My Firstgrow. Dresser Cfl/hps

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Hyouma, Sep 2, 2014.

1. I recently started growing, after a lot of research. Haven't spent anything, this whole set up made of spare parts I had around the house.

First, I'd like to ask if my hps ballast is safe. it's meant to be hooked directly to a junction box, but I wired it with an old computercable. (+,-, & ground)

Next, do I have enough lighting?
    2 12w cfl
    1 32w cfl
    1 70w hps

Lastly, hows my plant look? I broke the stem a little when transplanting so I put it a little deeper. The day after,it hadn't grown very much, but that might've been shock. It's back on track now with a second set of leaves coming in. just put the hps in tonight, but it's been a week since I dropped the seed

*Pics
    The white strands on the cord are thermal "hairs." they're in older cables to make sure they dont overheat
    I have an old fan that I suspended from the top
    The hps is sitting on old ps2 games, is this a fire hazard?
    The poor little seedling

Attached Files:

2. Using Sta-Green vegetable & flower soil as well, like I said, put this together from stuff I had laying around the house

3. How can I tell whether or not it's sativa or indica?

4. I'm not sure if this image is right...

5. It looks like a variation of sativa and indica, guess I'll have to wait til my leaves get bigger

6. Been busy caulking seams and fixing light leaks. Very little new growth so far

7. rearranged the grow space a little. think it'll help. Also threw a little mint in there for shits and giggles

Attached Files:

8. Here for the ride along buddy good luck!

9. Thanks for stopping by!

I only veg'd for a few days in the windowsil while I put together the cab and after another day under the cfl's, I threw it into 12/12. gonna do 1 or 2 more 12/12 from seed if I can. Moving in a few months and this is my first grow so I want to do it quick, as a learning experience

10. Today is day 8 and you can see the third set of leaves starting to grow, so I started LST. Is it too early? If not, should I raise my lights a few inches to promote stretching?

Attached Files:

11. *bump* did I start lst too early?

12. In general I think you'd want to keep the light as close as possible, to limit the amount of stretch. Im just starting my first grow but from what ive read youll experience a huge stretch forst two weeks of flower. And I also think you should be fine to start LST this early but don't quote me on it lol.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I've also heard that, and I guess you're right. grow out not up.
    Thanks, I figure starting now and experimenting with topping or fimming will help increase my yield. This is gonna be a learning experience, but you always wanna get the most you can :p

Oops, sorry, I quoted you lol

14. I fiured I'd go ahead and update with a pic, 2 new leaves.... Again! Doesn't she look happy?

Attached Files:

15. Todays pics and a question, can I do anything to make the plant branch out at htis point or will those leave eventually grow out and become branches?

Attached Files:

16. I would let it grow until you get a 4th set of leaves then start bending her over a little at a time. Then top her after a 5th set of leaves grow in.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. I top by pinching the leaves off, right? Should I wait til they grow a little or do it right when they appear?

18. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409959936.440856.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409959965.052314.jpg

19. I use scissors. I dip them in some alcohol first and just snip right above the fourth set of leaves.

20. Alright, thanks for the advice!