Led Or Hps For 5X5?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DClayton, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Anyone have any experience with using LED's for a 5x5' grow tent?

I am planning on using a 1000w HPS hortilux bulb that I have, but I want to know if I could replace that with LEDS without sacrificing yeilds?

I just want to know if I can use less electricity and keep heat lower without sacrificing yeild on the plants. My plan is to have 4-5 flowering plants in this tent ( half of them being early flower and half being mature)

2. My 5x5 with 1000w hps is having some serious heat issues. Im venting the hood and have a can fan venting the tent and Im still getting an unacceptable hot spot under the light and ambient temps are way higher than I want them to be. Im considering dropping down to a 600w or installing an airconditioning unit. My LED 5x5 tent has no such issue, using the 1600w Mars2. Actual power usage is like 750w or something and its advertised as being comparable to the a 1000w hid in terms of production, but I cant verify that yet. 

3. Thanks man, I've run that light before in there and temps were alright. By can can do you mean an Inline fan meant for ducting? I was told by a local vendor you need a serious fan like a vortex. The cfm rating on those duct fans seem high but they are meant to help move air through duct work, they don't work well for air exchange In a large grow tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Just picked up 4 Solarspec 260w LEDs and hung them in a 5x5 a few weeks back. Pulled down all the ducting
    from the 1000w that was in there. Much cooler now and with the white LED light, it is easier to see the true color
    of your plants' leaves than the HPS. About to flip over to flower soon. So far, the veg is surprisingly good.

-PG