Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Personally id cross pure strains before hybrids to get a more stable result. Hydrids are always a gamble, and sometimes lead to recessive genes becoming dominant.

2. Ok maybe I will simply do NL with one of the hybrids.  I mean it's just a pollen chuck not an actually breeding project.  Plus I recently found out in another forum that MikeJ doesn't do 1:1 breeding in where he uses groups of parents with similar characteristics and supposedly this helps prevent recessive genetics. So that makes me feel confident in using his line. I don't know this whole breeding thing is way in over my head.

I just want to chuck for now and pop a few beans and see what happens. :smoking:

How does one chose a decent male without having to sample the progeny of multiple males to really know which is best?

3. If it was me id breed them all simply because i could, but i wouldnt get my hopes up as high for hybrids for reasons I mentioned.

That said, my whole belief system was turned on its head a few years ago,

A guy I was friends with asked me to come over and look at his plants. He had a bunch of good plants and this real scrawny, terrible lookin freaky plant. It looked sickly and like shit. He asked if Id pull it.

Most definitely, but its not botherin anyone, so maybe not, see what comes of it ya know?

He let it grow out and it produced about 2 ounces total, OUTSIDE in the california sun, wheras the others produced pounds , but....... that was the best damn herb I have ever seen or smoked in my life. So good I told him he should hold onto it and never sell, just keep it for personal use.

He gave some to friends and some guy offered him a stupid amount of money for some. I wont say how much, but think next gen system launching prices and you get the idea for like 10 grams lol

It was the runtiest pos I ever saw, but knocked me on my ass like Mike Tyson in his prime.

Moral of the story, dont judge a book by its cover :smoke:

4. Hehe the way you describe it I picture something like Dr. Grinspoon.

5. Tbh, it looked like somethin youd see in the sick plant thread. It was an ugly plant lol

Like the ugly duckling who became a full grown ugly duckling but tasted like swan on the dinner plate lol

6. ive never grown any of those strains choose what you like and update us on how it comes out ;)

7. #48 rain dancer, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Ive grown peakseedsbc and for those who dont know, its partly why durbmon went with them.

But they sent me free seeds for being ill. Those plants were the shortest kushy, most potent herb plants ive ever grown (besides the recent confidential cheese), but they were twenty mixed seeds.

I still have like 16 of them and they WILL also be bred here in this very thread, though I wont know which strains they are until we can guess come flower time. Ill probably use durbmons pics to compare to mine, just to see...

One plant looked just like bluberry though and another NL.

I didnt breed them because I didnt know if theyd grow or not tbh, since they were old stock, "B" grade seeds. I asked what that meant and he said they were used for photos :blink: :confused:

8. I was always under the impression the B grade were the ones that didn't look as pretty.  LEss stripes and patterns.  Look less mature but still viable.  Who knows maybe I'm wrong.

9. The ones that don't looks as pretty I call those fuck it seeds plant and see what happens. Might get the next top shelf bud and cup winner lol

10. Today a bro come over and gave me some Sensi-Star pollen. I am going to get some Blue maggoo clones and juicy fruit  cuttings from him too.
    Going to hand pollinate some lower branches of the flo,blackberry,white rhino,Jack herre,venice beach afgan with it in the morning.

i found out also my clones that are cheese are actually Cheddarhead, from a dispensary in Seattle, same as my Alaskan thunderfuck.

11. @[member="snoopdog6502"]

Hey bro. Ive never soaked seeds in water til now.

Do you soak them in darkness or does it matter? Appreciate your input brother. Ill like your post when my likes return.

Thanks dude :wave:

12. I soak mine in a clear shot glass till they sink, usually 12-24hours then straight Into root riot cubes or into folded tissue between two plates :)

Peace 👽

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-

13. I used to use the paper towel method.  Then I let them go 1 day too long once in attempt to exhibit extreme patience and I broke 2 precious romulan diesel tails.  I now just give em a short soak <12 hours and into my mix they go.

14. My seeds sank within 12 hours, that was about 10 hours ago.

They have oxygen bubbles all over them. Ill check them and take them out immedietly.

15. Anybody create a new strain yet :)?

16. I got some seeds of from grandaddy x unknown strain and king Louis x unknown strain not ready yet but i got some viable ones lol ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410765327.167646.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410765341.618967.jpg

17. Just waitin on seeds to pop through soil. Then as soon as i get a male im crossin a bunch of strains immedietly. :smoke:

They are in little clear tupperware type containers just sitting in my entertainment center. Not in the dark but not in the light.

They dont stay in them but a day, Mine show sprouts in 24 hours most of the time.