My 2Nd Real Grow Attempt, W/ Pics Bubble Cloner/clone Machine, Dwc

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by hddani, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Day 22 from seed
    Shes loving the LST, bouncing back up within a couple of hours no matter what I tie down. I've gotten a little more aggressive tying down the upper fan leaves to expose even more of the lower growth to light, since the CFLs don't penetrate that far anyway. Got the main stem and top growth bent over as close to a right angle as I dared. The lower growth on the side tied down is slowly curling around the stem to get to the light, and the exposed lower growth is growing big and straight up to the light.

A few leaves appear like they've been "bitten" by some bugs or something but I've looked and looked under every leaf with a small magnification lens and see no evidence of any infestation. 
    Also, my roots have that dreaded "tan to brown" color. I am just assuming they're stained from the Lucas Formula. I've handled and smelled the roots and they don't break off easy or smell off, they smell healthy and normal and so does the soup (NO light leaks, temps under control). The plant itself looks ok, aside from the few bitten looking leaves but they themselves continue to grow and are perky.

I'll get pics of the leaves and the roots up tonight. ph steady at 5.8 and ppm rose steadily over the weekend from 420 to 455 so I brought it back down to 419 last night, then this morning it was at 423. Seems like the sweet spot around there.  :bongin:

2. 1.jpg
    Found out how close is too close for CFLs
    2.jpg
    Here is one of em that looks bitten
    3.jpg
    Light burn? 

4.jpg
    New growth on the exposed side, its starting to fill out really nice
    5.jpg
    The side pulled over by LST
    6.jpg
    Very new growth at the top of the plant, leaves pulled aside to show
    7.jpg
    Top growth

3. Day 30 update

Moved the 4" net pot from the 3 gallon rubbermaid tote to a 3.5 gallon all black bucket, the lid had a ~4" hole cut out then taped up with aluminum tape since it wasn't lightproof.
    I plan to take cuttings when they're ready and give the bubble cloner another try. I hope to be able to take enough and leave some extras in just a cup of water and see if that works also.
    View attachment 1609442
    Made the air line holes along the same height as the handle ends. My water line is about 1" below that. The net pot goes about 1/2" into the water. Roots were scaring me but it seems that when I raised ppm, new white root growth shot out of everywhere :) out of the netpot and existing roots.
    Long story short I raised it as high as 1000 ppm on Sunday, decreased to 800 by this morning, ph at 5.5 a few days too. No ph up on hand so I need to look up what I can use instead.
    Also, on Sunday night I decided to attempt my first topping, hoped for a FIM lol. Here is the top, from Sunday to this morning.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415126249.754970.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415126311.441030.jpg
    Original top, pulled to the side.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415126391.114620.jpg
    The bottom growth, loving the LST
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415126434.222727.jpg
    Got her bent over how I wanted.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415126476.405660.jpg
    This is my other one that sprouted the same day but I nute burned the life out of it. All burned leaves have been removed and this is slowly growing itself back, gave it a 400ppm Lucas Formula feeding last night, this same ppm of Clonex solution burned it....lets see what happens.
    Ah yea my birthday was Friday I have some goodies coming in tomorrow; 5x5x7 tent, 405W (290W actual draw) Blackstar Chrome LED, and 6" inline +carbon scrubber. 😍🎉🎉🎉

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1329219-My-2Nd-Real-Grow-Attempt%2C-W--Pics%21-Bubble-Cloner-clone-Machine%2C-Dwc

4. She's a thick lil' shorty

5. Happy belated b day btw. That's the size I have its pretty big, you'll enjoy I'm sure. Are you gonna move them in after you get it setup, and homeostatic?

6. I think on my next grow I'm gonna add another 600w fixture there's room for two in there.

7. Thank you =]
    Yes sir I sure do! I'm excited, fortunately the work day is flying.

8. #93 hddani, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
    Yesterday was 1 month from seed for my 2 plants and some cherry tomato seeds I popped sometime that same week. Got the tent, light, and exhaust all set up 😁 Without the AC yesterday, it hit 90 inside the tent on a warm day, so today I left them in the tent and set the AC like normal, since today will be just as warm. Probably going to need a humidifier next summer but I should be ok in winter.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415394923.178153.jpg
    That's as low as I can get the LED, about 30" from the top of the 3.5 gallon bucket, but I have new light hangers on the way to lower it. Those CFLs are going back to the grow box at the end of the weekend, and I'll repurpose it as a cloner box or seedling jump start box, or something lol
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415395592.662608.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415395695.753943.jpg
    Tied it down a little more
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415395727.258839.jpg
    I fucked this one up badly but only a few hours under LED and it already grew a little and towards the light, raised it on a box and some dvd cases.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1415395810.915405.jpg
    Tomato plants also enjoying the LED, they're only being fed leftover nutrient rich water from the other plants 😂

I need to figure out how to process the pictures in the future so they're easier to see.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1329219-My-2Nd-Real-Grow-Attempt%2C-W--Pics%21-Bubble-Cloner-clone-Machine%2C-Dwc

9. That's a bad ass led you got, hope it stays plenty cool in there for you

10. Mine does the same thing bro, the negative pressure vacuum was sucking all the cold air out. I ended up moving mine outside the tent piping it through the light and then the filter is outside too. You can't smell anything outside the closet, and you can still feel the vacuum when you open the door. When I open that door though you can smell it into the front room.

11. 79 is that money spot for Co2

12. #99 hddani, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  13. Ever thought about using a co2 boost bucket?