Scrog Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Bongzillaa, Aug 25, 2014.

1. why cut off branches? thats bud you will be missing from harvest. if you train your plant you dont need to cut off branches the plant will not stress if done right. theplant will not go into shock. i will not be stunted it will not have any issues if you defoliate correctly. and you will out bud any plant the same size as a properly trained and defoliated plant period. how else are you going to crop 12 ounces off a single plant in a 32" x 32" x 32" growing area/? not by leaving all the leaves on the plant and loli popping bottom branches off. you guys keep growing your way and ill keep evolving and learning new techniques on how to get to be able to harvest 2+ pounds off 1 1000 watt light

2. Because if you don't cut the growing tips and small immature branches from under the screen they will compete for the resources that the leaves make with the larger colas. They will also grow to a very small size making it a nightmare on harvest day. If have ever had a harvest you would already know that.

Btw, 2 pounds from a 1000w light doesn't impress me

3. #23 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    1 gram a watt is the holy grail of growing cannabis and ive grown many crops indoors and out. if u train your plants right they wont have "top and bottoms" they will be horizontal bud masses thats the point of growing weed isnt it? to grow bud masses?

4. That doesn't really make sense. You shouldn't be embarrassed that you have never grown before. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just keep reading the forum and you will pick up a lot of info. When you have a bit of experience behind you, you will understand that what you are saying doesn't make sense. There's no point me explaining it, you're clearly not willing to listen to reason

5. whatever i have been growing for over 20 years dude

u need to take some horticulture classes buddy'

6. #26 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 4, 2014
     The removal of leaf, by hand, to be rid of shading of any other buds, nodes, or growth in crowded situations. 

This could be called a substitute to the removal of lower branches, another popular technique sometimes called lollipopping. 

As described by k33ftr elsewhere: Defoliation encourages branching in vegging plants in the same way as nipping the leader. The benefit of this technique is that the leader is retained to continue to create branches. It also shortens nodal length creating a more compact specimen

Of importance is: It also shortens nodal length creating a more compact specimen. More on that later.
    this guys been doing this for 3 decades 3 decades of experience with this technique reveal that bud growth benefits more from light exposure than whether the corresponding fan leaf is present.

7. I have. And I have also been growing for over 20 years.
    How can you possibly have been growing 20 years without picking up simple bits of knowledge like clearing out the growing shoots from under the screen, and that the leaves feed the plant so it can grow bud? Baffling

8. #28 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 4, 2014
    dude ive tried growing every possible way currently im dabbing in fogging hybrid hydroponics ive loli popped super cropped fimmed let them do their own thing u name it i have tried the growing method. your growing your way im growing several different ways....constantly evolving im not satisfied with yields of 1/2 gram a watt not when you factor in a/c costs nutrient costs labor and electricity. if you added all that up were at 3000 watts to run 1200 watts of hid. so really to get an actual gram a watt you would have to crop 3000 grams.

9. Hey guys still cant fill out the front of the tent and the back is over growing pretty hard with a bit of stretching, its getting real compact in some parts and in some parts not so compact.
    ill post a few pics

Attached Files:

10. time to flower?

11. Is it alright for the front to be overgrowing like this?

I mean back

Attached Files:

The problem is, is that you haven't used the screen. You have let the plant grow through like it wasn't there.

The idea of a ScrOG is you keep all growth under the screen until you flower. Keeping all growth under it allows you to create a very full and even canopy. When switching to flower you allow all the growing tips come up through together. 

You have to give the plant some veg time under the screen so all the growth has time to even up 

13. Alright I started criss crossing the branches to try keep them under the net, I had to criss cross some parts of the plants through each other to keep them even, is this what I should've done?

Attached Files:

have you run a scrog before?

you don't want branches w/ buds growing under the screen..

15. #35 GoldGrower, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014

No, not really. You should have kept all growth under the screen. As in, not let any growth come up through the screen

Are you on 12/12 yet? If not, you shouldn't have anything above the screen.

Personally at this point I would lift off the screen and then put it back on and arrange the branches underneath so they are spread out evenly.

But it's not something that has to be done. You could just flower now and I'm sure it will be fine. The canopy probably won't be perfectly even because some tips are more dominant than others but you will still get a decent harvest I'm sure

16. If u trained your plants correctly you don't end up with bottoms that's why I don't cut them off I train early bending and tying for even canopy. If I can't train the tops to not shoot up faster than the rest of the plant I lop it off.

Why would you want "tops" shooting up faster than the rest of the plant? ScrOGing is all about getting the canopy even. 

At the end of that statement you are saying you "lop off branches", but at the beginning you said "you don't cut them off".

You obviously don't understand some details of ScrOG so I don't believe you have ever done it before

18. #39 Pot Professor Paul, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
    my screen is 21 inches above the plants. this gives me an additional 16 inches more above the screen to grow if my buds decide to get big. my lights are 36 inches above the screen. 16 inches is perfect height for 2 600s

19. I tried taking  the screen off but it wasn't going to happen without destroying plants, so I tried to get everything under the screen and untangle as much as possible, i got most of it i think. When I was doing all that I damaged the plants a little bit, lots a few leaves,couple tops and a branch or 2. do you guys  reckon I should start flowering tomorrow? or wait another day or 2 just in case they are stressed

Attached Files: