Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. you can store pollen in the freezer but store it in a papaer bag with one of the silicon do not eat desicant bags too keep everything dry then in a air tight jar then in the freezer to keep the longer you keep the pollen the less viable it becomes you can also smoke male plants or make a juice and get high tho if you wanna do the juice id follow that dude who got really high of leaves and lil bits of bud in a juice lol

2. I did it. First time taking pollen an rubing it on a few females an i can see a seep forming its been about 2 weeks

Attached Files:

3. Hey so I'm growing some plants from some OG and Purple Diesel I crossed.. Is there a name for this already.??

4. i see og kush x sour d but no purple d. You may do some more searching on Google.

5. I've looked and found nothing, butbi know I can't be the first person to have tried this..

6. You never know. There's thousands of cannabis strains now and thousands of possibilities bro.

I picked up some nanda Devi beans finally. These are outdoor land race hash plants from the Himalayan mountains
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of nanda Devi grown out but not my pics. This plant is a Himalayan land race hash plant! They use it to make charas!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will see this plant grown out in this thread when I acquire more land.

Fearsome 4 is a plant created by an unnamed breeder. I was lucky enough to get male and female beans so I did some IBLs so I can keep this gal around
    [​IMG]

I successfully cloned this particular plant above 5 weeks into flower
    [​IMG]
    But I didn't realize she was pollinated with a seed til I'd successfully cloned her
    [​IMG]

At 6 weeks she has impressed me to no end!
    [​IMG]
    ~ poke

7. Those plants looks beautiful and yeaa I was thinking about cloning from one of these but I've never cloned, this is actually only my 4th grow.. In my first I grew some bag seed OG I got from the collective efforts, and I had Brought the sour D seed the second time around and pollinated the sour with the OG, unfortunately most of the seeds were duds or female but I ended up getting one Hermaphrodite and those seeds are currently what I'm growing..
    Those plants looks beautiful and yeaa I was thinking about cloning from one of these but I've never cloned, this is actually only my 4th grow.. In my first I grew some bag seed OG I got from the collective efforts, and I had Brought the sour D seed the second time around and pollinated the sour with the OG, unfortunately most of the seeds were duds or female but I ended up getting one Hermaphrodite and those seeds are currently what I'm growing..

8. I'm curious why you're growing a hermie over a female?

A hermie will produce male and female sex parts and pollinate itself, producing little to no bud. Instead it will produce hermie seeds. It's natures way of ensuring genetic viability, but from a breeders point of view it's considered a retarded trait and unwanted.

9. Ive herd the first haze was a hermie strain

10. I didn't know it was unwanted, it was the only other set of seeds that we were able to get from the mixed strain. We grew all of them and the females came put fine but there were no males for seeds just the one hermi.. We didnt want it for he buds though, just the seeds really..

11. #513 rain dancer, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    I guess I should clarify a bit.

Most landrace sativas are hermies naturally in the wild. Last year I grabbed some South African kwazulu, the same sativa the Zulu warriors used before battle. I grew it out and it was female. At the flip to 12/12 she showed pollen sacks.

I culled her immediately. If I wouldn't have her male pollen sacks would have pollinated the females in my garden. This would have passed the hermie trait on to plants who have it switched off, as the trait is in all cannabis plants.

Because she showed pollen sacks this tells me she was a hermie from birth, ie, has both flowers and and was not a stress related issue.

Hermie traits can be bred out. One simply needs to genetically suppress the hermie trait. We can do this by growing out 100 seeds.

Of those 100 say 10 are males and 90 are females. When we flip to flower say 78 of the 90 females are hermies. This leaves us with 12 true females and ten true males.

Now we take a clone of all 22 plants.

Next we label each clone so we do not mix them up.

Now we flower out the mothers and fathers and record how each behaves and each of their traits. You will know by harvest day which are keepers and which are genetically inferior. This allows us to go back and pick about 2 males and two females of the 100 we originally chose. These 4 plants have suppressed the hermie trait.

