Week Old Seedlings Not Doing Good

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SmerkedOut, Aug 31, 2014.

1. #1 SmerkedOut, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    Help! I had my seedlings in rockwool cubes that were open to the air. I watered them, but they dried out very quick. Now, the seedlings slumped over. The leaves on the tall one are wilted pretty bad, but the small one looks perfectly fine, just slumped over. I watered them, and built humidity domes. Do you think they will recover? Should I scrap them and start with new seeds?

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro (Rockwool)
    What brand and type of soil? <span>Grodan 1.5in starter cubes

Indoors or outdoors? <span>Indoor
    What strain? Feminized White Widow
    How old are the plants? about 1 week from seed
    What type of lights and how many watts? 6 23 watt daylight CFL & 6 26 watt warm CFL
    How far from the lights? 6 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? every 8 hours from spray bottle. RO water from filling machine
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Plain RO water when the top of the cube felt only slightly damp
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? Not sure, cubes were soaked in 5.5 and watering with 5.7 water
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75F, high humidity in homemade dome
    What size pots? N/A
    Any bugs? Look real close. No
    Any other pertinent info? The cubes were left too long and got completely dry. Both seedlings slumped over, and the taller one is pretty wilted. The smaller one looks fine just fallen over. </span></span>

2. #2 SmerkedOut, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    I was gonna attach pictures but it kept saying "Upload Skipped (Error IO)". Any help with that?

3. Help! Is there anything I can do to save them? And can I fix the uploader so you can see the problem?

4. Start new seeds and just cross your fingers on the slumped ones. I have never used anything but soil to grow in though so I really can't say much as to how to fix.

5. She shorter one straightened out, and looks like it's doing fine. The tall one still looks dehydrated (stem is flattened and leaves are curled) but it looks like it's got new growth coming in. I'm not sure what's up with it. 

6. Well, I ended up getting rid of the tall one that fell over, but the short one seems to be doing good. I also replanted a seed and it's growing decently. They both have a little discoloration though which is worrying me. Can anyone tell me if these 2 are okay?
    100_2385.JPG
    100_2386.JPG

7. They look like they're hungry. In my opinion (I'm a new grower, so take other advice over mine) chill on the watering, let the plant tell you when it needs to be watered (it'll droop). I had those same brown spots and they spread over my spear leaves and the spear leaves ended up dying; I transplanted my plant out of the soil it was in, into some rich fertilized soil and it took off.

8. They're in an Ebb & Flow table watering for 10 min every 8 hours right now.
    My nutrients is currently:
    .5mL/gallon Gro
    .5mL/gallon Bloom
    1mL/gallon Micro

My water is about 12ppm RO water, and my nutrient mix was about 165 which mean the nutrient concentration is about 150-155ppm. 

Would you say that's watering too often? And do you think that nutrient mix is too weak?

9. #9 maximus3256, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    Well tell me, when you added your nutrient solution in the water, and let the plants feed for a bit, did the PPM drop or did it rise?

EDIT: If it rose, you might have nute-burn. If it dropped, then your plants are probably a little hungry, and looking for some more nutes. That's my novice opinion, anyways. I'd wait until someone more expierenced posts here and see what they have to say. They might be able to help you further, and also correct me if I'm wrong.

10. I just checked it and my PPM was up by about 50. I flushed the rockwool with clean water, and I drained some of the res and refilled with RO water. Now the res is at about 100ppm, so we'll see how they do. 

11. They are a little young to be fed IMO no matter the medium.

12. Did you soak the rock wool in pH'd water?

13. #13 SmerkedOut, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    Yes I did. The cubes soaked for a few hours in PH 5.5 water. And my nutrient solution is sitting nice right around 5.7.

Here's what the plants look like right now. They've fed 2 times since I adjusted the PPM. They look a little healthier to me, what about you guys?

100_2388.JPG 100_2389.JPG

The cubes are still damp on the top, but the leaves aren't really drooping at all. Do you think I'm over watering or is this good since the plants aren't drooping? 

14. In the future use "root plugs" no phing required.

Exact same function without all the work and bs problems.

I have a plant that size with 170ppm and its doing fine. Its a reveg.

Consider getting some cannazym to keep roots clean n healthy.

They should recover if you keep at it. Youre doing all the right things man.

Keep up the good work.

15. I just checked my pH, and the meter also does temp. pH is fine, but the water temp is 77.4 degrees. From what I've read, this this is too hot, right? I want closer to 70 right?

16. You want under 70 if you can, low 60's if possible.

17. Oh damn, that's low. But I think I'll be able to make it happen. It's gonna take a couple days though so I really hope they can hang in there. 

18. What size is your res?

19. What is your oxygen situation lookin like?

20. #20 Minnesotafresh89, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    Just gotta do the ice bottle shuffle my man.
    It is a pain in the ass but that water is too warm. Unless you have a ton of air in there.