG_20140917_131214_304.jpg
    I will be using aqua a/B for whole grow - and equal parts of each (which is interesting) and some Calmag. and distilled water.  IMG_20140917_131704_555.jpg I plan on using this bucket to 'dunk' the plants and let drain, this seem ok? . IMG_20140917_131714_066.jpg I plan on starting on a very low ppm - about 150 after 1 week ok for the new transplants and some calmag.  calmag Every watering?? and for this size and medium should I be ok with watering 1 time a day? or 2 times a week maybe?

if anyone notices that I am not doing something or doing it wrong let me know lol. feel free to post anything related and criticism is welcome!

Attached Files:

20. for the gnats also use yellow sticky traps near the soil...you can make them yourself if ya want...tehy jsut need to be yellow and sticky....maybe something like honey on a yellow post-it would work.

dunking is fine..just keep in mind the last plant you dunk is going into water with a bunch of runoff in it..

I think the drying off and dying of lower leaves is nitrogen and phosphorous deficiency....looks like maybe some magnesium deficiency too at the top (the twisty leaves)