Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mj For Anxiety/depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by medatitus, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hey guys, so I'm looking to include responsible use of medical Cannabis in a wholistic approach including therapy and exercise and plenty of sobriety inbetween the medicinal herb. But when I get depressed cannabis has been able to pull me up (after I smoke like .2 of a gram) for a day and help me feel more positive.
    The problem is I have a really addictive personality and the cannabis that I've used has hit me like euphoria. 
    I buy from non medical sources so I can't verify the strains. The first I've been told is "Platinum Blue Dream" and the second is some kind of mellow pine type strain.
    I like the Euphoria but after I come down I have mad cravings for the herb for a week if I don't smoke.
    Oh and I've smoked less than 10 times in my life, 8 of them in the last month.
    Do any of you kind folks have any experience with strain that can be less craving inducing but help with the depression?
    Any other advice in general about this situation?
    Thanks a bunch [​IMG]

2. Hmm....thats a hard question to answer. I crave all strains as long as it was grown right. They all help me with my depression. I'd like to know the answer myself. If there is an answer.

3. For depression I like a nice, clear-headed and uplifting high, instead of some couch lock like many others prefer. 

4. i just started talking with a psychiatrist because of my depression and anxiety. during such, i told him about smoking weed and he says there's nothing wrong with it, and actually encouraged its use since im not currently on medication. he says once i am (in october) then we can reevaluate and see if i still even have a desire to smoke, or if it conflicts in any way(s).

he says the appetite increase (munchies) helps regulate my diet, eases my anxiey bc im more mellow and calm, and helps the depression bc of the euphoria type deal and just, you feel more at ease in general yeh ok.

5. I have severe anxiety disorder with manic depression. Blue dream has literally been the strain to help ease my mind and keep me upbeat and happy. As for the craving part, it's just a part of an addictive personality. You need to just do things to get your mind off it and your fine :) if you can't then cannabis might not be right for you. But I believe it's a mental addiction and is easily beat. I've done many things in my life an cannabis has been the easiest to let go when I've needed to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

6. Well said. This is how I feel as well if you have an addictive personality it's always going to be there no matter what substance you choose. I suffer with depression and anxiety but blue dream is the top strain that alleviates those with minimal come down/Side effects . I would also suggest Chocolope.

7. My wife suffers from some similar things. I recommend any indica strains. Smoking has replaced her Xanax which is a great thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #8 wanderingtoker, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    You certainly need to test stuff out though. Some of my anxiety friends get relief from indicas, for some sativas. I'm a Sativa guy for anxiety, indica for hunger.

9. #9 Gregsta, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    I know cannabis legitly helps me, as long as I don't overdo it and turn into a chronic smoker, cause if I do that I already know I'll be getting the opposite effects. So when I plan to start smoking again after this break, I want to do it responsibly.

And yeah .2 is definitely good enough, it amazes me people smoke SO damn much! I'm gonna move on to concentrates just so I need only 1 hit for like a whole day.

- Blue Dream, thumbs up to who said that !

10. Have you smoked those 8 times because you've felt depression, and are you still feeling depressed after the euphoria/during the cravings? I don't think 'cravings' are necessarily a bad thing, it could be your body's way of saying, "more please, that helped!"  I mean... if you're depressed, and you get release from that, hell yeah, it feels good!

To me... honestly, it's my medicine, and that's why my body craves it. Honestly, I liken it to when I started wheat grass, or raw cacao, and my body craved those, it's because it HELPED. 

Seeing as you don't do the medical route, CBD is kind of out, but it could help with the caboodle here (depression and cravings) but, in the meantime, maybe your body is just saying THIS WORKS!

When I started medicating, and therefore drinking less, exercising more, going to a therapist, I did find that I honestly felt that need lessen. With exceptions, if I had a particularly bad day, but... I also had to take the prozac everyday. So what's the difference? One worked, and didn't get me "hooked"

If it isn't keeping you from living life, in fact helping you to live it, why think of it as a vice? 

11. Ok, thanks everybody!
    This advice has helped, I have started to address my obsessive personality and the cravings have actually stopped, so I think it was more of a psychological obsession with an awesome new substance. 
    Still looking forward to using this to help my quality of life. 
    Thanks again.

12. I find that the best thing for my depression is a heavy sativa. I find sativa and sativa dominate hybrids to be more beneficial for getting the mind off of depressing thoughts. Although at night time indica is the way to go if you just want to sleep the day off. Unfortunately I don't live in a medical state so the best I can do as far as strain recognition is a shit tone of research and hoping my guy is accurate when he tells me what it is lol. Happy token.

13. Indicas and Sativas both help with depression. Indicas make me laugh for awhile and then lead to couch-lock (which can make me depressed during the day). Sativas lift my mood and change my perspective without couch-lock, but with less laughter. I usually reserve indicas for evenings.

14. another vote for blue dream.

however, as everyone is different so could be the strain that works best for you.
    the only way to find out, is to try a variety (a little at a time) and see how you react. 

sometimes i will have different reaction to the same strain (even same batch on a different day).

overall i'd say you probably want a hybrid (which is more heavy on indica side, but has sativa influence).
    i would also try some kush(es).. og kush, vanilla kush are my top ones. (og is my go-to strain for most purposes). 

15. Don't forget that for every "strain" there are multiple phenotypes that could or could not work for you. So don't just blow off one strain if the phenotype/plant grown of it you got didn't work. Some of the junk grown and sold these days have little to do with what is on it's name/label.  Buy reputable stable genetics from real breeders. Avoid the strain of the month growers for consistancy. Look for a well established company with a small selection of strains. These "oh that sounds good" stuff is usually too good to be true; if it is even the strain they are calling it. Buyer beware. Research how it should smell, look, and feel to help you identify the fakes. Oh that's another whole thread. :hippie:

16. when I first started smoking cannabis I could not stay out of the jar. I'd go search out the jar and open it and take a wiff- just blowin my mind with the smell then would sit there and not really want to smoke because it killed the natural intoxicating smell with the smoke smell. so just smelling the jar was good enough sometimes. later I found vaporizing and it is like smelling the jar all the time while medicating, vaporizing is the best way for the best bang for your buck( American consumerist acceptance phrase) .

17. I too worry about the addiction issue.

Bipolar, so all the fun that comes with that, and it tunred into a pain pill problem, and alcohol and I just don't get along.  Destroyed my life.  So this was a concern, when I found cannabis worked.  It gets further complicated, because I am in NA.

Blue Dream is the way to go, the NA guys (one was a doc with 30+ years clean) considered it as a medicine, in the circumstances and have no problem with it, and every doc endorses it.  Even have an endorsement from law enforcement, I would have prefered not to get the way I did.

It does and does not fit the addiction model.   And more not.  Of course everything can be over-done, and I am constantly wrestling with a moral dillema in my head over it, especially during "producive" hours.  It ain't cheap, the money screws with me too.

But damnit, it works.  I need to watch over-doing it, but it works.  And it has saved my life.  I go like a brick-shit house on skakes 18+ hours a day, 6-7 a week, so sure, there are weekends in the pot rabit hole.   But I have a mental runaway train to deal with, so, condemn me.  I condemn me.  At the end of the day, after I said the wrong thing on a phone call in mixed episode, and I knew the police were coming, I smoked out.  A lot.  And that was good.  Because the safety's were off hte guns that were pointed at me.  When the cops know the differnce between the call and the conclusion lies pot, even they tell you to keep using it.

18. #18 Gorillaseedbank, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
    I have a son with general anxiety, social anxiety, major depression with psychotic features - he's tried CBD Crew Yummy & says it helps. He's got to be real careful with anything strong enough to kick off any anxiety or paranoia, so he just smokes a little bit at a time no matter what it is.

For him to say it's helpful is a big thing - he can pop valium like Skittles & not even seem sedated, and he's also got in trouble with the pain pills in the past because they numb everything. Trying to use this to cut back on that ...

Anyway, just wanted to mention that some of the high-CBD stuff out there might be helpful for some.

~~sherry

19. I can pop any number of benzos. All I'll get is messed up. I don't like those things, even though I was prescribed xanax. I can't take the shit. Can't remember anything that happens when it's in my system. I had a few too many cookies the other day. Some sativa cookies. It's been a week or so and my anxiety/depression has only flared up one time and it was because of too much coffee. To say it doesn't help is like saying midgets are tall.

He refuses xanax because of the memory issues - he's got a memory-related learning disorder as it is.
    Kind of like dyslexia, but not.

He combines valium with suboxone to get a nice mellow buzz since he got in treatment for the opiate addiction & while it's not perfect, he functions & there have been no more nervous breakdowns/psychotic breaks.

That stuff is so bad for you though - so we're working on a kinder, more natural solution.

It's crazy though - 1/2 a valium would knock me out in about 30 minutes. I joke that he's got a record-breaking tolerance level & must be practically OD-proof - not that it should be funny, but you got to look at life in just the right way sometimes.

~~sherry