Plant Sex, The Art Of Creating New Strains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. #1 rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    The goal of this thread is to provide info, pics, help, and guidance to anything plant breeding related. My hope is that we'll bring some unique strains that we made, or someone we know made, from the darkness and into the light.

I dont know about you, but my first seeds ever were by sheer accident. I did not intend them, but they opened my eyes (well before I considered the internet as a resource) to the endless possibilities of having amazing plants for free!

I started with bagseed.

I hope that those who post will take pics of their seeds, their plants in either veg/flower or both (both is better for obvious reasons). Here you can give full reviews on your strain, tell the story of how it came to be, and maybe help others create something similar. We can share the best places for plant genetics, the pros and cons of mixing certain strains, and maybe even get some of our stuff lab tested. I personally have many strains, between 20-40, some i made, some i did not, but in the end, all will be crossed in my "lab" lol and they will all end up as my new strains, one way or another.

I recently spent time coercing through email with a landrace breeder with 40+ years breeding experience and I plan to score some of those f8 seeds in the next few months and add them to my seedstock.

Feel free to ask questions, post your ladies, or whatever. I hope this thread becomes a bible of breeding, so to speak.

Let's get to it!

How to pollinate cannabis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUOVYrDP2zM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. Oh Im in this thread to stay, this year I have 4 seed crops all that have white Rhino fathers.

The super skunk auto gave me about 50+ seeds.

The pool white rhinos have some seeds and mostly lower small bud were hit.

I grew a row of 80 white rhino and its loaded with seed, ridiculous but had seeds over a year old and still have about a thousand of those old ones.

My pool #2 has 10 Dark Devils and they were also pollinated with the white rhinos.

View attachment 1533905
    View attachment 1530224

Mixed with males from this group.
    View attachment 1518189
    View attachment 1518188

I clipped 1 out of the ten dark devils and have 3 seeds of the cross so far, going to let them ripen.

It should turn out to be an interesting cross.

The bottom line is I have a lot of seeds and will not need to buy as many.

3. Are there any characteristics youre breeding into or out of the plants? They look gorgeous btw!

Any strains youre looking forward to mixing? That dark devil/white rhino looks like an interesting mix! Lookin forward to seeing the seeds grow out on those bad boys!

Im hoping to get purple buds from the Dark Devils and the larger plant with fat buds from the rhinos.

I have some clones that can become breeding stock or even try to do some feminizing of seeds. Alaskan thunderfuck and cheese.
    keeping a mother of each.

5. Im following this thread, lots well be to learn from here. I have never tried to create seeds, but this will most likely change in the coming summer.

6. Awesome, glad to have you here @[member="normac"] :)

This is gonna be a great thread!

7. Wife found my bubba kush pollen today, tucked away in the freezer. Its close to 5 years old.

If all else fails eh?

I used it a few years back and got some viable seeds.

That would be awesome, give it as try on some lower popcorn buds.

My Dark devil X white rhino seeds have sprouted and 6 were planted in peat pots today, I get to see what I have created. :)

I harvest the rest of that seed crop next weekend. I have one more seed crop after that of just rhinos that are looking good.

9. Im considering doing an all seed crop this go around. Im just waiting for a male to pop so i can see how he looks before crossing all of them. (been tossing tons of seeds in napkins lol) Get my seedstock up and grow a bunch of unique strains next go around.

Ill be adding tons of seeds to my stock from breeding as well as a few online shops over the next couple months. Gonna be exciting.

Growin your own strains is just pure awesomeness brother.

Got a seed goin now thats my strain over in my journal.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

It's a cross between white widow and berry. Cant remember if ive grown it out before or not. My memory is gettin bad for some reason :p

CRS (cant remember shit) hehe

10. Sweet @[member="pokesmot247"]!  Your info is always informative and interesting.  subbed up for sure!  

This is a topic that I am very interested in.  I have some pollen that I harvested from a strain that I was given by an experienced organic grower near me.  I got 8 seeds from him.  They are the strain that, in my journal, I refered to as a 20 year kootenay strain.  I greminated 4 of them in late june when i got them hoping for at least one male, and one female(hopefully decent).  I was lucky as I got a great female pheno and a male as well.  I planted them in the same pot as I was going to take them to a creek a ways away and set up a drip for them so i didnt have to visit all summer and risk getting pollen on my clothes or in my hair.  

