Soreness Recovery

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Gregsta, Aug 30, 2014.

1. #41 ruuush2112, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    I've never used any sort of pre-workout drink, but I would always drink a protein shake within an hour after the end of my workout. I felt much more sore the next day if I didn't drink one. It's also really important to warm your muscles up before jumping into lifting. Use very light weight and just get blood flowing and get your muscles moving. I remember hearing that doing physical acitvity without a workout is like putting and elastic band in the freezer and then trying to stretvh it while it's frozen.

2. this
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Undenatured (cold processed) whey is the way to go.

Silk amino acids are being founds to help with recovery and testosterone.

I would say it means you are not working hard enough, which in effect will not cause growth as one would imagine. Same philosophy I guess. I still get sore after 4+ years of lifting and it seems to disappear when I start lifting the next day. One day off a week helps.

5. Eat, sleep, eat some more. 

Nutrition is VITAL for recovery, so is rest.

Don't forget to eat your carbs, you might ask why. You can eat all the protein you want, if you aren't consuming enough carbs your body will start stealing from your bodies supply of protein for energy thus leaving your muscles hungry.

6. #46 well highdrated, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015

what do you expect after first time in a while? muscle cramps are completely normal.
    you lifted too heavy and too much.
    when you get back after a break start slow and let your muscles adjust for a week or two.

but since you've already done it:
    - drink lots more water to aid with muscle recovery
    - supplement with creatine. 
    - find a good formulation of curcumin like bcm-95
    - krill oil supps.
    (finally if you must take a couple of ibuprofens to lessen the inflammation).

you can also try an ice bath if you are up for it. but i would only recommend that right after practice. 
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/Ice-Bath.htm

7. #47 well highdrated, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    btw, very few people would need around 2g of protein per lb of body weight.

i would say this is an exception for serious/pro/semi-pro athletes and really those who know exactly what they are doing.

most people even those that lift are fine with 0.75 - 1 g of protein per lb.
    there's nothing wrong with eating more protein .. but to do overdo it on meats and isolate shakes just to get extra protein is unnecessary. 

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html

8. If you want to speed on recovery, you can:

do active recovery to pump blood through the area. Think bodyweight pushups and squats / light cardio, not something like weighted bench press. I workout 5-6 days a week but each morning I do a lot of bodyweight exercises. It loosens me up otherwise I'd be stiff and sore all day. Gotta get the lactic acid broken down and pushed out.

hot/cold therapy. This also pushes blood around real good. Hot cold shower, ice bath, hot tub in the winter, etc. Cold sends blood in to protect the organs. The hot draws it back out to surface. Kickstarts circulatory system and cold therapy especially eases soreness and inflammation.

Thanks buddy. I been slowly making progress, cause of work I have like 2 days a week to really go hard in there, but been mostly doing my usual routine (compound exercises) and at least once a week at my friends gym just cause of convenience it has only machines though but does have cable pulleys which rocks, and pull up/dip bar too.

Let me ask ya... I drink just your typical fish oil you buy in the store, 2 caps a day. Why should I transfer over to krill oil ? I know they're kinda pricier too, but I know it's better I remember reading some comparisons, shall I start buying Krill over reg Fish oil?

And lastly, I will be drinking Creatine, I like to load phase week, maintain 3 wks. Take 2 weeks off and again. Whenever I hit plateus in the past Creatine totally helped I got hella swoll! I'm trying to reach my 185 weight and 10% bf or around there. I'm like 178 right now.

Ok I'm high and rambling lol thank you man and update me with some more info when you can up there ^

:)

whenever you need science-backed, unbiased advice on supplements check out examine.com

http://examine.com/supplements/Krill+Oil/
    (more bio-availability than fish oil, although more expensive it's like upgraded fish oil... )

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
    (this is probably the best studied supplement and it works. for everything. :) .. you don't really need a loading phase... just get your 3-5 gs per day)

11. Only thing about creation is that u gotta keep working out with that or u will look fat or feel fat. That stuff purposely makes u big but u gotta run with it. Even if u dont take it for a month but been taking it for a while it sits in ya liver for a minute. So if u stopped working out while taking g it u will look like u stopped BT if u start working out again u should progress fairly quick again.

12. #52 runner_bish, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    I also jog a mile or do stairs for a while after I hit legs. It starts moving around lactic acid which is causing the "burn." But just rest, Icy Hot, ibuprofen and smoking should do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

this is a common misconception  about creatine. 

the only thing that will happen is that you are likely to retain water weight, which will make you look a bit fuller. and maybe weight-in a few lbs more, but that's just water weight. 
    you can sweat 3lbs of weight in one hard workout pretty easily... (cardio) not weight lifting.

14. Well I did say look or feel fat,bloated,whatever. But again u still will have to workout or it will work against u in due time. It's meant to help u gain weight

it will NOT work against you in due time.

what do you even mean by that?

(it is not meant to help you gain weight... )

16. From what I seen creatine will put weight on. It does put weight on and helps u perform better with lifting. If u stopped lifting n stop running the creatine will not keep u looking as good as u did when u were working out and taking it. It will sit there in your system for a while. So if your just eating you can get bigger

17. 4 years+ with strong workout regimen and I never get sore, honestly. I'm pushing 30 and feel the best I ever have. I have no magic formula or anything, my body just heals pretty well. Actually, last night was the first time in years I haven't done cardio while at the gym. My legs never get too sore, neither do my arms or any other body parts. It's pretty awesome  :smoke:

18. Smoke something, hot tub it, Netflix and chill

19. i use Physique from shaklee. recovery is way quicker, and its a natural product, no garbage..