Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ^ im still waitin on a male too

• Like Like x 2
  2. I've got some nice studs selected I think. I'll get some pictures soon.

Sucks because I won a pack of Dawg Brains (Brainstorm Haze x Chem 4) and 3/4 were males. 1 did not germ.  My 5 seeds of Romulan Diesel 4/5 males as well.  So I will be making F2's with both these strains.  Might cross a SUPER STINKY Kush x NL male on  a select branch of each of these as well.

Since I have no room for mothers, back crossing or any of that stuff, think it's a good idea to use the pollen from 2 males to get more genetic variety?  Was thinking of collecting pollen from 2 Dawg Brains Males, mix it together and dust the plant with it.  Small plants so the whole plant will be pollinated.

3. I would use the pollen and cross as many strains as possible to keep genetics on hand in seed form.

4. #104 Brother Urb, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    Definitely brotha.  That is the plan.  But what I'm asking is should I use pollen from more than 1 male to make said f2's? For this crop, I simply want to preserve the 2 strains in f2's.  Romulan Diesel and Dawg Brains.

Traditionally one would use several males, grow out the progeny and see which male made the best progeny while keeping a cut of the male alive to continue using him for breeding right?  There's really no way to tell if a male is proven until you try the kids.

Since I don't have room or ability to do that, I'm thinking of just using the pollen from 2 or 3 males, instead of randomly guessing which male is the best.

thoughts? ideas?

My grow space is tiny man.  4x8.  It would take me years if I wanted to try a proper breeding technique which would involve a fuck load of seeds, labels, clones, growouts and consumption testing just to find a proven male.  I simply can't do that in a 4x8 haha.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #105 rain dancer, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Theres no real right or wrong answer here. I can only give you my opinion.

Youre right about not knowing what youve got til you grow them out, but if you have say 4 males, you can look at two near maturity and decide how they are different from the other two, in terms of height, vigor, smell, leaf size etc.

In selective breeding they start with say 10 plants. 7/10 are tall, 3/10 are short. Of the three short ones, one smells much more when the stem is pinched thwn the others. One might smell better than all the others without pinching,

Thats the one id take. I always go short, because height is a factor indoors.

Outdoors id tie them down so heights no biggie. It has a lot to do with your grow environment.

I recommend you read some of Mendel's research to see just how he chose genetics.

But youre right, with proper space, plants can be bred to be superior to even genetic modification. You and I have talked about this in terms of that one plant in that one country that resists u.s. spraying, due to farmers selective breeding.

We all need more room :smoke:

Edit: but yes, choosing more than one male increases your chances of having different traits.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hhaha, as goes with most things growing Cannabis. :smoking:

Thanks bro I will do just that to select the 2 best of each strain.

Got any links to Mendel research?  Never heard of him before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. He was the first guy to discover selective breeding a few hundred years ago i believe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ok, both of the sleestack x skunk#1s are male, so tomorrow they go into a trailer closet i have so i can flower them outside the normal room. The mother clones have also been removed from the flower room so i can start the breeding program. I plan to take a female banana kush plant and use some canna fem spray on her to create fem seeds, but the others will be crossed with the sleestack skunks to create regular beans.

The males should open their pollen sacks within the next two weeks. I plan to cut all the branches and sacks off and keep only one male with one set of sacks to keep fresh pollen on hand year around. Ill create as man crosses as i can with this strain, then retire it after im satisfied with my bean collection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Sup bro!

Chef.

10. Hey Chef! Sup brother?

---------

Let's begin, shall we? :)

I was sent a bottle of Canna Fem Spray from my buddy Jack over at the Vault. He asked me what I thought about femenizing beans? I told him not much as I typically prefer regs over fems, but If I get a fem I like, I typically cross her with a male. He asked me, why dont you just feminize her? Good question! My simplest answer is I dont care much for the genetic mutation, the hermie trait, or having  plants that dont tolerate stress, as those of you who know me know, I am a mad scientist LOL

[​IMG]

I received the bottle in a timely manner, then contacted the owner for a phone call, to find out what's in this stuff, how it came about, etc. This is a new business venture created by two friends, one retired, one a lab genius supposedly. The ingredients are not listed on the bottle, so I inquired as to what was in it and was told it is a silver thiosulfate base with an enzyme added. So it is a competitor to gibberellic acid or colloidal silver.

He told me he had great success with a certain strain and that he was interested and excited to hear my results. I told him I had a lot of friends and followers in my journal equally interested and he replied, "would they like a bottle?" and I said yes! :)

[​IMG]

The bottles arrived within a day and I shipped them off to those interested within a week of receiving them. The people who got them, just like the people who get sponsored, or enter the same comps I do, were of course followers of my journal. As I say time and again, I ALWAYS take care of my friends and I feel as though they take care of me as well. Kind of an added benefit if you will, for being loyal and real and following along.

