Week Old Seedlings Not Doing Good

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SmerkedOut, Aug 31, 2014.

1. What the hell is happening to my babies?

Attached Files:

2. #42 homer simpson, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014

Are you in plain water, or are you still using the nutrients?  I really think you need to be on plain water until well into week 2 maybe even 3 , that's just my 2 cents.

Is this flooding cycle what you are using, 10 min every 8hours?  Sounds a little infrequent to me, where did you get that number?.  Most people using ebb and flow will water approximately every 3.5 hours starting on lights on, give or take depending on your setup, and for no longer than 30 minutes absolute max.  8 hours is a bit too long in between waterings during lights on.  Lights off you will probably need at least 1 flood.  Kind of surprised no one else questioned that.  If you typed that correctly, that's certainly something you need to adjust.

As far as your reservoir I'd get some white film and cover anything black t, it's certainly heating it.  I'd also try and cover the rocks at the top if that doesn't do the trick, if you have algea there is light getting in somehow.  After that if 6 frozen bottles aren't able to keep it below 70, either your thermometer is broken, or you need to re-engineer this setup a bit IMO.  75f is your room temp, is this taken at canopy level?  Seems strange your room temp is so low yet res temp so high. 

I might back the light off a few inches too.  

Whatever you do, do not feed them yet, the issues you are having are not because they are hungry.  Seedling feeding schedule is very much different than that of a re-vegged plant.  Only pointing that out because someone compared your seedlings to their re-vegged plant, that's not a great comparison to make.  The roots on those seedlings are pretty sensitive compared to an established plant or clone.

3. A few days ago I flushed my res and scrubbed it with bleach (I had a bacteria problem). Then I filled up with RO water and pH balanced it to 5.5 (a little low, but it was fighting me) and I add 100ml of Hydrogen Peroxide every night (that's not a lot since my res is 7 gallons).

Yes, I water 3 times a day (every 8 hours) and the pump stays on for 10 minutes each time. My lights are running 24/0 right now because I read that's best for seedlings. Even watering only every 8 hours, my cubes never dry out. They're actually pretty wet the whole time. Because these use so little water compared to a large plant, so they don't drink a whole lot yet. 

I don't have any normal thermometers, so I don't actually know the room temp. My AC unit is set to 70, but I know the room isn't that cold. 

4. Hey guys, I'm moving into my new setup, which has a 1000w HPS. It can also dim to 400 or 600 watts. What should I set it at, and how high above the leaves should the light be?

5. Maybe 4 or 600 I'd say, the same tent right? You don't want it to get too hot in there.

6. No, big ass 4x4x7 foot tent with pretty decent ducting. I mean, the light radiates a little heat, but not much at all. 

7. Your plants are burned. Dont give them anything but ph'ed water every other day. As far as the light all you need for those lil plants is the 400w, 12 -20 inches from the tops (if its air cooled). Until the plants mature and get more foliage you wont need to up your setting. Extra light isnt worth jack if you fry your plants in the process

grower of the goodz

8. I should only water once every 2 days?

9. #49 stavi23, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
    Yeah and after you have flushed the medium sufficiently only water enough to saturate the space the roots occupy

grower of the goodz

10. #50 SmerkedOut, Sep 19, 2014
    So I'm gonna wanna just hand water for a while then. Will adding a LITTLE hydrogen peroxide hurt? I've been using it for a few days and it seemed to help a ton with root development. 

11. Im not one to ask about peroxide and roots. Never tried it. All i can say is with newly rooted clones or seeding less is almost always more

grower of the goodz

12. #52 SmerkedOut, Sep 19, 2014
    Okay, I'm letting my cubes dry out a little bit (they're soaked), and then I'll set them up under my HPS and give them a watering. I really hope they can liven up... They really don't look like 3 week old plants should. 

13. The growth will stop until they get back on track

grower of the goodz

14. #54 SmerkedOut, Sep 19, 2014
    How do I get them back on track? Just watering once every 2 days like you said? And I'm thinking about starting 2 more seeds, so what can I do to make sure I don't fuck those up? I'm gonna be using the GH rapid rooters for these 2 new seeds since I heard they're much better and easier. 

15. Shit i just was reading that its a flow table grow. Just dont let the roots dry out. Might be hard in your medium. Plain water and high humidity

grower of the goodz

16. #56 SmerkedOut, Sep 19, 2014
    Wait, should I put these in a humidity dome or did you mean for when I do my new seeds?

And for the GH rapid rooter plugs, do I need to buy the tray, or can I use the tray I already have?

17. High humidity will help the leaves retain moisture. You dont need the tray anything will do as long as it keeps the root zone warm to permote growth

grower of the goodz

18. How warm is warm? Because a couple FCL's in my small tent could get it to 80. 

19. When the rapid rooters are ready, do I put them into the large rockwool cubes, or plant the rapid rooter right into the hydroton?

20. Just warmer than the air temp. And u could do either way.

grower of the goodz