Giving Up Soda. Need Tips.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by superkid17, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Drink beer?

dilligaf

2. Soda is really addictive.  But once you give it up its easy to stay away.  Among all the shit we consume in modern culture soda has got to be among the few worst.  And people really think that it is refreshing...

3. #23 Digital Veil, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    So much BS posted on this thread.

And for the OP, just quit cold turkey and never look back.  First week or two will be hard and then you'll be over it.  HFCS is not healthy.  If you must drink soda, go for Mexican coke.

4. it's probably the caffeine in it that you are having trouble with. best thing to do is to not drink it.... that simple. you wont have withdrawal symptoms or anything crazy you will just get cravings..... don't give into those craving and you will be fine. they are just the body lusting for something, so just say no lol.

5. The only time I drink soda is at a cookout or family gathering. I drink about 5-15 soda a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. It might sound cliché, but after I stopped drinking Coke (my old soda of choice) for awhile, once I drank one again, it just tasted...weird. Like some kind of acidic syrup. Same thing happened with Mountain Dew, I can't drink the regular or diet anymore without being grossed out. All soda is empty, teeth-rotting calories, filled with sugar and sodium. By god, we love it, but that's all it is. Go cold turkey like you're quitting smoking until you stop craving it. Then a glass of water will likely start looking a lot more appealing than a Coke anyway.

If part of your soda habit is the need for caffeine, have some tea or coffee instead. If it's sweetened, then obviously go easy on that as well. If you're going to replace soda with juice often, you might want to try diluting it with water or soda water, it's not unhealthy, of course, but it does have a high sugar content.

7. Damn. I love soda. Mt Dew and Coca Cola are the ones for me. I probably drink about 20 sodas/month. I'm also counting the sodas that go in my crown and coke, jack and coke, bacardi and coke,.... You get the idea. Perhaps I should cut back a bit.

8. Blueberry juice is your friend! Kills cotten mouth!

9. I quit drinking soda, now I drink vodka

Omega369

10. #30 lazytoker, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    I didn't know it was such a struggle for some to quit drinking soda. Maybe check out some AA or NA meetings for support.... :smoking:

11. Best thing to do is go cold turkey. Trying to ease into it is just gonna keep the craving there. As others have said juice and sweetened ice tea is not a better alternative, they have just as much if not more sugar than some sodas. I would go with just water for a few weeks. If you like tea look for ones that have nothing but the tea leaves brewed into them. Last but not least if you wanna splurge once in awhile try to drink something with natural sugars in it like coconut water.

12. The sugar is the most addicting part. Just snack on candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. i quit drink soda when i was 15. wasn't that hard. i love water and juice. now i have a little soda with alcohol but that's about it. it's pretty gross once you stop. just think.. most of it is about as bad as battery acid. even diet. half the time it hurts my throat, now. and it's too sugary for my teeth.

14. I need to stop I hate soda but it's all my girlfriend drinks so it's always around and she has no plans of giving it up she hates tea and juice and just about everything...

I drink Arnold palmers most of the time but since soda is always around I can't help but to drink it at least once or twice a day

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

15. how can you hate juice? i have heard people say they hate water. howwwww the fuck can you hate 98% of your body? you need it to live. it is the most refreshing drink in the world. if i have kids, i don't plan on introducing the to soda.

16. #36 invinciblejets, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    See will drink some juice but not really real juice..she has some sort of eating disorder all she eats is pizza goldfish coca cola grilled cheese no meat no vegetables
    I try want to break her but it's hard

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

17. LOL. i'm sorry. um.. she needs help.

18. I didn't give up soda but I drink it maybe once every 2 weeks. When I was younger I would chug that shit daily but it's gross and terrible, so is juice.
    Im at college where I can get it every meal of every day, but I only drink water and milk. It's not hard. Chocolate milk ftw

That's not very fair to the kid. I mean you have to learn with experience, right?

I think that's what it's all based on anyways. Depending on what quality of foods you introduce your child to, it might grow up to have good taste or cheap taste. But personally I don't think it'd be good to completely deprive him/her of it -- they'll just go crazy for it later on in life lol.

My mother let me drink soda, but for some reason I just never really enjoyed it as much as other kids because I was introduced early to nicer types of food.

But to each his own amirite? Parenting is just complicated in general.

20. i get on and off soda kicks. anything sugar free is poison though so your better off just using lemon and a tiny bit of sugar.