Evolution Food For Thought.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Organicdreamin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. #1 Organicdreamin, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
    I'm not sure how many blades on here do believe in evolution ( or rather the idea that evolution created all that we see and know over time ) but I hope my question is answerable by one of you.

As I understand it evolution happened over a very long time and many very small changes that lead us to where we are now. We started as a tiny microorganism and eventually we got to we are now. That being said, how is it that humans developed free will? That seems like a very drastic change. Every other living thing does as it is supposed to. Driven by natural instincts, except us. Has anyone every come across such an explanation?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. The gain of intelligence is still being debated to this day. But some theories are out there, the eating and hunting of protein, the stoned ape theory, and of course the idea that it was just a random mutation that was obviously very beneficial. Or god did it depending on who else comes in this thread. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

3. free will itself is debatable as hell...take a stroll through the philosophy section here and all threads debating on if free will is real or not...free will is a lot like god, its a claim that people make but cannot prove one way or the other...

you ask a spiritual question in guise of science with the evolution part, its a common tactic religious people do to try and discredit science...

4. It is strange IMHO to bring up the debate on if we have free will or not as I sit here reading on my phone. The fact that I am entertaining myself with this phone app as I relax on my front porch gives me enough evidence to believe free will exists. I don't see how anyone could believe otherwise. I will look into the debates now that you have informed me. I would love to read some of opposing ideas and expand my knowledge. What are your thoughts amp?

As to the trick question. You can call it free will or not. It's obvious we are the only things on this planet that get to do what we want. At some point we moved past just surviving and it lead to where we are today. Conversation over a rock sized devise across the country from one another. So since it is a hard thing to scientifically prove, I figured there was some speculation out there somewhere. I have no need to discredit science as it has brought the world tremendous discoveries. It is in everything around us everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 -13 Amp-, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    @[member="Organicdreamin"] everything you just said is opinion...using your phione on a porch doesn't even begin to prove something as deep as free will...

i personally don't know if free will is real, i'd like to think it is, but you can never know for sure...and no we are not the only things on this planet that does what they want...we are just the best at building things...but building things isn't the only way to do what you want...

• Like Like x 2
  6. What makes you believe humans are the only animal with free will? You call them natural instincts, but all instinct is is emotion. There's nothing unique about our brains and bodies other than the complexity in comparison to the animal kingdom. A mother bear fights to the death to save her cub, because she is driven by love.. same as a person is. A deer spots a mountain lion and takes off out of fear, same as most people would. There's countless examples of animals acting outside their status quo, because they're driven by the same exact processes as us, emotions. Ever see a herd of buffalo get attacked by a big cat? The cat picks off a weak one, but if the cat doesn't doesn't kill it quick enough.. its screaming will eventually build up courage in the herd. One works up the courage and says enough is enough and goes on a counter attack, that inspires another and another and soon the whole herd is bearing down on their predator.. usually results in the cat fearing for its safety and flees. Other animals have been shown to be self aware, and other animals have been shown mourning over the death of a loved one. Some flocks of crows perch above a dead member and do unique calls in mourning. Speaking of crows, another neat thing about them is certain populations of crows have been shown to have a general language of communication with all the other flocks, and smaller flocks within having a second language that they use with their closest members..

So really, what drives you to separate yourself, the human animal, from all the other animals? Because you were created in the image of your deity? Or because you haven't really ever taken the time to get to know animals?

Mobile mumbling..

• Like Like x 6
  7. Dolphins kill for fun, and attack porpoise because they're slightly different than them (racism in the animal kingdom)...

they have sex for pleasure, have orgies and gay sex...they eat a certain type of pufferfish to get high for recreation...interact with many many other animals in positive and negative manners...

their actions go WWWAAYYYY past just surviving, they entertain themselves and enjoy promiscuous sex

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 iAmBetty, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    Some animals also fuck animals of other species for fun. That's about as far from simple instinct as it can get.

As soon as I left this app I saw a news story where a panda faked being pregnant so she would get more buns and special treatment from the zookeepers.

We're still very similar to many in the animal kingdom.. Just more complex

9. I've had this conversation with a friend from work. Very interesting... What makes you think we have free will? Isn't everything you do just a natural instinct as well? Not so different from other animals.

Everything you do you do to make it through life... to survive. Do you want to go to that 9-5 of course not. Do you want to take those extra courses, stay for overtime, pick up a part-time on the side?... Sure we can just not give a fuck, try to live like millionaires blow our money vacationing, and buying all the shit we want but that won't last as long as we'd like.

Fact is we don't have as much free will as we think.

10. Dolphins are a great example of the cognitive abilities of animals.. dogs too. I remember seeing a special about them testing the self awareness in dolphins. They put a mirror up to it and the dolphin inspects itself.. watching it, all I could think about was a greaser standing in the mirror, slicking his hair back and thinking 'damn.. I'm sexy..' The dolphin was checking himself out like that.

