Your Mile Run Times?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by donewithweed, Aug 28, 2014.

1. I'm not a big runner, but I have started to get into it lately. I am curious what a good time is for running a mile? I will be outside, no treadmill. Don't know how big of a difference that is, other than there are plenty of hills around these parts.

I'm going to workout first, then run. So I will post back in a bit with my time!

2. I ran a 8:56 after my weightlifting session. I think that's a decent baseline!

I'll buy you an eighth if you can add a mile at the same pace...  :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Last time I had to do a timed run I did 2 miles in 14 minutes and some change. This is with a drill instructor yelling half an inch behind your ears at the top of his lungs. Fun stuff, I nearly puked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh my, that seems fast. I'll shoot for it, but it may take a while!

Do you run?

I should see what I can do increased distances in as well, because I was pretty tired after that.

6. The last half-marathon I ran (13.1 miles), my average pace was 9:12/mile. That was on off-road, hilly terrain in 90 degree weather. When I ran the London marathon (26.2 miles), I averaged 8:40/mile.

That was a long time ago though. I haven't paced myself in ages, but I reckon I'm in the best shape of my life right now.

7. I used to run 4:50 & 18min for 3.1 miles in HS. I was running 7:40 in elementary school, so I'd say any guy in decent shape shouldn't let a elementary school kid beat them in a mile. If you put in the work you could drop your time to 7:30 in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. My best was a 11:40 2 mile. I like to run the longer distances though and feel I do better on the 10, 12, 15 mile runs.

9. All time bests:

2 mile - 12:30
    5k - 17:42

10. Dang, everybody has some nice times. I will start working on 1 mile times, and 5k times. Don't think I'm anywhere ready for more than that :)

11. I used to run a mile in 6 mins. I'd say anything around 8 and less is a good goal to reach. 

12. Alright well tomorrow is a rest day from weights, so if my legs aren't sore I'll go for another run. Try a 5k this time.

13. 17:40 mile pace is like 5:40 mile. Your 2 mile should be at least 11min lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I never really pay much attention to timing myself.  I can do 2 miles in roughly 15-16 minutes.  I haven't ran a single mile in a long time but i reckon I could do it in around 6 minutes.  Never done anything more than 8 miles, which takes me maybe 70 minutes..

15. I think the most important part when starting to run is duration...try to run for 30 minutes (take breaks when you need to).  These folks talking about their sub-eight minute miles have probably been running for a while. 

I've picked it up and am running 5-5.5 miles and averaging about 8:45/mi and I am completely fine with that.  I am in my late 30's and from what I understand...this is completely acceptable for a beginner/casual runner.

I would suggest downloading a running app like runkeeper....helps track what you are doing and actually has some pretty good training tools...even with the basic version.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Honestly, don't worry at all about what other people run.  Run to benefit yourself.  Run to improve yourself.  Don't worry if its not as good as other people.

• Like Like x 1
    The two mile time was at boot camp when I first started running. When I got back, I continued to run more and more adding in sprint works, longer distance times, and mile repeats. I ran a 5k about a year and a half later with that result weighing around 190. Now I took up powerlifting more as a hobby weighing in around 212. I can still do a good 2 mile in 13:30 though but it is definitely not easy as it used to be.

18. #18 Sunny Jim, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    When I was an athlete in high school, I could run a mile in 6:30, and two miles in and around 13:30. Now I'm running a mile in 8:00, and it kills me to do so. I'm almost 20lbs heavier than I was then.

I would probably have a coronary, or at least throw up if I attempted two.

19. I think it was saturday when I did 4 miles and timed myself with the stopwatch on my phone.  My first mile was 7:40, the next two were a lot slower, and the fourth was something between 7:40 and 8:00.  Finished a little over 33 minutes, don't quite remember.  Competitive runners would probably laugh at that, but for someone who used to hate running I'm pretty impressed with myself.  :) I think I can double that at roughly the same pace.  

20. I use my free candy van to fatten them up, then I challenge them to races

Omega369