Anyways, I decided I would fem some beans. So I started talking about it in my journal. My buddy Pak came in and said his friend used to breed plants, as did I, but this guy has about 30-40 years more experience than I do. He recommended not self pollinating, as would happen with hermies and increase the likelihood of hermies. Here's a quick recap on hermies

Info on feminized seeds/hermies:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/node/394

^So to get around this little stress problem, and ensure we ended up with no genetic mutations, I decided to cross two females with each other. I chose girl scout cookies and banana kush as my two strains. I'm going to spray both of them and then when male sacks appear im going to separate them, then remove the pollen sack, then take the male pollen from one strain and cross pollinate the other, most likely with qtips.

This will give me femenized gsc x banana kush and femenized banana kush x gsc.

It will also ensure self pollination does not occur.
    [​IMG]
    I AM NOT FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER, in fact, I am kinda doing it my own way. These may impact results a bit but I HIGHLY doubt it. Instead of spraying them before flower like the directions command, I am spraying open pistils, since these ladies only recently matured and are starting flower today. I kind of cheated and let them flower a week though, so  they are a week in, but then they were put back in another room on 12/12 and then moved today, so they're a week, but as the owner of this product stated, he sprayed them in veg, then when pistils appeared he sprayed those flowers until male sacks appeared. I am skipping the prespray and spraying direct flowers, as I believe this will be direct and systemic and more immediate.

The first thing I wanted to accomplish was marking the branch. To do this, I bent a branch between two flower sites on each plant, like this
    [​IMG]

I was curious if bending and reversing hormones would have any impact on the two flowers separated by the bend, so I sprayed the top and bottom flower on each plant and I used a few sprays as directed
    [​IMG]
    I also got it all over my hands :-/, so I washed them well.

I will spray these 3-4 times per day until pollen sacks appear. :)

As for regular breeding? Yes, I will be breeding some regular seeds as well. I was lucky enough that two of my sleestack x skunk#1 beans turned male, so I gave one away to a family member and kept the other for myself. He seems happy in his home
    [​IMG]

Dont mind the water damage in the trailer. Its old from when the previous owner let it leak. Just another repair down the road :)

So Im going to be crossing the sleestack skunk with a few of the strains in my underground jungle and we'll see what we end up!
    ~poke

• Like Like x 4
  11. #116 waktoo, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    poke'-

I remember reading a blurb from Vic High about making fem' seeds in some "grow bible" years ago.

If you want to create fem' seeds using colloidal silver and the like, it's best to run your prospective female though a series of "light stress" exercises by subjecting them to irregular light cycles during flowering. If after several weeks your plant HAS NOT hermied on you, your female is a "true breeding" female, meaning that it carries absolutely zero hermaphroditic genes. These are the types of females that will NEVER produce seeds that might potentially turn into hermaphrodites. 100% guaranteed females every time. Unfortunately, most breeders do not go through this procedure, and turn out "feminized" seeds that have a percentage go hermi'.  :mad: 

If you're interested, I'll see if I can find the book the "light stress" procedure is in.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Interesting.  I was recently listening to the Adam Dunn show. They had a geneticist who is working on the cannabis genome, John DeFriel of Phytotype Agrigenomics, and he stated that ALL female cannabis plants carry the genetic code to make male flowers. 

Great listen if you are interested.  They also alked about comparing all of the OG cuts genetically and see which is true OG and which isn't since there are so many cuts floating around out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfQ2aZmZdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJomPJ8DIM

That sounds like a great plan.  I know a gentleman on the forum here who does that with all of females regardless of feminizing or not.  He abuses the shit out of them in every way possible to find the true vigorous ones.  I haven't seen the guy around for quite a few months. :(

14. Awesome information!

Thank you for sharing :Smoke:

I would appreciate any info you can spare!

15. #120 waktoo, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    From The Cannabis Grow Bible, by Greg Green...

Beginning on page 420 (no shit, lol!)...

"[Vic] has stressed literally hundreds of plants with irregular photoperiods.  What he does is put the light on 12/12 for 10 days.  Then he turns the lights on 24 hours, then 12/12 again for a few days, then back to 24 hours for a day, then 12/12 again for a few weeks.  If he does this and no hermaphrodites come up, he has found a 100% XX female that can't turn hermaphrodite naturally.  He claims that your chances of finding a 100% XX female are vastly increased when using Indica genetics.  He also suggests that the more Afghani or Nepalese genetics the plant has, the better the chances of finding a natural XX female.  In his own words, "Where did nature give weed a home originally?""

Seeds generated in this way (if selfed) will be genetically identical to the mother, in every way, shape, and form.

On a side note, Vic uses gibberellic acid to induce male flowers on female plants.

2/3 pint water (it doesn't specify, but I would assume that distilled would be preferred)
    .007 grams of gibberellic acid
    2 drop natrium  hydroxide (to liquefy the GA)

I think the note on Indica genetics most likely carries a lot of weight.  I've read on several occasions of the natural tendency for land race sativas to herm' if left to grow past their prime...

In the book (first edition printed in 2003), there is no mention of using colloidal silver to induce male flowering on female plants.  May have been before the discovery and practice were instituted...  :confused_2:

• Like Like x 3