Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. I really enjoyed that strain.

2. Hey poke,
    Just curious, when do you consider a strain to be stabilized. I've seen some people say an f3, some say years, and I've seen others still on like their 10th- 11th generation.

Do you have any requirements for when you decide a strain is stable?

3. dude hows that mini vape mate

4. Id say about 5 stable grows without much varieation in phenos.

By that i mean you pick a strain and grow twentyish beans.

Of those you pick the males and set them aside and watch the males and females mature.

You pick the best of each sex, with the best traits and you breed them. Keep the mother and father alive.

Collect the beans, grow another twenty out, collect the best males and females similiar to the parents. Decide which traits you like most or which need to be improved.

Crossroads. To backcross or not to backcross, that is the question. Either parent can be chosen to breed in or out dominant characteristics.

This can take years to achieve.

Once satsified with your results, grow out your beans. Among twenty there should be little if any varietaion in a stable line.

Phenos should be limited to three, but two is even better. If among 20 beans you have identical traits amongst 17/20 its stable. Genetic varieationis minimal and you should have a stable line. Now grow this another 3-5x and if the numbers stay legit, its stable.

Its always better to grow many plants at once and choose the best. the rest get killed and feed the worm bin. Nothing is ever wasted.

The process above can take a lifetime or a couple years. Many spend their whole lives perfecting this art.
    HTH
    ~ poke

5. As an example. I recently grew out barneys farm pineapple chunk.

I had 5 phenos from 5 beans. Looked like 5 different strains.

Its not stable in the least, but the smoke is some of the best ive ever had. I kept a clone, no idea which parent. I usually label each of the same strains with a number so at harvest i know which clone belongs to which mother, but i didnt do this.

I think they made an exception with this strain in terms of stability. Still, it could use some work.
    ~ poke

6. The little vape from minivapes is working out great. It's one that has a ceramic bowl area and there is no combustion of the actual herb. It's got a decent size bowl. It's sturdy portable and seems good quality. I don't think you could beat it as a small portable vape for a decent price.

My wife is using lately. She's pretty sensitive to smoke. She hadn't smoked anything very long and still has those beginner lungs. Haha. But she really enjoys this one. It's smooth and she can just hit it and go. It heats up fast and is smooth.

7. Couldn't have asked for more clear and thorough information. I will be expanding my grow area and equipment here soon and plan on doing much more with my grows. Breeding is certainly one of those things that is very interesting to me. I can't wait to come up with that perfect strain for me and the Mrs.

8. #448 rain dancer, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Within the next two years i will open my own seedbank. My breeding methods are getting good enough that im starting to feel confident.

Ive also got over 100 strains i can play with and create new crosses that dont exist elsewhere. Im preserving landrace and mutant genes as well, (variegation, ducks foot, etc).

Id like to recommend two strains to you if i may. Pineapple chunk by barneys farm and femenised seed companies iced grapefruit.

The latter is the first strain to fully relieve my pain ever, while also stabilizing the mind. I cant stress enough this is the strain i value now above almost all others.

Pineapple chunk is the most potent pain reliever ive ever smoked. But itll put you to sleep if youre not experienced.

I fully believe you and your wife will benefit from femenized seeds iced grapefruit.

Its carried by the vault seedbank
    ~ poke

10. I can't wait too see your seed bank take off. I know I'll definitely be a supporter :D

My wife and I are really looking into a few different things to get us into the cannabis industry as well. Just in the pre - planning stages right now but we're starting to flesh it out and drafting up business plan right now.

Recommendations are alwayd welcomed :D the next time I grab a few seeds those will both be on the list.

How do you think a cross of the two would come out?

11. #452 rain dancer, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    You know im not sure but i intend to find out if i can :)

Maybe a femenized hybrid :)

Thats awesome about the business, i wish you the very best of luck. :) we too are considering starting a business as well. A few of them in fact. I guess we will see what happens! :)

12. I think I'm going to give it a shot here soon. They do both sound pretty delicious! How could mixing two great things be bad? Haha.

If I get to the mix before you do, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thank you, and the same to you both as well. I figure gardening and pot are two things I've alwayd enjoyed. Why not spend the time, do the research, do the planning and work at building something for me.

13. I tortured this poor girl going into flower and during the first week or so of flower on no herm. And buds started forming two days ago and the frost is already coming in nice. Im thinking im gonna make some fem pollen on a bud site and next run crossing that with cotton candy kush auto. This lady is ak47 by the way. so id have auto fem ak47 x cotton candy kush seeds
    Also. Subbed

Attached Files:

14. #457 Buffalo11024, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
    As these girls flower I think I was mistaken in my earlier id for banana kush x afghani/harlequin. First thought is turning out more compact and sour to the smell. Not what I had hoped for, but it still turned into a nice little plant. WP_20150323_21_42_57_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_21_43_14_Pro.jpg however I still believe she is in my garden.

The newly assumed bk x a/h: WP_20150323_21_41_20_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_21_41_12_Pro.jpg The smell is strikingly similar to mother bk. Structure similarities to bk; as well as heavy trich production. If this be her after the first taste test it took heavy to bk with a few characteristics from the donor that threw me off. I like it so far. Hoping for more density/mass in the end.

Man, now that's a seed company i'd support wholeheartedly!  I need to get caught up in here to see what you are working with?  Any Idea which strain you will introduce first?  Actually this makes me wonder if you already have some semi-stabilized strains.  Do you?  Also, what will you be concentrating on in terms of an end goal.  will you concentrate on , Sativas, Indicas, or hybrids?  What's your breeding philosophy?( i'm fairly sure I could answer this one just knowing the type of stand-up guy you are)

When you make this Idea a reality, I'd be more that happy to perform some test grows for you.  I think my detailed updates speak for themselves.  Any ways I can help, i'm down.  I'll support you in any way I can!  You've always been so self-less in your actions and you've really helped me become a better gardener.  I would have gotten there anyways, but you helped me get there without the bullshit.=)  

Anyways, I'm starting a breeding project of my own here.  Staring right now.  This 20YKS will be my starting point.  Of the 8 viable seeds I made last summer, 7 made it to week 8, and there are 2 females and 5 males.  Crazy high number of males, but that's alright.  One of the two of the males have just started to show sex.  two weeks behind the rest.  I've read that males that show their sex late rather than early are prefered.  I'm gonna choose the best smelling male and cross it up with the Hash Plant, And the Haze Extreme.  The Vixen and HashPlant are feminized so I don't think I'll go to far with these but I just need to start breeding.  The results of my first few breeding projects are not as important as learning what to look for and figuring out all the little things I need to know in order to create something special!  One thing I know is that I'll be concentrating on terpenes.  

Well, take care poke!

BTW- check out my weekly update

Plaid

Why are you saving the variegated? Just curious really since I have a couple phenos with variegation but never really thought about isolating the trait since it's based on the lack of chlorophyll as a mutation.