Getting Back On The Horse

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by fuckthecops, Aug 26, 2014.

1. What's up GC. I'm a former athlete *shudder* and I'm trying to get back into shape. I played soccer competitively all my life until I went to college. I completely stopped working out and although I haven't really gained too much weight, I'm completely out of shape. It's pretty much been 4 years since I've had a weekly workout regimen and I'm trying to get back into it!

Anybody have any tips for starting up again? Anything from exercise tips, to nutrition advice or even a simple, "get your ass up and run!" would help motivate me lol

2. Get a workout buddy. Having someone to motivate you to stay on track can really make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 bluntfists, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    start slow but go often. just getting into the routine and letting you're body adjust is the best start. even if it is for 20minutes a day for a couple weeks you will see better results.
    most people start going back to the gym and try to lift or workout like they used to. this results in you fatiguing yourself the first day and being sore for like 3+ lol.  

I recommend starting with doing 20-30 minutes of cardio like either running or cycling than just doing basic work outs like push ups and crunches to start.  Every day add 1 more push up to your reps and every week add another set. so the first week lets do you start with two sets of 10 push ups. the next day is two sets of 11, then 2 of 12. at the end of the week you are doing 3 sets of 15-20. you can work in sets of harder style push ups also.  at the end of the month you are doing around 4-6 sets of 40+ each 

just start slow and eat healthy. carbs and proteins in the morning and just proteins at night. no carbs before bed. eat fruits and veggies all day long. Drink plenty of water and stay away from processed foods.

best thing I can say for diet is if it has sugar or chemicals in it than do not drink it. if it is processed or fried don't eat it. stick to whole grains, lean meats and every fruit and vegetable you can stomach. don't skimp on spices and herbs also. this will help you stay away from so much salt.

4. Start slow to build up the frequency. I start fast and shit has me sore for a week lol. I workout alone so I can motivate myself instead of relying on other. If you need motivation then you can look at YouTube workout videos to inspire yourself. I'm doing calisthenics for now cuz I injured my shoulder doing bench press. I'm starting from the bottom to get my strength up before lifting weights again. I love calisthenics more than I thought cuz I can workout fast at the park instead waiting on somebody to finish their sets at the gym lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. You can eat junk every now and then so it won't hurt. Ice cream and peanut butter are my junk food on daily basis. I eat doughnuts on the weekend only.

6. Cheater meals are important but I wouldn't go over board with it.

you need to have variety in the diet and DO still need to make sure you are getting enough of the fats, as well as the right fats.

7. Whatever you do, do NOT eat 8 scoops of protien powder if the serving suggestion only calls for 1.

8. At least we on the same page cuz I eat healthy 80-90% and junk 10-20% on daily basis. I eat fruits and veggies everyday so I'm good.