Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Hey bro, I appreciate that man. Ill never forget where I came from no matter where I end up and Ill always keep the door open for the next guy, know what Im sayin?

XD hahaha, no shittin man. Not an understatement at all :smoke:

2. nice load .....lol

3. Has anyone come across any good books/articles related to cannabis breeding. I'd love to find something that gets more into the science of genetics behind it.

4. I have a plant thats been in the solo challenge... purple power.. just started shooting balls.. how can I take this plant out of my flower box and keep it going to collect the pollen? I have a small box with 2 cfls... would that work to keep the plant alive?

5. Excited for my sour og x unknown male. Gifted her yesterday. Mother was raskal og x sour d . Gardeners have been breeding for a while producing their own. Have proven to be doing good work with their selections. Plants are always top notch.

6. Quick question about seeds... I harvested some intentional seeds last night. What do I have to do before planting them? Can I just plant them now like any other seed?

7. #489 stankycloset, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
    I paid for it. Its in a grow guide. Ryan Rylies. Hang around here and other breeders threads. And google what you can. Thats my advice

8. Thanks stanky. I'm going to be hitting up the library this weekend to look for some books on genetics and breading. I've already read the few books they have on marijuana growing. But they don't have anything specific to breading. So fingers crossed they have some good books on the topic.

I'll let everyone know if I find anything interesting in case others are looking for something similar.

9. Pollenated a couple branches looks good so far.

10. Poke. Im still a newbe but i got a few dif males an a lot of females. My question is. When do i harvest a male bfor the naners come out. An one more can i put one male pollen on a branch an a dif male pollen on the branch next to it just marke them diffrent ?

11. What I'm doing with my females. Pollinating individual branches of females with 2 sour og males. Looks like its working. I isolated my males after sexing waited until they change colors swell and hang. Then I broke down the male agitating pollen sacks to open over glass and pollinated with a q tip. First time really attempting something legit.

12. UPDATE:
    Apparently I waited too long with some of the male specimens. Molokai kush was pretty much dead and I wasn't able to collect any pollen :(

Bubba kush/mastadon from OGS produced the most pollen, so I set that aside.

Fearsome 4 and kiwi gangster produced barely any pollen and were on their way to dying. It's because I didn't know where to put the males so stuck them in a very hot room with no ventilation and very little light.

I first crossed the OGS beans. Next I did a one on one f2 for kiwi gangster and fearsome 4, keeping the lineage pure. I used most of their pollen for those plants.

I used what was left of fearsome 4 to pollinate the majority of the group. The female fearsome 4 plant is a very beautiful plant, one of the best I've ever seen. I couldn't stop cooing over it like you do over a new born baby lol. Whether the beans take I cannot be certain with fearsome 4 as I had so little pollen available. But I saved the OGS Bk/mastadon just in case, as well as a lot of the pollen sacks from all the plants except Molokai kush, who's pollen sacks had solidified like a rock.

Here is what we ended up with:

Turban haze x bk/mastodon
    Limey haze x Bk/mastodon
    Limey haze x fearsome 4
    Chocoloco x fearsome 4
    Fearsome 4 x fearsome 4
    Turban haze x fearsome 4
    Kiwi gangster x kiwi gangster
    Donkey kong x bk/mastadon

For those curious fearsome 4 is simply kiwi gangster mother x White Russian father. And kiwi gangster is L.A. Confidential mother x Mt. Cook father. Turban haze is master kush mother x silver haze father and Limey haze is blue cheese mother x silver haze father.

The goal was to cross the sativa dominant plants with indica dominant kush. This ensures a nice buzzy high somewhere in the middle. A true hybrid.

Everything I ended up crossing with fearsome 4 and bk/mastadon besides fearsome 4 f2 and bk/mastadon x donkey kong should have been crossed with Molokai kush. However since Molokai kush was unavailable I made due with what I had. I hope to get some very nice specimens to play with and stableize over the next few years.

The mothers now sit in front of a fan for an hour, the fathers will be chopped and fed to the red worm bin. Soil will be recycled by adding to the soil cook bin. The pollen, which was collected into plastic containers will be placed into a glass mason jar and air sealed, then placed into the fridge until needed. Most pollen lasts 30 days. I've frozen it before for years and had success, though minimal. Female branches were dipped into pollen as well as pollen applied to qtips to touch pistil sites. Females were added to the pollinating area one at a time, pollinated, then quickly moved into another area with wind. This is how I always pollinate, as seen in my pollinating video.

If for whatever reason the fearsome 4 pollen doesn't take, I will add the OGS pollen to the plants crossed with fearsome 4 to ensure seeds are produced later.

This concludes the plant breeding session.
    ~ poke

13. Hey guys, I've been really wanting to try breeding ever since I started growing.  I finally have a pretty settled down living situation and good grow spaces that are dialed in, so I started ordering reg seeds to get my experimentation underway.  The stuff I have coming up now was started in early March and will be the first breeding I've ever done.  [​IMG]
    I've got a couple of projects planned for the first run.  Both will be off of this male, which is Medusa from Nirvana.  I never thought I'd be happy to see a male, but I love this male.  Rapid growth, compact/bushy structure, intense smell from like week 3 veg, all traits I'm hoping to see in his progeny. 

[​IMG]     [​IMG]

He will be crossed with a sibling Medusa female that shows the same preferred growth traits and sexed earlier than the other likely female I have.  She is scheduled to go to the flower room any day now, just need to make space.  I want to see if I can stabilize a phenotype I like.  

[​IMG]

He will also be crossed with the Skunk Haze I currently have flowering, about 2 weeks since she first showed pistils so it should be in time.  That cross is purely experimental.  Mostly because the mother there has had a rough life and I'm not sure what she would have been like if I'd treated her better.  But, on the up side, she's been stress tested and hasn't hermed.  So that's a plus I guess...preferable trait in a new strain and whatnot.  

[​IMG]

14. I sincerely apologize for missing your message and keeping you waiting.

If you are afraid of a male pollinating the females chop the nicest branch with the most pollen off. Set this branch in a glass of water by a window or under a light in a different room.

Place aluminum foil under the the cup of water. In a few days the sacks will open up and the pollen will fall onto the aluminum foil where it will be captured. Move the cup off of the foil when most of the sacks open. Carefully remove the branch from the water, careful not to spill any water on the pollen. Gently tap the male branch against the aluminum foil and it will collect very nicely. Scoop it up into a glass jar that is air tight, or into a plastic container which can be placed into a jar that is air tight and store in the fridge for 30 days.

As for your second question, you most certainly can. Be careful not to cross pollinate. Mark one branch, place your pollen onto a qtip and lightly touch the branch. Do the other male on a branch opposite the first branch to ensure cross pollination does not occur.
    ~ poke

15. Id tie ribbons on the branch so you can tell which malenyou pollenated the branch with :)

16. #498 raygoulet, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  17. I'm not sure why you have "clones" in quotes when you are referring to taking your clones, but yeah it is possible. Not really advised though. Autoflowers start flowering whenever they are ready to, regardless of light cycle. So if you take a cutting to make a clone, it can make roots but will still flower very soon.

It would be best to either choose one plant that you would turn completely, or you can spray just one branch of a plant or two. You csn then collect the pollen from those branches and pollinate whatever you'd like.

If you do take pollen from a turned auto plant and cross it with another autoplant. You will get feminized autoseeds. So feel free to experiment a little 😆

18. If you spray an auto with cs spray it will male female pollen no male pollen at all and if you pollenate another auto you will have feminised female seeds yeah