What If Our Waking State Was Not What Life Was Really About?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ChristopherABrown, Aug 30, 2014.

1. #1 ChristopherABrown, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    Consider this; One third of your life is spent sleeping.  While you are awake, you are still 86% unconscious.  Each and every conscious waking state period, 16 hours each day, is completly separated from the next by 8 hours of total unconsciousness.

Essentially, we are more unconscious in our existence than we are conscious.  In the diagram below, the black body underneath shows the proportions and the fact that the unconscious is continuous.  Vertically the black under the white gap, the waking state, is 86% of the total vertical.  The total vertical in black is the sleep state.
    [​IMG]

2. Where are you getting the '86% unconscious' statistic?

3. care to elaborate on this? 

4. If I were to consider the alleged statistics as truth, then it would beg the question - is what I deem best for myself in waking life, as good for me in equal measure in unconscious rest? Which would be determined by individual priorities - typically an effect heavily influenced by nurture, and only slightly by nature.

5. What If Our Waking State Was Not What Life Was Really About?

What if it is?

6. All of your autonomic functions as well as your associative capacity controlling your reactive responses based in long term memory, that which you can access, are all unconscious.  A vast system of nueral and perceptive networking operating faster than you can think with your left, cognitive mind.

7. Implicitly, a relative statement, but mostly relating to what we do with our waking state that our unconscious regards.

So your statistic, now altered from your original post (hint hint), comes from a source about unconscious processing, from a limited source of knowledgeable applicants, focused on market research? On top of that, the given answer was not only contested by its viewers, but also is claimed to not be the unconscious, but 'stem' from it?

Have you personally researched this subject?

9. Yes, valuation is the key.  Is it just oneself, or, is it of something unknown to the conscious, but immersed in by the unconscious.

"what I deem best for myself in waking life"​

Yes, extensively.  Mostly learning that there is very little known about it.  Stemming from the unconscious is justifiably about the same thing as "of the unconscious.

11. Then please justify it to me, and the other points I brought up.

12. #13 ChristopherABrown, Aug 30, 2014
    The statistic is not fixed because the research is not purely to understand the unconscious, apparently a limited marketing research. The fact basically supports my contention. Even that the researchers findings were contested supports it, IF the researchers were controlled by their unconscious mind.

My original point was substantiated by the results of a quick search.

Perhaps if you were to try a search substantiating your points, rather than relying on me alone to support what I already know to be grossly inadequate research.

13. Even when people are awake, most of them are still unconscious.  Always defining themselves by the external, never bothering to look within themselves to see the truth.  Not knocking them, it's part of how things are...and who am I to argue with that. 

14. I'm not the one making claims. Nor did that substantiate yours.

Inadequate research on the matter seems about right. Maybe you could head your own study.

15. #16 ChristopherABrown, Aug 30, 2014
    It seems any research disputed or not that asserts a large part of waking state performance is unconscious supports the original claim.

At this point I must state that I am studying our unconscious existence, and I've learned that people do not want to know about it. Meaning that just about any study that is not very authoritative is going to be disputed. The study also indicates humanity needs to know about it. Essentially revealing the species survival pivots on using knowledge of the unconscious.

16.  Yes, that is about the way I see it.  Even knowing that about oneself doesn't seem to cause much more conscious apprehension.

One of the tendencies that does mostly disapear by being aware of the unconscious control is the mental action that has us assuming that other people think like we think.  However, knowing something most people do not want to know like the fact of the unconscious controlling us even while waking, with its myriad implications, tends to create the impression in one, that because others should want to know, that they do want to know.  Not the case.

In speculation I've attributed this to epigenetic change caused with the past severe persecution of ancient people who used the unconscious for keeping oral histories and medicine.  It was not safe to know, and a matter of survival to never let anyone you did know of the unconscious control over us, if you did know.  This effects the production of brain cells capable of knowing.  Naturally the next generation knows less and less successively.

Sadly, there appears to be an intentional design to the overall event.

17. What if?
    Who knows.
    Obviousy

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. OP has been having some fucked dreams lately

19. Actually, obviously, each of us knows, because we each have an unconscious. It is WE who do not know. It is a societal rejection of the knowledge.

It is our society that is collectively acting in a way that will destroy itself, not ourselves individually. And science is just as afraid as we are.

http://algoxy.com/treasonresist.html

The first tool of science is the mind, and they are too afraid of it to even discuss it.