Will My Plant Ever Be Ready? Do Trichomes Always Turn?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WalkingStickMan, Aug 25, 2014.

Wow, that's a fast answer.  Are you on a pager LOL.

So does the state of the leaves indicate anything, or is it all about the hairs ...

Thanks.

2. the leaves are going to start to die off near the end anyway, it's mostly about the bud appearance. you don't want to replace the nutrients and fix those late flowering deficiencies though, because most growers flush any nutrients they may have used for the last bit of the life cycle to ensure a clean smoke. keep an eye on the bud appearance, but know that the leaves dying off is normal later in flowering, esp right before harvest.

3. No just happend that way, it is all about the flowers...

When a plant is in full bloom and getting close there in no need to be concerned with the health of the leaves. The plant is done growing them. I throw buckets of leaves to the compost pile or the chickens.

4. How's this looking?

Hope you don't mind, OP.  Just lemme know if you do.

Attached Files:

5. The red hair method is a myth imo.

I had plants two weeks into flower. I stupidly dusted a shelf by them. The dust touched the hairs and the next day they were all red. The plant didnt mature for 8 more weeks. You can spray some soap water on your buds if you wanna see for yourself, pretty much any "pollution" will do it.

Follow this pic.
    [​IMG]

In college I met a few illegal aliens who wanted help growin weed. Their grandfathers had taught them the "red hair method" and their weed never ripened fully. They were kinda trippin that a "white boy" grew better weed than their grandfathers. The ones who were curious learned somethin new.

There is no "one way" or one size fits all. All grows and plants are different. I always wait til most of my trichromes are at least pretty cloudy, but some plants ive grown dont get trichromes nearly at all. You kinda learn to just know the more you grow, if you know what im tryna say.

When people wanna rush the grow I always leave them with this advice...."you waited this long to harvest, why fuck it all up now?" :smoke:

End of the day, it's yo thang, do whacha wanna do...

I don't think it's about rushing necessarily.  Alot of us are nobs and just don't know, so we ask.

7. #27 rain dancer, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Have you EVER met a new grower who wasnt anxious to finish and smoke their first crop?

8. the red hair thing isnt a myth but it's true that if it get's disturbed or dries out it can turn early. For most circumstances though it's a pretty reliable method. You'd have to really mess up a plant to get everything to turn early, usually it's just the tops of one or two bud sites in my experience.

sometimes it's the second crop :hello:  I'm not in a rush, I have enough already!

it's like baking bread, it's kinda hard to know when the loaf is ready for the oven

10. #30 morange, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    @[member="forty winks"] looks like you are getting close, still a few weeks left though IMO. Looks around 5-6 out of a 9 week strain if I compare it to the growth patterns I usually see.

11. Doesnt change my point.

Known a lot of people to ruin a crop with an early harvest, but i dont care what anyone else does :lol:

Not my herb hehe

12. In my experience it's usually the people relying on the scope purely that harvest early, since they can deceive the true ripeness of the plant especially to a novice. Waiting for the hairs to turn will pretty much always put you in the right window for harvesting, unless it's strain specific. I see lots of posts with growers showing a close up of some trichomes but then the full plant picture looks like it's only 4 weeks in.

13. Im gonna disagree with you there respectfully. Id say ya got it backwards, but you got your way and ive got mine. Id never rely on any one method personally.

14. #34 forty winks, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014

Perfect.  I was thinking a couple more weeks too.  Supposed to be sunny, so that makes it a little easier.

Oh, and danks for your help.

15. I don't smoke at all, so I am in no rush to harvest to smoke. Although I do feel obligated to try some of the product I am growing. I am growing only to help my old lady. Well really she grows I watch because she has the card you know. I stand in the background shouting orders, to do anything else would be a crime so you know it's all about following laws. That said I am in no rush to harvest, she however saw her first popcorn bud and was like let's cut that sucker, microwave here we come. After a long drawn out battle I talked her down from the ledge. We have 4 beautiful girls coming soon, well not to soon 6 weeks I think. I bought a scope for the grow 60-100x $11 glad I didn't spend more. I think we are going with the hair method. Hoping that they finish in 8weeks as I newbishly took clones to early. Also nobody told me that vegging 8weeks from seed was crazy talk. 27" when I flipped to flower two weeks later 42", they are quickly working on getting burned by my indoor sun. Now I will have clones that are 10weeks old by time this one's are done flowering. What do you do with that?

16. they can take forever to change if its stressed....I wait till calyes are stacking and swollen, hairs are brown and retracting and heads are cloudy with some amber starting