What I ended up doing was I just kept them on the sundeck and cut off all but 2 of the pollen sacs on the entire male plant.  I dont mean 2 bunches of sacs, I mean Only 2 individual sacs.  I cut off the corner of an envelope(about an inch), and rigged it to sit directly under the pollen sac.  The sac was hanging into the envelope corner.  I watched the plant very closley and was able to tell pretty much the day the sac would open, then i would check almost hourly.  When the sac had opened, i cut off the sac, letting it drop into the envelope, and then laid the open sac and the loose pollen out in a dark, dry place.  I did this twice and cut the male down.  

Now I was ready to pollinate the female, now all by itself in the pot, and quite happy about it too.  I Brought the female inside my shop area away and inside from any wind.  I dipped the end of a pin into the pollen and transfered it onto the individual buds.  I pollinated the main cola and, I think, 4 other buds.  

Its is doing great now!  You can easily see the seed pouches on the buds that I pollinated, and not on the ones that I didnt.  I am not sure on your policy on placing Pics on your thread but if youre cool with me posting a pic of the little beauty, let me know=)

PlaidBee's Indoor/OrganicThread

Very Rarely does something work out exactly as you planned In growing or in life.  This project was one of my greatest achievements this summer!

11. This is not my thread!

It belongs to all of you, i am but a humble gardener! Please, feel free to do as you please my friend. Your posts are just as exciting and informative! I loved your last post! :D

The goal of this thread is for us to learn from each other! I just learned some stuff from you as well!

12. #13 rain dancer, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Most definitely you can!

IBLs (in bred line) becomes F1s and f1s bred together become f2s

And grow those out and breed them and get f3s and on and on :)

Grow out enough each time so that you pick the traits you like from mother and father. Thats called "selective breeding" and its how cannibus cups are won!

Here's a link with more details:
    http://www.maryjanesgarden.com/growing/f1-f2-ibl

• Like Like x 1
  13. thats so dope dude! Thanks for the words of wisdom!!! When is it to late to pollinate? I was going to maybe dust a little bud on my bagseed plant thats amazing (cloned her and wow!)

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1328021-vaskunks-canna-ventures.html

"No intensity, No density"

14. #16 rain dancer, Sep 5, 2014
    To pollinate, you must wait at least two to four weeks into flower, or until you see healthy white pistils. When the pistils red or brown, its too late.

The seeds mature at different times. (usually 3-6 weeks) You have to keep an eye on them and youll know when theyre ready, some will begin to push themselves out of simply fall off the plant.

----------------

Here's some good breeding info I found called "back crossing" where you use a plant's sibling males to pollinate the mother, which brings out more of the mothers traits.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/strain-breeding

15. #17 rain dancer, Sep 5, 2014
    Mandala Germination Guide makes a lot of good points

May even help explain a recent seed I had that failed after transplant :smoke:

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

I still like to use paper towels, but thats because Im often growing older seed stock, whereas the embryo retains less water and needs more water to penetrate the seed. Mandala recommends planting directly into soil for fresh seeds.

And Im pretty sure snoopdog does as well! ;)

Edit: lots of good info on the different ways to germinate here, as well as how long seeds last, etc:
    http://buymarijuanaseeds.com/community/threads/how-long-to-wait-on-homemade-seeds.149903/

16. We'll I crossed:
    Grandaddy purple x Bag Seed
    King Louis X3 x Bag Seed
    Bag Seed x Bag Seed

Bag seed has a strong pine smell. Looks like a Sativa dominant but then again 50/50 started out with huge indica leaves just an experiment let's see what we get. You can see how it looks flowering and before ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409909167.882452.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409909233.320158.jpg

17. Hey fellas glad I found this threas. I as you want to creat my own strains but just trying to get a understanding on the process. This is what im working with atm. Two female Purple Drank which is GSC urkelpheno x wcd 710 Form Riot seeds, I also had two males but very different in looks one was tall like maybe 2 1/2 3ft tall thick stalk looking like a lil beast, the other was about 1 1/2 2ft tall more bushy and uniform. I took pollen from the shorter bushy plant because he was short and uniform. Those male where stanky as hell had me thinking they where going to be females but oh well. I will be making f2 seeds with him. I have a yoda tahoe og kush from Barefoot it turned male and I collected its pollen. I will only pollinate one bud on my pd with the yoda Tahoe. I also have a Northern Lights #9 female from sagarmatha this nl9 is rare so I have been told by a couple breeder friends. I have 6 more of those beans so dont worry guys I still have the original Genetics on hand. I plan on crossing the Nl9 to the Yoda Tahoe og kush. Really excited about that one two totally different backgrounds. I dont know what ill call it.

18. Just to share some pics of the unknown strain :) strong Pine.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409968827.477245.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409968876.881321.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409968901.347929.jpg