New Vs Old Cree Bulbs? 9W 5000K Bulbs Specifically

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Atmo, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hey guys,
    I've read that there are 2 versions of the Cree LED bulbs. I have one of each of the 9w 5000k bulbs (60w equivalent).

One of them has a more rubbery feeling to the glass dome (like it's coated in silicone or something) and one is smoother. The rubbery-feeling one came in a package that opened like a pamphlet, and the smoother bulb came in a single-sheet of cardboard type packaging.

Which one is the new version? I assume the more rubbery-feeling one? Only because it has more packaging/info on it, but I can't be sure.

Which one is better? I've heard the older ones were better but I can't remember where I read that and now I can't find any info on it.

I would like to exchange the lesser of the two and then purchase more. One Home Depot near me carries one version and another HD carries the other.

I still don't know if I will be taking the glass domes off, either... what do you guys think? I've read pros and cons to both. I know there is the chance of shock without the protective glass, but if we're talking about the light itself, should I take the dome off or not? They will be mounted horizontally if that helps. I would be willing to add some type of reflectors to the bulbs if it would be worth it and if height allows.

I will be using 8-10x 9w Cree bulbs for vegging in my small 1.5' x 2' veg chamber (shooting for 25-30w per sq foot)

Flower chamber has an RW-75 and will have additional 3000k Cree bulbs (probably 2-4x 9.5w)

Thanks guys!

2. #2 Atmo, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Ok guys, so I think I found my answer. They are technically the same bulb, possibly just a package upgrade. The only difference I can find is that one has a more rubbery coating and the other is slightly more translucent (very slightly).

Here are the bulbs side by side:

[​IMG]
    (note logo locations) The bulb on the left is slightly more translucent. The bulb on the right has the more rubbery coating.

Packages above their respective bulbs:
    [​IMG]

Package fronts:
    [​IMG]

They have the same serial numbers.. I am going to exchange the more rubbery coating one for the more translucent kind, though.

I am pretty sure the components are still the same, unless anyone else has anymore info on this?

Turns out neither one of these are the "old version" as you can tell by the heatsink design.

3. #3 Bongsauce, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Did I point you towards that captain morgan thread at RUI about these bulbs? I remember reading in that thread some guys were able to pop the plastic dome off just by heating up the bulbs. You could just light them up for a few hours and see if the domes pop off...if not wrap them in a towel or something to increase  the heat a little and try again. The heat loosens the glue on them. That might have been with the old bulbs though..I dunno. I use a different style of led bulb from lowe's (utilitech) the domes on those just pop off, there's no glue. So take a close look and see how they're fastened.

I would remove the domes if you can do so easily. Even if you mess one up you can return it. Be careful...btw the danger of being shocked would be by the fairly low voltage 12v DC that's running the leds. I'm not saying it woldn't zap you...but it think it would be safer then 110ac.

*please keep us updated on how these work out for you. I like the idea of using these style of led bulbs. :)

4. Yup I am a part of that thread as well :)
    As far as taking the domes off, I think I heard the older ones were easier but these can come off as well.
    Something I was thinking of trying, but I would have to see how they are built: I know the diode pillar can unravel to a flat sheet.. I was wondering if I could unravel each pillar but keep the bulb components intact, so basically they would be a series of mini flat panels, then I wouldn't have to worry about any lost light from the diodes on top.

Another thing I've seen people do is disassemble these bulbs, unravel the diode pillar and make their own flat LED panels. I may try that, too.. 

The only thing I wonder about when taking the domes off are if the light is still being shown at a proper angle.. would I need any additional lenses or anything like that? At least with the frosted glass the light is scattered evenly, you know?

5. I think a few ppl have grown with the domes in place with decent results. .. but that plastic dome has to be eating up quite a bit light.

I don't reallt know about unraveling them...one of the things I like most about this style of bulb is that it's just plug and play.

My leds on my blubs are bare..although they're spotlight style I don't think they need any kind of lens as long as you get good coverage.