To suppress it further we take these four plants and we breed two females with two males.

The seeds that come from these will now have suppressed hermie genes. To further increase a parents genes in an existing plant we back cross the parents offspring with the parent, which is known as back crossing and is written as bx1 for a 1 time back cross, or bx2 for a two times back cross. Each back cross with the mother will further suppress the father genes while expressing the mothers genes and vice versa, back cross with the father to suppress the mothers genes while increasing the fathers genes.

I am positive many of the haze plants are STILL hermies and there is nothing wrong with a hermie, if seeds are your end goal. But it's a frowned upon trait for seed collectors and breeders.

World of seeds is a company that saves genetics by preserving them. Most people have heard of strain hunters.

Strain hunters are a commercial enterprise who are out to make money. They don't preserve genetics, they hybridize them, undoing millions of years of evolution with their breeding programs.

World of seeds preserves genetics as they find them, keeping lineage pure. Which is why hermies are part of their sativas, as hermies are natures way of ensuring genetic viability and perfectly fine,

But understand this fact. Landrace beans and plants are not anything like growing hybridized plants most people are used to.

They are not stabilized, prone to stress, prone to hermie and mold and pests and disease.

They are the same as if we found a human population untouched by the world right now. They'd have no defense against what evolution has given to us. Many don't even have properly developed terpenes or lack bud production or resin production,

So hermies are not bad. Hermies were the first plants I ever grew, or cloned, Mexican brick weed it was over a decade ago. It was a beautiful Mexican indica Dominant monster. But she produced colas under CFls the size of a half gallon of milk or two liter soda bottle.

But what I thought was buds turned out to be a few hundred thousand seeds, clusters of them. Heartbreaking to say the least. I disposed of those genetics immedietly.

If you have a year or two to dedicate to breeding the trait out, it's possible, but it's a labor of love and many do not have the patience to care for their child as they genetically alter it to become something stable that is able to be brought to market.

I hope this brings clarity.

I will keep this thread updated more often with my experiments and success.

I recently cloned a cannabis leaf. I didn't have a stem, just a leaf.

So I'll share that here.

Fwiw I invented my own cloning method. It's called the two cup dome and many emulate it all over and that's fine with me, it works for any plant, even plants people claim are impossible to clone. To prove this I decided to clone a leaf after being challenged.
    Here's a post I copied from elsewhere....

You ever see anybody root a cannabis leaf without a stem? Thought you'd get a kick outta that :)

Someone said to me it couldn't be done :smoke: sounded like a challenge :devious:

ROOTING A LEAF WITHOUT A STEM
    This plant is 3+ months old....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NO STEM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what happens is without a stem it just slowly dies, even with roots. I proved it can be done. That's good enough for me [​IMG]

RIP Purple Kush Leaf :wave:

~ poke

P.s. One last point 100% of the plants on this earth were BAGSEED at one point before people starting breeding them into stabilized lines with years of sacrifice talent and skill, so don't frown upon BAGSEED. Bagseed is a beautiful unknown plant waiting to become something better than it is.

You could give me a BAGSEED right now and I'd do a back flip from joy and I've got over a hundred strains of some of the most elite cuts in the world, but I'm not a snob, as a tenth generation farmer, I feel the soil pumping through my veins :)

I'd grow anything that was green :)

12. Last 2 times I looked they didn't have one preserved genetic available. Only shit hybrids.

Ps, I edited that post above and added a few new paragraphs of well researched info.

13. I see, and I will be taking this process.. But I grew the hermi out in my garage alone.. I have about 40plus seeds left minus the 6 in growing..

14. i realized i never tackled your cloning question. Ive got two videos I made that should help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eWFEZN_mEg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhowO0F6rM

15. Nanda Devi is from the Real Seed Company, and inbred by them. Breeding is not simply making a cross it is a lot of work. And many Generations of selections and backcrossing, and the crossed again with another IBL to restore vigour.

16. hey brother poke, stoppin in to say watttzzzz uppppp

17. will be starting my f1s asap. It's great to be free again.