Week Old Seedlings Not Doing Good

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SmerkedOut, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Currently it's 6 gallons but I'm getting a bigger setup pretty soon. 

I've got one of those Whisper 60 gallon pumps going into a tee into a single 4 inch air disc. That pump does 2.61L/M.

Ice bottle? Do you mean like freeze a water bottle into a makeshift ice pack? Or actually put ice into the res?

2. Freeze a water bottle. Or more like 5-6.

3. Okay, thank for the tip! How often will the bottles need to be changed? 

Also, is that enough air? Because I have a 45lpm pump running on my 55 gallon barrel storing my RO water. If I need to, I can switch out the pumps until I can buy another good one. 

4. This is just a 16.9 ounce bottle in my 5 gal. I just check to see if its melted completely or if the water temp is creepn back up. Then change it.

As for that, I'm still a complete beginner as this is my first go at growing but 1lpm for every 2 litres of nutrient solution is the recommendation i see the most.
    The more air the better though.

Attached Files:

5. Oh so you only put 1 bottle in the res at a time. That makes a lot more sense haha

I think I'll switch out the air pumps, I mean why not! I'll use the Whisper 60 gallon pump for the barrel until I get paid so I can buy another commercial grade air pump.  

6. Yeah only one at a time. One frozen solid made my temp go from 71.2 down to 62.6 in about a half hour.

Attached Files:

7. Okay I've got the water bottles in the freezer, they should be solid in 8 hours or so. I hope this saves my babies!

8. Idk bro hopefully. I have struggling seedlings as well, maybe past the point of restoration but I'm glad I'm learning all the problems now I guess. Any updated pics?

9. They still pretty much look like the last pics. I just now put an ice pack in my res, so that'll take a little bit to cool down. And it's an ebb and flow, so they won't even get fed the cooled water for 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

10. Damn it... I've been putting 2 bottles in at a time, and they melt in under an hour, and my water temps are still at like 72. I need to get my chiller figured out SOON....

11. #31 SmerkedOut, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
    Its time for a res change, so what should I do? Should I use just my RO water, or should I add nutrients? If I should add nutrients, how much of each should I use? Remember I'm using GH Flora series. 

Here's what they look like right now
    100_2461.JPG 100_2463.JPG

Sorry about the crap out of focus pics, I'm working on getting a better camera

12. Any input? I don't wanna be annoying but I really need to know this

13. They are starting to look like mine some, I would do change, with no nutes, its too young I think. Those yellow tips are burn I believe.

14. Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I rinsed and scrubbed my res with bleach because I had algae growing in there. Of course the plants were taken out for this. Then after properly flushing all the bleach out, I filled up with my RO water, and  added a little hydrogen peroxide. I know it's a debated thing, but it seems to be helping. And at this point, it can't hurt!

15. I'm subbed to this because me and you are in a fairly similar situation.
    May I ask what your temp and rh is?
    Gotta find out where that algae is getting its light source, and light proof a bit. One thing I learned is not to have the rockwool completely bare. I would maybe cover it up with more hydroton.

16. My temps are way too high. Even putting in 6 frozen water bottles at a time won't get me down to 60f. 
    My pH is sitting pretty perfect at 5.6 to 5.7.
    I have no clue how light is getting in. Both of my containers are spray painted black so there shouldn't be much if any light. My cubes are uncovered though so that's probably it. 

17. Do you have a journal my man?

If you don't, I would suggest making one, soo much invaluable help I've received from the hydro pros around here.
    Your black res actually might retain heat. And make your water warm as hell.

18. I'm not entirely sure how important the water temp is with ebb & flow, I'm using dwc as my first time so its almost essential.

19. #40 SmerkedOut, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    Oh. Well the peroxide I added seems to be doing wonders for my plants. The roots have grown so much in the last little bit compared to before. It's worth a try for sure! I added 150ml of regular 3% peroxide to my 7 gallon res, so figure out what that means for your setup. 

Also, the yellow color is leaving the leaves and they are turning back green very fast! I don't wanna make any conclusions too fast but for right not it looks to be working magic!