Need An Electricians Help Please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 4sweetgreen20, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Hey so I'm about to set up my first DIY home grow and I would really like an electrician or someone who knows about electrical safety to take a look at my small setup. Safety first right!!!!

So I made my light fixture using out of these ...
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409445347.833225.jpg

I wired it up to an xbox360 power cord and added three of these...
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409445422.487124.jpg

To hold six CFLs with these ratings...
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409445494.591489.jpg

And the xbox cord is plugged into a digital timer with these safety warnings... ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409445561.181991.jpg

Can any please help me to understand if this is safe to run? Going to be doing autos on an 18/6 light schedule and a few plays from a few blades would be very reassuring. Thanks

2. Maybe I posted this in the wrong section! Anyone have any ideas where I should move this question to??

3. My primary concern is that the power cord and the chassis of the light fixture are grounded properly.  (make sure the power cord has the 3 prongs and connect the green wire to the green wire that should be screwed to the light fixture somewhere)

As far as the ratings go, you are perfectly safe and within the tolerances of the timer, fixture, and a normal power cord (i.e. one salvaged from an old monitor, xbox, etc.), so no worries about overloading or overheating the cord or the timer.

Make sure that your splices are good and tight in the wire nuts and it wouldn't hurt to tape them up.  Don't keep the wiring too tight so that they pull apart.  I usually fold my wiring over on itself and use a couple of cable ties or some more tape to make sure that if it gets pulled tight for some reason, the connections won't pull apart.

Good luck, and be safe!

4. 6x23=168w   168 watts is 1.4 amps at 120v.  As long as your power wire is a typical 18 gauge that should be safe.  18 gauge can carry 3 amps easily.

5. @[member="JBX"] thanks man, definitely safety first man that's why I asked lol and the ground is hooked up so I'm believe good thank you.
    @hrdrolome thanks man appreciate the second voice when it comes to this stuff

6. @[member="Hydrolome"] corrected

7. You are using nothing for power. a coffee pot uses 5 times that.

You will be fine.

8. Thank snoop Better safe then sorry. Bout to put up some picks 3 little girls broke ground last night