My Simple And Cheap Soil Mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organics4Life, Aug 27, 2014.

1. #1 Organics4Life, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
    Hey guys. New member but loooooooong time reader here. I have a couple grows under my belt using the General Organics starter box and am wanting to go to something simpler. I was wonderng how the following soil mix sounds and what ratios I should mix everything and what else i should add. This is for a 1 plant grow in a 1.5"x2"x3" cabinet. ALL advice is welcome. Thanks everyone!

So for the base "soil" I have Espoma Organic Peat Moss, Espoma Organic perlite and worm castings. Should I just mix them all 1:1:1?

And for the nutrients and minerals I have Jobe's organics vegetable and tomato fertilizer, Espoma Plant Tone, Dr. Earth Kelp Meal, Agricultural lime, and azomite. Do these sound OK? Need anything else? And what ratio/amounts should I add to the base "soil"? With all of this will it be a water only grow? I'm planning on doing some AACTs also.

I can get all of this for about $60. I have a pretty small budget and that about maxes it out. Any and all advice I can get will be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Edit: Well I decided to go with buildasoil.com per Jerry's reccomendation. I can get 4 gallons of pre-mixed, ready to use living soil with quality amendments for $25 shipped. No mixing, no cooking. They also have a wide range of single amendments so you can mix your own soil(everything you need!). For anyone who can't get anything but miracle grow crap locally, I highly suggest checking out buildasoil.com. Good luck everyone!

2. Try to get some good compost (high humic quality) to mix with your castings. Try to find some alfalfa meal or even pellets from a feed store. That will be a good addition. Also, you can ditch the azomite. A few dudes here can tell you why...Try and find granite rock dust or some sort of basalt dust/rock dust. Also, you could benefit by adding some neem cake/neem meal/karanja meal. Just a tidbit-Espoma is better than Jobes. And cheaper. I've never seen Espoma peat moss. But I assume it's decent. Good luck and continue with any questions you may have. Lots of helpful folks here. Read through "easy organic soil mix for beginners" if you already have not.

3. Thanks FarmPutz!
    I'll see if I can find quality compost(tiny selection where I am) though im sure I can source it from SOMEWHERE. I'll get some alfalfa meal also.
    I'll ditch the azomite and try to source some granite rock dust. Will espoma greensand work? I'll also ditch the Jobes and go with another product. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

4. #4 FarmPutz, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    Cool deal! Don't know anything about greensand sorry. Sounds like you're covered with the organic dry ferts from Espoma. Like plant and garden tone. You should be able to get a 50lb bag of alfalfa pellets for 15$ from your local feed store. That will last you a loooong time. Grind the pellets up with an old coffee grinder or mortar/pestle before tossing them in your mix. Important to let your soil mix sit for a month if you can. You can get blood and bone meal but I'm not a fan of those. Others will have different experiences and input. Neemresource.com is a good site. As well as buildasoil.

5. Greensand is not rock dust. They're both "minerals" but you're looking for pulverized rock - the consistency of flour.

Good luck kn your mix. Try "rock dust local" - shipping included and quality products.

J

6. #6 Organics4Life, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    Perfect. Thank you.

OK...so my new mix is now gonna consist of:

"Soil mix"
    Espoma organic peat moss, espoma organic perlite, and worm castings.(also some compost if I can find any quality stuff)

"Amendments and minerals"
    Espoma bio-tone, Espoma Plant Tone, Dr. Earth alfalfa meal, Dr. Earth kelp meal, Rock dust(if I can find in smaller quantities), neem meal, and agricultural lime.

I don't know if I will be able to get rock dust or neem meal. I cant justify buying huge quantites that i will never finish in my lifetime with my small box. (Plus I can't afford those larger quantities at the moment) unless someone can point me in the direction of smaller quantities(5 lbs or less)

Now all i need to know is how much of each ammendment to add to my soil mix. I will only be using about 4 to 5 gallons of soil per plant per run.

Thanks everyone! I don't know what I'd do without this place haha

Is it "you have". or is it "I can get"? If you "have" something, it makes no sense to buy something else to do the same thing.

Not for 1 plant and that small amount of mix and a $60 budget.

Wet

8. what's the deal on azomite? fear of aluminum? its name stands for minerals A through Z, i really like the results i get with its use.

So do I, and will continue to use it. 1cup/cf works great.

Wet

10. Apparently the chelation of the alumina-silicate compounds in the high humic soil is cause for concern. This is only what I've read from CC and a couple other growmies.

11. #11 jerry111165, Aug 28, 2014
    I didn't realize there was a $60 budget. While I have no idea on pricing I've seen others have great results buying soil all ready to use from "buildasoil.com". This soil is based on CC's mix and uses quality components.

Just a thought.

Edit: especially for a single plant.

J

12. Hey Wet, thanks for replying. When I said "I have" i meant "I have in mind" lol. Sorry for the confusion!

13. #13 Organics4Life, Aug 28, 2014
    Well its not exactly $60 but I cant afford to spend over $100. I'm looking into "buildasoil.com" and I'll let u know what I decide. My problem is its near impossible to find anything but miracle grow around my parts. Thanks J!

Edit: Holy shit Jerry! I wish I would have know about buildasoil.com earlier! That is perfect for my needs! Thank you thank you thank you thank you! 4 gallons of living soil with all the quality amendments for $25 shipped. Cant beat that when you only need small amounts. And yes I know that I could make the same 4 gallons of soil for way cheaper in bulk but the up front costs are what would kill me. :)

14. Yeah, the *up front* costs can be a real sticker shock. :eek:

Best to start slow and keep it basic.

Wet

15. This could be a good way for you to get into the game and "test the waters" for cheap money. It'll give you time to experiment and slowly pick up this or that, here and there while still using quality soil in your garden.

Good luck. You'll enjoy the simplicity and health of a nice organic garden. Have fun!

J

16. Thanks again J!

17. Why not just purchase a bag of super coco?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. I've never heard of super coco. Care to elaborate? Haha

19. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409418753.599810.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409418753.599810.jpg

20. #20 AugustWest, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014

$25 ain't bad when you consider that you can keep using it over and over again..

so 1 little branch off of the bottom of the first plant covered the cost of your soil.. sounds good enough to me :p