I Have Synesthesia Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by kevzila, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 kevzila, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    made a thread in generals about weed tasting like water and someone suggested to put this disorder i have 

i hear colors n shapes and i taste colors 

i can also smell colors but its very weak and so is my visual sense

2. Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia; from the Ancient Greek ÏƒÏÎ½ syn, "together", andαἴσθησις aisthÄ“sis, "sensation") is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.<sup>[1]</sup><sup>[2]</sup><sup>[3]</sup><sup>[4]</sup> People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.
    Difficulties have been recognized in adequately defining synesthesia:<sup>[5]</sup><sup>[6]</sup> many different phenomena have been included in the term synesthesia ("union of the senses"), and in many cases the terminology seems to be inaccurate. A more accurate term may be ideasthesia.
    In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia,letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored.<sup>[7]</sup><sup>[8]</sup> In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may appear as a three-dimensional map (clockwise or counterclockwise).<sup>[9]</sup><sup>[10]</sup>
    Only a fraction of types of synesthesia have been evaluated by scientific research.<sup>[11]</sup> Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person.<sup>[12]</sup>
    Although synesthesia was the topic of intensive scientific investigation in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was largely abandoned by scientific research in the mid-20th century.<sup>[13]</sup> Psychological research has demonstrated that synesthetic experiences can have measurable behavioral consequences, and functional neuroimaging studies have identified differences in patterns of brain activation.<sup>[8]</sup> Many find that synesthesia aids the creative process.<sup>[citation needed]</sup> Psychologists and neuroscientists study synesthesia not only for its inherent appeal, but also for the insights it may give into cognitive and perceptual processes that occur in synesthetes and non-synesthetes alike

3. So if you hear a doorbell ring you would see a purple flash in front of your eyes? Or if you see flourescent pink under ultra violet light then you would taste bubblegum? Does the flavor of certain foods make you orgasm when eating it?

4. #4 rain dancer, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    And with that....who needs drugs? :p

5. #5 kevzila, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    when i think of a doorbell sound right now its a sharp yellow line kinda like a heartbeat machine but like more up n down lol

6. I've experienced this only one time in my life, which was with something that is unmentionable to even say unmentionable. I only got to 'see' sound. It was really awesome one of the neatest experiences I've had.

Do you get to see sounds?

7. be careful what you say on here. Some mods do not like that word.

8. Yeah seems the mod hammer is flyin lately.

I hear rumors of dark forces congregating at the gates of Mordor!

9. What does purple taste like?

10. Wow that is so cool. Ding for the up and dong for the down. If i had synthesea I would be ringing doorbells and giggling all day long.

11. this isn't going to make sense to a lot of people and i don't know how to explain it well but when i hear/taste/see color in my mind its like a dark room and when i happen to see/taste/hear a color it all appears there becoming a shape/color.. it feels like I'm using a different kind of thinking but I'm not trying to use that kind of thinking it just happens just like I'm breathing 

12. No. There is a girl so fair at the darkest depths of mordor. But color, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her.

I think I kind of get what you're saying. Sounds interesting. Is it something that bothers you or has it just become so much apart of your life that it's normal and you tune it out?

14. OP what do you see when you think of the number 7

And the number 24?

15. some colors i can describe like someone asked me what beige tasted like and i know it tastes like a sweet sugar caramel but some colors like purple i can only say it tastes like purple 

16. it doesn't bother me and its pretty much normal for me but sometimes i forget that i have this and i tell people like "oh this tastes like [color]" and usually my friends are like wtf but for me its normal

usually when I'm high with my friends i tell them the shape and color of the song and they are like wtf and amazed 

7-red
    2-sand yellow
    4- green 

17. #17 rain dancer, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Are the colors limited to single digits? Like 24 doesnt produce a unique picture as compared to 2 and 4?

Thats interesting :)

18. I didn't know there was a name for this shit.
    I guess I don't have an extreme case but I can relate, mostly relating sounds with colors and flavors.

Especially when OP said that purple just tastes like purple.
    I understood that.

19. I've tasted purple and light blue with unmentionables. The Blue was almost like spearmint but much better and soothing. Having a hard time recalling purple other than it was intense.

20. Wonder what blind people with synesthesia see?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.