Evolution Food For Thought.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Organicdreamin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Sorry I am not trying to directly debate any of you people lol I just think it is a bad idea to teach Darwin's theory of evoluton unless you are also going to teach alongside it the well proprosed crticisms against it. I am not trying to merely point out flaws, it is a fact that Darwinism has many failed predictions. But I am just saying this..

Because it relates to the thread...

Yep........

Think I'm done here lol

2. #82 mrs. illadelphin, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014

Hmm. Over simplification of what I was implying. So funny hehehe..

3. Darwin is explaining the process by which the life on earth has evolved. Yes I have read both and just recently finished the Origin of Species. There is NO possible way you can get from evolution by natural selection to the horrors of Nazism. To draw that connection would be a feat of intellectual dishonesty. Hitler was doing nothing more than taking concepts, convoluting and twisting them for his own pleasure and purpose. Of course you can claim that "their logic" lead them to a conclusion, however their logic IS faulty if they were drawn to that. 

If you'd like to read about my position on evolution I can link you to a thread which I argued against another Grasscity member. I am a medical student who studies evolutionary biology, as well as other sciences in my undergraduate years. 

I don't have "faith" in evolution and the use of the word belief is incorrect. Faith is belief in absence of evidence. You either accept evolution or you don't. Whether you accept it or not had nothing to do with its truth. That's the wonder of science, it's true whether you like it or not.

4. @[member="mrs. illadelphin"]

Very well thought out response. Kudos.

5. & suddenly I remember why I do not frequent this forum nowadays ~~~ the moderation has become as sanctimonious as the narrow minded posters who cannot openly discuss anything without turning it into a debate 

it's just the web. no one is talking life or death here

or even being offensive... 

back into obscurity I go. general forum is a yawn. 

6. Which flavor of creationism is supposed to be taught along side the evil evolution?

7. humans didn't evolve free will.

Free will existed before humans.

Anything that can make a choice has free will

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. @[member="yurigadaisukida"]

That is, if you're assuming that we have free will.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. that depends oon how you define free will

Obviously we have free will.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Yes it does depend on a definition.

I would say it is clear that we in fact do not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I'm a middle ground type person on most issues. Never understood why it had to be free will versus determinism and not a mixture of both. If the first piece of fruit you're exposed to is an apple, that's all you'll pick because that's all you know.. but say you're then exposed to a banana, you're now free to pick between the two. Of course there's a lot of subconscious activity that'll go into play when trying to decide. Maybe the color yellow makes more neurons fire, or the shape of the apple is more appealing to your subconscious mind, but for the most part you're free to override the decision. Without free will, we'd not be able to change our minds.. but we also need to be aware that there's a lot of subconscious activity that goes into our decision making.

Back when McDonald's had Monopoly going, my sister and family ate a good bit and they would put the Monopoly pieces on the countertop. I'd walk by and glance at them like how I glance at everything.. but wouldn't really sink in consciously. After a couple of weeks, I was driving home from work and thinking 'what do I want to eat?' and McDonald's popped in my head. I try to not eat much fast food anymore, so after I got it I thought 'wtf, why?' And then I got home and saw those pieces again and was just like 'fuck you brain..' The next day I was thinking of what to eat, and again McDonald's popped in. I was just about to pull in til I remembered and said nope, turned around and went home to make something. After I corrected myself, McDonald's was no longer a choice floating around.. for awhile anyway.

12. The fact that anyone thinks they know the answer is what is ridiculous

~Fev123 GC Forums