The Bong, Reinvented

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by CitrusCityStoner, Aug 26, 2014.

1. So i had just kicked a decent sesh with 2 of my buddies when an idea took form in my mind. I was trying to come up with an innovative new way to smoke your weed.

ok so heres the idea.... (not 100% sure this would work so i need my fellow gc member's intelligence here to help me figure this one out.)

In your average bong, as we all know, the air along with the smoke goes through the down-stem, under water, then rises to the surface in a bubble form to cool down the intense heat of the smoke to create a smoother, more enjoyable hit. the bubbles then pop on the surface of the water allowing the cooled smoke to rise through the bong and into your happy lungs :)

now what if we had a bong where this process was flipped completely?

this is how it works.

at the very top of the bong is a bowl (no downstem needed) that fits into the hole you would pour the water in. directly below the bowl is a pocket of air for the smoke to build up. below that is the water. below that, sits a interchangeable filter that allows oxygen to pass through it  but prevents water from passing through. below that is another air pocket that connects to either a hookah hose or a glass mouthpiece where the smoke will exit.

so heres how it works...

you light your packed bowl at the top. the smoke then goes down into the water chamber and (hopefully since the filter below the water prevents water but allows air passage) forms bubbles that instead of rising like your average bong, sink below the surface of the water and travel much slower (allowing for more cooling of the smoke). these bubbles then pass through the filter and into the air chamber below where the smoke then passes through the hookah hose or glass mouthpiece and into your lungs.

If this concept is possible, this would mean you could pull at the same rate that the bubbles naturally want to rise, resulting in a fixed bubble that can cool underwater for as long as you want.

please give me your opinions on whether or not this would work or any changes you would make to the design.

2. It's just a more complicated made bong. Same basic principle

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Sorry. I'm really stoned. It's not the same. But being that there is nothing that will allow air to flow through it and not water it is impossible.
    Good thought though.

4. This sounds a lot like a waterfall bong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. That would be the shit but I'm not sure a "filter" like that exist and I imagine it would be pretty difficult to make one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

6. what if you took a normal bong but instead of attaching a bowl to the down stem, you some how attach a gravity bong adapter with the bowl on top of the bottle (or container being used). you could call it the Space Bong

7. Think about the material they use in weather proof jackets. A lot of them use a "breathing", "waterproof material". Idk just an idea but my main concern is... Would the water block the bubbles from being formed even if it were possible?

8. Would that even clean well, or would it end up molding in there?

9. How the fuck you gonna defy gravity bruh?

10. That's why I had mentioned "interchangeable" filters

11. It's not defying gravity, it's pulling a low density medium downwards through a medium of higher density. That's the questionable part.

12. they make bong with bowls on top, usually its cheap china garbage though

13. not even close. Sure I guess the shape would slightly reaemble a gravity bong but the way it works is unlike any bong on the market to my knowledge

14. Draw us a picture of it. So we can get a better idea. It doesnt have to be flawless. Do it on paint even

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1409610598.764348.jpg

Better?

16. Nice drawing but the problem I see is with this filter.. How do you get air through with no water? My stoned brain is having some trouble understanding

Sent from my LG-D851 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Any filter that would allow oxygen to pass through it but not water would have to be so fine of a filter that it would clog too easily. Look at a DG fritted disk. It's a perc made from tiny pieces of glass melted together into a disk that is no where near small enough to stop water. They clog up and have a fair bit of constriction; anything with finer filtration wouldn't be very useful as it would filter out a lot of the good stuff(thc and all those active cannabinoids and terpenes) as well as the bad stuff(tar and ash from the burnt plant matter)

18. Since water is H20: 1 hydrogen 2 oxygen, you can have a filter that allows oxygen to pass but not water. Smoke isn't oxygen though, it is probably a variety of "things" that might be "bigger" than water molecules and thus this idea could never work

19. So theres a filter that seperates oxyxen and hydrogen molecules? Leaving behing only... Hydrogen?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Looks a lot like an hookah but the water being on top and the bottom being some sort of smoke storage?