Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Theres a member here who grew 9 pound hammer. Some of the most amazing bud ive ever seen. Beautiful colas.

The guy who laughed was probably an amateur.

2. got sorcerer's apprentice
    Lotus larry, jabba stash, Super snow lotus,satsuma and a few others on the way.

3. no he wasn't , he was atleast mediocre , alot of people follow him on youtube. Lil fuss depends on someone's tastes. Also he said it's now where near carrying the wieght they said

4. Got a gorilla glue 4 cut finally think im gonna cross it with a durango og male or maybe gdp..mmmm

5. #405 rain dancer, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. nice , I haven't been lucky enough to find guerilla glue haha

7. bet the guy in the vid had the og/jack the ripper phenos rather than the heavier gooberry pheno.

8. why not pollenate the plant with both?

9. KCKush Second Breeding round. This time 5 weeks of Veg. Was monster cropped cut down like at 7 weeks of flowering. I do have another one that will Veg longer. Lets see what this baby makes.

[​IMG]

10. Just curious, how many of you guys are making feminized seeds along side of your breeding projects. I know there are many people out there who refuse to feminized seeds for breeding stock, but that doesn't mean they don't still have their place.

If you are what are you using to create them? Do you buy cs? Do you use a homemade product? Making sts?

11. poke just reversed some cookies that were paired to banana kush. im all kinds of excited to see the "banana shortbread cookies" as ive been referring to them in my head. im sure he may have some input soon.

12. #414 Buffalo11024, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    found 3 males today and cut them. 2 of them, the more vigorous growing both took to clone. one was more floral the other fuel. both taller plants i have clones of i may work with. i feel smaller males would be more manageable for an isolation chamber or two in my tent. ill watch the remaining six girls flow with plenty of room, maybe dust a select few of these clones to test everything.

Attached Files:

13. There are many options available. Our experiments were with canna fem spray and they were a success.

I havent done the cross yet. Banana kush was too stable to femenize and GSC just took, so im waiting for mature pollen. Problem is i thought the experiment failed so crossed my females with sleestack.

The pollen from sleestack was so old at that point im not sure if it took. Under a 13w cfl experiments suffer a bit.

I may just collect pollen GSC and do a fem on another plant and see what happens now.

But cs seems to be the femenizing option of choice for most.

14. #416 Distrex, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    I think your right. Cs seems to be what most people are doing. I'm guessing mostly due to the ease of making it. Shoot, most people have an old cell phone charge and some silver laying around the house.

My first attempt with making feminized seeds will most likely be with cs. Although, sts definitely sounds like something worth looking into down the road.

How old was the pollen from the sleestack? How do you usually store your pollen when you want to put it up for long term storage? Have you ever tried shipping pollen?

15. #417 rain dancer, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    No i typically dont store pollen anymore. I make seeds and store them. But pollen can be stored the same as seeds, in a vial, a plastic bag, whatever you prefer. Then for long term placed in a jar thats air tight, inside a sack of rice, in the freezer. Ive had some pollem last a few years this way.

The sleestack had already pollenated all my flowers in my flower room. I waited another few months, keeping him barely alive and then when i saw no results from the canna fem, due to many factors, i made a last ditch effort to pollinate with a dying sleestuck male plant, an underwayered, under fed, under lit plant. I checked him afew days ago and he's barely alive, most leaves are gone, and many sacks have popped up everywhere in a last ditch effort.

Im hoping for him to hermie a female flower and self pollinate. :)

After i stopped canna fem, many weeks later, the weather warmed and sacks appeared, after id pollinated already with sleestack pollen.

So i may just save some of the gsc fem pollen and cross with a strain in my current run, maybe just clone one :)

16. Is it just that you find it easier to do all of your pollinating when the males are ready or is it due to the fact that storing seeds has has a much larger shelf life?

Wow. I didn't realize that you could keep a male alive for months after he has started pollinating. Nor did I realize that a male would naturally hermie and start growing female flowers. I've read a couple things about people using a chemical (something kinda like cs, but different) to turn them like females. But I didn't think they would do it naturally.

17. ive got a line on it in my near future im excited for the possible out come!

18. I just dont care for keeping pollen around i guess. I like that seeds can be stored indefinitely.

I believe that nature finds a way to ensure offspring produce.

It would make sense in my mind that a plant such as cannabis can hermie either way.

To keep a male pollinating indefinitely, you simply remove all the branches with sacks except one and that one will continuously pollinate indefinitely.

the male i have is about 5-6 months old now and still doin his thing :)