Why Is Religion A Prison?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Organicdreamin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. I have seen this point of view come up quiet often. I have never felt as if my faith held me back from anything. I am free to do as I please when I please. As to those who feel this way...can I get an explanation please?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Religion is not a prison.

3. I wouldn't necessarily equate all religion to being analogous with prison. However there are many that hold to certain principles that restrict certain activities. As well as condone and punish others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 iAmBetty, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    If the religion has rules, you aren't free to do as you please if you're actively following it.

5. I do not see it as a prison. Who does? I think I could see thier point

Like you said you can freely decide to live a more self determined life. All religions share a common point of indoctrination and in most cases a lifelong deluge of programming, not to mention the social and peer pressure you have to accept in order to conform. Once you are strong enough or have the desire to overcome those you can become freer or less limited in mind and body. 

So does society, then we would all be living in a prison. Are they living inside of a prison in the prison? 

6. Not all of society. People break laws every day, including most of GC.

7. LOL, even the lawless societies have their own rules and normative expectations to conform. Stop while you are behind. 

8. #8 iAmBetty, Aug 25, 2014
    Lawless societies? I'm just talking about individuals doing what they want. I don't murder, rape, or steal because I just don't want to. I'm not a shitty person, and most people aren't either. However, I like to speed, get high, and occasionally take jobs that pay under the table when I want extra cash, among other things.

Unless you live in a shittier area patrolled by cops all the time, or you're an idiot who can't hide it, you can get away with a lot of stuff.

9. #9 ProGMO, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Regardless, we all follow rules. Arguing otherwise is just dumb. Maybe I have just discovered something about you I did not know before? You show to work on time, you slow down when you see a cop, when you take a job under the table you agree not to disclose that fact (a rule set by the guy employing you). Perhaps you are not thinking that religious people are doing what they want by giving up on some of the earthly desires many of us like. All parts of society have rules. You just cherry pick which ones you want to follow, the religious are doing the same as you.

10. NoPot do not take me personally or too seriously. I have a sharp pointing and dark wit. I am evil incarnate, LOL! I tend to light both ends of the candle.

11. #11 iAmBetty, Aug 25, 2014
    Fair enough. I won't automatically criticize the religious for just following their rules, but the reason why they do will probably draw criticism (I probably worded that horribly. I'm feeling a bit brain dead today).

If you're a religious person who agrees with everything in your book 100% and would probably do that stuff anyway, then good for you. There are many others I see and hear from who are struggling with their religion because it tells them to do something they don't want to do, or not to do something they'd like to, but they stick with their religion and continue to struggle with it because it's what they've always been told to do.

Fear of possibly burning in hell for an eternity will keep the weak minded in line

12. Well, you did change my outlook a bit :)

13. #13 ProGMO, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Not sure if you seen the post right above this or not. Damn it I am slow today!

It is easy to make the prison comparison but is it a prison if you put yourself inside willingly and can come and go as you please? It is more like a grow-house with the windows blacked out and the doors locked.

14. Religion is subjective, spirituality is objective..

15. If religion is a prison, so is our evolved general morality.

Why should people be constrained from taking what they want from others? I'm not talking about laws on paper, but the general agreed rules of society that exist universally on this planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. #16 chzdgg, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014

I see where you're coming from. I view the whole "follow the rules or burn for eternity" thing as blackmail or extortion rather than a prison. 

Do X or else X will happen to you.

17. I think that breaking the rules and not doing what we are told is a natural trait in human beings. To me, rules don't mean anything because each and everyone of us has the power to do whatever we wish, that rule written on paper or expressed through language cannot stop that action. The speed limit may say 45, but we all know that we have the power to go past that "limit".

18. Because you allow it to be. 

19. Religion is a prison because you wouldn't be able to get the masses to submit willingly

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. the complacent nature of religions that rely on all answers to come from a book written thousands of years ago remain static, while science is always evolving and relies on the universal language of mathematics to solve problems and gain knowledge of the tentative laws that govern the universe and fundamentally, existence.