Perlite Use

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by chronixx24, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Ait thanks!

2. What new scientific evidence do you have to support this incredible claim? People need to stop posting crazy things.

I cannot see any reason perlite would be "very bad" for plants. It is inert.

3. Is Perlite styrofoam?? lol

I've always used perlite to areate my soils.

4. Open a fresh bag of perlite shake it around and breathe in that dust I wouldn't want that in my plants

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

That doesn't mean plants are harmed by it, you are comparing very different things here. I am using extra perlite for the first time and this is the first I've heard it is "bad." I am open to new information though, so if you had better evidence that it is harmful to the plants I would be happy to hear.

6. #8 Julius Caesar, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015

I wouldn't want to breathe water either, but my plants tend to like it. PS - wear a mask.

It is a special type of volcanic glass. It is completely inert, but it is critical to creating air pockets in your soil. Perlite is a good thing.

7. It might contain silica dust or something. Bad for lungs, good for plants.

Oh ok! I was questionning myself, because the link that OP posted is for styrofoam not perlite... lol  Had to Google translate the ducth word! :p

I always put a lot of perlite in my soil, Cannabis loves air for the roots! :)

9. Your talking out of your ass bro...

Chef.

10. Most NORMAL people rinse the bag through first.

This means they don't breath it in and their plants don't get it.
    But maybe you wouldn't think of something that smart since you just told someone to sniff it and perlite is shit

Chef.

11. hmmm didn't think of rinsing it...

I just stop breathing, throw the bag in and run away until the dust settles... hahahaha

12. What should i put if i cant get perlite on my island...

13. Where you live bro?

Chef.

14. Really??? perlite is great ive used on my two grows and it works a treat.why my friend would you advise people not to use perlite??

15. Carribean...

16. Sint maarten...