Help Please.. Semi Mini Stealth Grow...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BraveStoner, Sep 3, 2014.

1. http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1329588-help-needed-confused-need-some-clarification.html

this is the previous topic but noone responded so i assumed it was in the wrong thread... so if someone could help me PLEASEEE

Hello Everyone... 

I am here today because i have searched and read your forums for some time. without making a account  (just reading and building) and i have come to a huge confusion with the DIY carbon filter and how everything with all work. (i am bad at math and just fall apart all together on the topic completely) so that in mind i have done what i can as to calculating cfm and the cubic inch size of the pantry i want to grow in. i have built a stealthgrow out of old computer case and the one problem i ran into is that it smells really quickly and i can't have that.
    now. i bought and built a pantry. Dimensions: 59.5 H x 23.75 W x 12.5" D (151 x 60.3 x 31.8 cm) now i calculated the cubic inches inside for a carbon filter...  and it's 17, 664.0625 so to calculate cfm's needed i did the conversion(website)...  it's something like 60 rotations  needed... if i am correct.. it should be overkill. i built the carbon filter (photos attached) and it's a 4inch to 2 inch reducer.. if i do recall.. if not it's 4 to 3 or something like that. anyways. i put chicken wire inside the reducer and from the end (side with black panty hose and o clamp) to where the chicken wire is inside is roughly 2 inches and that space is what i have filled with carbon... soooo it's 2 inches thick... and it's diameter is around 2 inches at the end* but keep in mind the chicken wire placed inside might have a bigger diameter by a hair.  now regarding fans... i bought a computer fan for intake.. it's a corsair AF 140mm . now that will be blowing air in (according to MY math it should be enough) now.. for the fan that is going to be the exaust and blow the air out.. i was going to get a Corsair SP 120mm  and again according to MY math... it should be enough. BUT when  i went to the store to buy said fans. i bought the intake. but the exaust one looked like it would have leaking because it's JUST abit bigger then the opening on the reducer... is there a way AROUND this? and or a fan that will fit it perfectly? how does this all work? 

SIDE NOTES...

i have the pantry assembled and the inside is aluminum taped. i am going to use mylar and such for the doors to make sure the thing is air tight.  i have NO CLUE on how hot the pantry will get yet.. as i haven't set up the light's inside and stuff.. but i want to get everything in order and set up and working then having plants grow and dank then busted.. 

RECAP...

Pantry will be in my room. parents know i smoke, and are ok with me smoking cigarettes in my room occasionally i burn... but i know the plants give off a different type of odor and i want to get that eliminated.. (of course it will smell when doors open but that will be when they aren't around etc.)  i have the bulbs and everything.. the lights and everything are ok. i just need to see what they get the space heat to and if the fans can indeed work to cool.. but i would like to get this all sorted by someone who is good at this and knows what they are doing. i just do not trust myself enough haha. 

if you made it this far... i apreciate your time and i hope you can help! 
    THANKS SO MUCHHHH 

2. #2 Bongsauce, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    I don't see any pics.

hi dude. It's hard to imagine everything without a photo but I'll try.

If you're reducing your carbon filter to 2 inches...it's essentially a 2" filter....and if a 4" fan is connected to that you're adding alot of resistance on the fan. 2 inches seems really thick for a carbon layer....I run a small box about the size of yours and I cool it and filter it with a pair of 80mm pc fans and pencil holder style diy filters.  It's best to match the filter size to the fan size.

You don't need an intake fan.

It doesn't need to be air tight...just light tight. Your connection of your exhaust fan to your filter needs to be airtight, that's it.

A box that size should be filled with about 150w of light...

You should post some pics and a drawing or w/e of how you plan on designing it.

*ok I see in your other thread the pics of the filter. Usually carbon filters have a much thinner layer of carbon...those pencil holder filters I linked have about 1/4 inch thick of carbon and they work awesome...A thicker layer will add much more restriction on the fan, reducing airflow. I think that filter would be better used for your pc if you can hide it on the back or something...I think you'll need a filter (s) with more surface area for the cabinet since it will be handling much more cfm.