Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Gre Funky, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

First time poster here, but have been browsing around for a good few years. Hoping to begin my first grow in the near future, the plan is to smoke all my own stuff, so my primary focus is on getting potent and great tasting bud, for this reason I chose organics. 
    I have a 1.2m by 1.2m by 2m (height) tent, with a 600w HPS bulb. Plan on getting 5 different Indica strains and growing them in 5 gallon smart/fabric pots with ITGs organic soil mix (http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html).

I have a few questions which I couldn't find specific answers for on the forums...

Firstly, I roughly plan to use equal parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite and EWC/Compost. I can obtain the Perlite, EWC and Compost easily in the UK, however the Peat Moss is hard to find without paying a fortune for shipping. I have managed to find some Irish Peat Moss, would this be a suitable replacement?

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good combination of amendments for this grow. I was planning to stick to the guide, but a lot of the products mentioned are hard to get a hold off here in the UK. Preferably I want to create the soil mix and let it sit for 3-4 weeks before using it and then only use water for the rest of the plants life, with the exception of amendment toppings when needed. Is this possible? And what are the best combination of amendments to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. #2 over dere, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

Gre Funky

Yes it can and some peat moss suppliers in your part of the world use a rating system called The Von Post Scale for Assessing Peat Decomposition from the University of Ulster and what you want to find, if possible, is H1, H2 or H3

That will get you where you want to be with this material...

HTH

3. Thanks, appreciate the info.