Next Dominant Species

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by THEeric, Aug 24, 2014.

1. After the human race has gone extinct, another species will eventually rise into the void and be the dominant species on the planet.  What might that look like?  
    ~~~

My idea is that there will be some animals that develop the ability to photosynthesize.  

2. I guess it depends on how we become extinct.
    Nuclear War= Giant Cockroach
    Asteroid, since the sun would be blacked out by dust I would guess Worm or Mole.

Ice age? Penguins? I like that one the best. So super intellect giant Penguins is my final answer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Penguizilla!!!

4. I do not believe the human race will ever go extinct.

Hopefully we can have other planets isolated from bio-viruses or whatever that we can live on.

5. We'll probably go extinct. The only way not to is if everyone stops dicking around and works together to develope the technology needed to get to and colonize a planet.

6. Wolves as they are a pack animal.

7. I disagree. I think the super elites will do just fine

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Somekind of insects. Ants, cockroaches, other ground style bugs would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Koalas.

Nvm, sloths. I think.

10. Our sun has a limited lifespan so they do to, unless they change back to their reptilian form ;)

11. Well if humans are the only primate that goes extinct, another one will probably move up in the ranks long before a new line emerges.. if its all primates, even a good many mammals in general, I'd go with some sort of bird.

Mobile mumbling..

12. And the meek shall inherit the earth. If we nuke the F outta this planet all that will be left is ants and cockroaches.

13. I smell what yer steppin in...

14. Will insects begin to grow larger with less (or none) natural predators?  
    ~~~

Personally I'd love to see bird ish things flying around photosynthesizing.  Able to fly above the clouds to photosynthesize on cloudy days, and migrating to follow the summers.  

15. ManBearPig..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh my gawd you can't be cereal? Are you cereal???

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  17. As far as I know, insect size is mostly effected by O2 levels. They were big millions of years ago because there was a lot more oxygen, and they don't breathe like us.. rather absorb it through their body. So if some event happened where O2 levels increased after man is gone, we could get some big insects on Earth.

For animals and photosynthesis though, I think life would need to be 99.9% wiped off of Earth to start again. When life first appeared on Earth, it really only had light to feed off of. That was its niche, but inadvertently opened up another food source, itself. Life evolved to feed off of light, then evolved to feed off of life. So some kind of intervention would probably be needed, or man could push forward with technology and create a way to incorporate into life. Been watching Knights of Sidonia?

Mobile mumbling..

Never heard of it... Is it good? 

19. If you like anime. Mankind in the future ages after Earth, fighting giant space monsters, but they are able to photosynthesis part way rather than always eating food.

Mobile mumbling..