Working with dogs, you see a lot of it too. My dog did something interesting once. I bought her a raw bone with meat on it, but she wasn't interested in it. Normally she destroys them in a heartbeat.. instead she waited for me to go inside, picked up the bone and took it over to a hole in the fence where her n the neighbor's dog would interact and pushed it over to his side for him to eat. They weren't even really that "close" in terms of dogs, just neighbors who tolerate each other. I've seen dogs play keep away with toys, and when the other one gives trying to get the toy and sulks away, the dog with the toy would go give it to them and reverse the roles so they can keep playing.

Mobile mumbling..

• Like Like x 1
  11.  Darwins book was also released under the name "The Preservation of Favored Races in the struggle for life" does that sound a little racist to anyone? no wonder the Nazis where Darwinist. 
    View attachment 145198

Evolution is just speciation misinterpreted. can someone show an example of evolution that is not speciation?

• Like Like x 1
  12. @[member="Brada Haole"]

Lol...

To try and make a connection to Darwinism and the Nazi's is a conjuring trick of a very dishonest and vulgar sense.

• Like Like x 1
    Lol, yet another person spouting out shit like they know something.. Teach yourself a thing or two and look into "positive Christianity", which was a big part of the Nazi party.

It always seems like it is the Christian's job to spread lies and propaganda:
    http://evolutionwiki.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_work_refers_to_preservation_of_favoured_races

I wonder why they do that when Jesus said lying is a sin.... oh well lol

It's only lying when it's something negative.. but when it's a lie in favor of their religion, it's the truth. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, but then I remember that I'd rather be shot in the head and be brain dead than be brainwashed.

16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvCDu6fdYio

17. If you google the answer it comes up in bold that the human species is 300,000 years old.
    DESPITE many many many many many covered up archeological findings of million year old human ancestors...

there's a lot of intentional miseducation happen. pay attention to physics in this up coming year... quantum thinking will change and render all misconceptions as they are, illusions... 

I like how in the video title, they say they're at Stanford.. yet you can hear a baby occasionally in the video. I don't know.. I wouldn't think that someone (who hosted Ancient Aliens :rolleyes: ) trying to present a legit, educational lecture would have guests/students who'd bring their baby. This is probably something more like the dude just rented a room to hold his lecture and Standford really didn't have shit to do with it. It just adds to the "credibility" when people think it was done through an establishment like Stanford..

That being said, we've known for a long time now that our human ancestors go beyond 300,000 years.. The homo line started to appear about 3 million years ago, and homo erectus almost 2 million years ago. We're really not that much different biologically when compared to homo erectus and all our ancestors in between. Basically, when the homo line appeared, that was when humans appears.. that's what homo stands for. What you are dealing with are modern humans who are self centered and want to believe that modern humans have been around longer for what they actually have been.. which inadvertently ignores our homo/human ancestors from millions of years back.

19. I have read darwins book I own it. Yeah I am wrong Social Darwinism is a term I made up LOL. I guess Eugenics has nothing to do with darwins ideas either. See I use my brain I dont take someones word for it. I researched and the information it is readily available. 

I guess origin was also never released as "The preservation of favored races in the struggle for life" I guess my brainwashed eyes just made that up. please explain to us how the book Origin of species is not a racist book? also please explain where the Nazi 

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]you are brainwashed. you believe every thing that science has taught us forgetting how often science changes. I love science every new discovery is amazing. My favorite part of science right now is the study of [/SIZE]photomorphogenesis in cannabis. what are you studying? How are you exercising your brain for the good of others?[SIZE=14.4444446563721px] I would make sure I place the gun in the proper place I saw a lady shoot her eyes out one time it was awesome!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]just for fun:[/SIZE]

The Darwinian underpinnings of Nazi racial ideology 
    are patently obvious. Hitler's chapter on "Nation and 
    Race" in Mein Kampf discusses the racial struggle for 
    existence in clear Darwinian terms.
     Richard Weikart, Historian, Cal. State, 
    Stanislaus1

20. i dont think darwin was a nazi but to deny that the logic used by the Nazis had nothing to do with darwinism is not honest. Have you read darwins book and hitlers book? genocide for a perfect race is a pretty obvious conclusion. Darwin discusses how we do not raise imperfect livestock we kill the inferior as to have a better herd or people group. That is what the Nazis tried to do they murdered millions for a perfect race. can you please explain your position more? you just make a statement and then walk away with no supporting evidence. 

Why do you believe and have such faith in evolution? I dont because I have done a lot of personal study. every example i can find that is put forth as evidence of evolution can be better explained as speciation.