First Timer Here... Gathering Supplies

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NineNine, Aug 25, 2014.

1. After much debate, and mixed reviews on here, I just went ahead with Attitude to get me the seeds I need for my first ever grow. I'm nervous and a little scared (because of Attitude).

I'm reading as much as I can about all that I can. I've been wanting to take on gardening for several years now, mostly because I don't like Reggie and I hate high homegrown prices. So I got my beans ordered, and now I wait.

I've also ordered a Mars II 400w for my lighting. GrowDen Hydroponics Tent for my indoor housing.

Still have to pick up stuff like fans, soil, nutes, etc.

If my tent is 3' x 3' x 6', how many plants can I grow with one Mars II 400w? I'll be doing Auto Fems. Also, is a carbon filter absolutely necessary? Thanks! Feel free to pitch in on your opinions, etc. I appreciate it!

I will keep you guys posted on the Attitude shipping. I hope it comes through safe and well.

By the way, I picked up some Sugar Black Rose, Narcotherapy Auto, AutoFrisian Dew, Berry Bomb

They gave me Blue Hash, Powerkush, Blue Widow for free.

Sent from my spaceship 👽

2. Anyone? Advice? Please?

Sent from my spaceship 👽

3. Are you decided on what nutrients and soil or medium? 3x3 is good for four or less with longer veg time

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'd grow 4 in a 3x3, kinda tight but w/e

Carbon filter is necessary if you don't want your neighbors smelling it. Granted, some guys here live in the boonies and have no need for such luxuries, but I'd expect to smell your grow from the front door without one. I couldn't afford a filter when I started out, forced-air heat spread the smell all over the house, if the wrong person knocked on my door I'd have been fucked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you are legal you dont need filters, I dont have filters. Harvest is when the house reeks like crazy. :D Not the growing so much.

Consider hydro DWC its nothing more then rocks over a tub of water with an air pump making it bubble. Super simple and grows way faster.

Grow a 1/4 pound in less than 90 days. The starter kits are cheap and work great.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-SITE-HYDROPONIC-GROW-BOX-SYSTEM-KIT-5-GALLON-COMPLETE-W-NUTRIENTS-pH-TEST-/151394168967?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item233fcbb087

• Like Like x 2
  6. I asked a couple folks who suggested BioTone StarterPlus w/perlite (70/30) for my soil and Miracle grow all purpose for nutes since I'm a beginner. Suggestions? Thanks for replying!!
    Good looking out. I guess I'll kick the extra cash for a carbon filter I saw on Amazon. Thanks a lot for replying!

Bro I am so noob that I've read mostly about soils, however, hydro growing intrigues me very much. Does hydro yield better quality than soil? I'm extremely curious. I don't wanna completely foul up my first time. Thanks for the advice!! I appreciate the reply.

Sent from my spaceship 👽

hydro will give you 125% -150% , less work, less bugs, plants grow faster. Its even less cost.

I wish i started hydro a decade ago, I want to throw dirt clods at people who say its difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  8. X2 what snoop said... Hydro really is more simple. DWC is even more simple. If you must use a grow medium use coco and perlite with a hydro nute setup that is made for coco.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 NineNine, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Quality or quantity? Which does hydro provide? Also, you mean grow in coco and perlite, but with hydro nutes on top of soil nutes? I found a YouTube video. Are we allowed to embed the link or can I PM it to you? Thanks!!

Sent from my spaceship 👽

11. When I'm indoors I just mix peat/perlite at 60/40 and throw in dolomite lime for pH. You can use whatever nutes you want with that mix. You'll use far less nutes with proper watering than a true hydro setup and if you figure a bale of peat is $12, a huge bag of perlite is $12-15, and a few pounds of lime is <$10 (all local, suburb USD prices) you can't get much cheaper in the long run. That small investment will net you enough supplies to grow in your small space for a very long time. Its a sterile soilless media so no bugs unless you bring them in. I've had great results using that setup. Get some pH drops at the very least.

If you go with a soil grow you get a good quality soil for $10-15 and a bag or 2 will fill up your space. But you are almost guaranteed gnats indoors with soil (more a nuisance than anything). Just water through veg and then nutes (veg & bloom nutes or an all purpose nute) in flower. You also get that soil buffer that gives you some wiggle room for mistakes. Get some pH drops just in case.

If you go hydro go with a DWC setup as its the most worry free. Your only concerns are maintaining your solution and making sure that air pump is pumping. With a hydro setup you really have to invest in quality testing equipment...or just keep reinvesting in cheap equipment.

For quality of the final product, my personal recommendation is true organics (feeding microbes, which in turn feed the ladies). But that's not always practical indoors and I only use it outdoors myself (which is most of my growing these days).

This is all simple beginner advice that you can obviously build upon as you gain experience/confidence.

• Like Like x 2
  12. You're too awesome, Aria!!

Sent from my spaceship 👽

13. I have two thc bombs under a 600w hortilux hps in 6.23 gallon pots and 1 clone in a 1 gallon pot . in my closet that's 4ftx2ftx8ft. And mine are loving it. I don't know much about mars lighting but 400w seems more like 2 plants would be better

Sent from my LG-D850 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I use pro mix soil and perlite .. My tap water comes out at 7 and I use flora micro and flora bloom using the Lucas formula and My soil ph is about 6.7 and My run off is about 6.3. I agree a good soil mix is the best

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've always wanted to try bubble buckets but don't really have the time to learn about them . in get great results using soil

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ok, so I'm almost decided I'm going indoors with:

Auto Fems
    4x4x80" grow tent
    700watt LED Mars II
    5 gallon buckets
    Peat/Perlite 80/20
    Cal Mag
    1 drop per gal of SuperThrive in my res
    FloraGro, FloraMicro, FloraBloom, Floralicious, Floranectar, Florablend, Seaweed Extract, Liquid KoolBloom

Am I missing anything or am I using too much? Advice? Critiques? Opinions?

Sent from my spaceship 👽

17. #17 CallMeAria, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    My only critique would be more perlite in that size container with just peat/perlite. Peat is notorious for two things: compaction and being difficult to saturate once dry. Combine those 2 problems and you're going to have a very hard time with watering. If you keep the medium moist then you can avoid those problems. But then you run the risk of suffocating your roots if you keep it too wet. Another option is to increase the amount of perlite or add another source of aeration. You really can't over do the perlite with liquid nutes. Yes you'll have more frequent waterings, but you also virtually eliminate the chances of over-watering.

Also, peat is pretty acidic. So take that into account.

EDIT: and don't forget ventilation AND air circulation. Didn't see those in your list.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alright Aria, so I'm gonna do peat/perlite at 60/40. Thank you!! I'll add the dolomite lime you suggested. I'm stuck on which carbon filter/inline fan to buy on Amazon. I got the 36"x36"x70" tent after all. I thought I had more room than I really do, so a smaller tent it is. Also, got a 700w Mars II led instead of the 400w Mars II, thinking my tent would be bigger.

Is a 700w Mars II too much light for a smaller 3'x3' tent??

And what do you, or anyone else suggest for the ventilation in a 3'x3' tent? I'm twisted with the limited choices now that I'm going with a smaller tent.

Sent from my spaceship 👽