Vacuum Chamber Set Up Help.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Big_Ddog, Aug 28, 2014.

1. #1 Big_Ddog, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    Hey there guys,

Rookie here, take it easy. :p.

I've just started making oil and I am definitely not purging my product enough nor getting any desired results as I don't have the proper setup and tools,

I have been looking into getting a vacuum pump and chamber, and am in need of some guidance.

I found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSVJOOE It's the one gallon version, Enough for me and the misses, we only make a few grams each right now as it's only for personal.

So here is the few questions I have, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) I am wondering if a 75 micron pump that comes with the above chamber would be enough to pull a good vacuum in the chamber. Or will I still have left over contaminates in my oil?

2) Or should I not waste my money and just buy a chamber and a pump seperate?

3) How dry is your bud when you start?

4) Do you grind it up or leave it in small popcorn buds?

5) Is 2 runs the proper way to do it? I've always been told to grind it up and do just one run, Is it better to finger bust the first run then grind it up and do a second run?

6) This will be used maybe 2-3 times a month, i am located in canada, Does anyone have any other preferences of tools to use for this process?

2. #2 Jimmy Carter, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    is it a single stage pump? if it is, I would just buy them separately and get a 2-stage as it will pull harder and is a little quieter too

dry as possible, I will put my material in my vac chamber with no heat for probably an hour or so per oz or until its crispy dry.

I only grind if dewaxing/winterizing, other than that I will break it up into little 1/2" - 3/4" nugs if possible. never grind trim/shake

dont mix second run into the oil you plan on smoking, it will make it taste like shit. save your ran material and do a second run for edibles or just throw it out.

make sure to get an IR thermometer

3. I did a second run on some stuff and that shit is what I call "Booger snot" shit is just a bitch and never gets hard even in the freezer.

4. Yes I will be getting the Ir thermometer, Also does everyone use a griddle for heating the underside of your chamber? I've heard of reptile heat mats as well or is there any other way to obtain a stable heat?

So you are putting your starting material in your vac chamber before you even run it, and I assume you are pulling the moisture from the bud?

And yes it's a single stage pump, I'm not too worried about the noise as It will be used 3-4 times a month, maybe even once if I get my method down pact. But will it have enough pull to do the job? I'd rather get the pump with the kit for say $100, then forking out $3-400 on a good one. I've heard mixed reviews.

Ok so the majority of people doing 2 runs are using the 1st to smoke, and 2nd is more for edibles or crap stuff for a broke friend :p.

5. the pump I bought is $160 and pulls to 15 microns supposedly. been running great for over a year now easy.

and yeah, I'm pulling moisture from the material in the vac.

and second run usually isnt a good enough quality to smoke, one time I had some that was actually pretty good but i think that was because I didnt do a good enough job on the first pass.

6. Get the shattervac kit, I can't recommend anything better. Great choice! You won't need a 2-stage, that's tossing money away. 75 microns on a 1-stage is more than enough. Also do what Jimmy said and throw your weed in the shattervac with a desiccant before you blast it.
    4. Popcorn buds. I can tell you have been taking advice from me haha.
    5. Never felt the need to do a second run. I would imagine it would be a waste, it has never been recommended for as long as I've been talking about wax.
    6. Electric griddle
    Pyrex dishes for water bath purge
    Dabbing utensils
    Razor blades to scape wax off pyrex onto oil slick pad
    Gloves for when you blast. Butane gets VERY cold on your hands, and I highly recommend a good pair of gloves that prevents butane.
    Unbleached coffee filters
    Glass BHO extractor
    Butane (N-Tane most preferably, like Cloud Fuel or Puretane, stay away from vector, it's filled with a lot of propane!)
    Rubber bands to tighten coffee filters around BHO extractor
    and a round pizza stone to put on top of your electric griddle to govern the temperature!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

thanks for the reply bud,

So your saying the kit I posted with the 75 micron pump will be good enough for the job? I will max make maybe 10-15 grams of oil, nothing to much more.

I just don't want to end up buying the kit, then paying the shipping to canada, then finding out I need to buy a new pump because the one included won't do the job.

8. I cannot read 'shattervac' without laughing... smh

9. So whats so wrong with the kit other then the pump being 75 microns?

10. nothing wrong with the kit, just the name of it is wack as fuck. I mean c'mon, shattervac? really? :laughing:

11. lol ahh kk. I thought you were meaning the setup made you laugh :p.

I found a 10 micron pump for $160, but I think I'm going to try just getting the whole kit combo and seeing how the 75 micron pump works.

12. it should work fine, as long as your tech is on point you should be okay

13. Shellab vacuum ovens are sweet as fuck. 3 grand though.

14. I want a Yamato more than you know :p

15. I assure you, your product will be great. Happy blastin!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum