Dwc Root Issues

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Guerilla King, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Are there any draw backs from growing in titanium? Is it better than the plastic buckets? I don't mind putting the money in if it's going to save a headache down the road.

You could use it to add air to the water if you had one. I wouldn't use a metal pot as a res myself

It's extremely expensive. Titanium is used in some pumps and equipment like chillers. In a reservoir it would offer no advantages over plastic

4. Ok guess I'll stick to buckets and tubs. My pump comes Thursday so hopefully it will solve the problem. Fingers crosses

5. #45 GoldGrower, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    Let the waterline drop a bit allowing some of the roots to get a bit of air, that may help a bit for now 

6. Ever considered using bennies? Check out the thread about it created by Heisenberg! Its stickied to the hydroponic DWC forum. Trust me brother when I say it works if you have the disease and it works at preventing it and most importantly it makes the roots explode in growth! The way I fixed my slime problem which made me give up on DWC for a week is the following:
    I increased the amount of air going in my res by purchasing a heavy duty 105 watt pump for a 10 gal res.
    In a separate bucket I added 2 gallons of water, half a scoop of great white, a handful of wiggle worm EWC in a sock and a table spoon of molasses. Add airstons and let it bubble for 48 hours. The tea should smell earthy or anything but gross. If it smells like sweaty hockey equipment or a gym or dirty sock then start over. Otherwise if you have the disease:
    you add a cup of bennies per gallon of res as an initial inoculation. Then 1 cup per 10 gal every 3rd day.
    If you don't have the disease and just using the tea for prevention or after treating your res you want to keep the bennies for preventing use 1 cup per 10 gal of res every 3rd day. And watch your plant recover.
    After the 48h of brewing the tea, you can store the rest of the tea in an open container in the fridge. Don't freeze and don't cover the tea in the fridge.
    When you inoculate you res initially make sure you drop the nutes until you eradicate the problem then slowly reintroduce the nutes. Don't use enzyme products in the res if you have the disease. They feed the slime.
    Also keep in mind the bennies love a res temp in the low to mid 70s!!!!!! They have the best fighting capacity at those temps

7. Sorry I just realized the Heisenberg tea thread is on RIU! Anyway follow the instructions and you will not regret

8. That's what I did. I guess we will see how she looks in the morning. That's when the sludge really builds back up. 

I have thought about bennies. I don't have worm castings anymore so I would have to order it. I have Great White ordered. I need to get molasses as well. 

Great White = enzyme ? 

I have my pump coming and if it fixes the problem then I can wait on the order for ewc. I need about 3 weeks so I can get my bills taken care of before I can sink anymore in the room. I probably will start using bennies regularly but I'm wondering what are the downfalls. Besides over aerating it, is there anything else? 

9. Awesome. BTW you don't absolutely need the EWC. You can brew with the great white alone (and that's what I do). The idea of adding the EWC or ancient forest in the sock is just to increase the diversity. Diversity means better fighting power. However, brewing GW alone right now is better than waiting. Also I used to add bennies straight to the res without brewing. However I noticed I get better results when I first brew Tue bennies. Brewing the bennies activates them and when you add them to an infected res, they're ready to work. On the other hand , adding the GW alone to the res may:1- work without problems, or 2- cause problems feeding the active disease (since GW has some food in it to feed and activate the bennies which will also feed the already active bad organisms in your system).
    GW is an awesome product that has many many many bacteria and fungi in it! The activated organisms in your brew will make the enzymes. Adding enzymes alone (based on my experience and that of others) will worsen the slime problem in your res. The enzymes break down the bead roots and turn them into nutrients that will feed your slime. The tea will show you great results.
    The tea may cause your roots to be covered with a dark biofilm. Don't confuse that with slime. Just keep an eye for new white roots forming and for the growth above!!!!!!! Dude any questions, feel free to ask me. I hate slime and its frustrating and I'd hate to see a fellow grower go through what I went through

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Also brewing for 48 hours is important. The population of your tea will be different at 24 hours (mainly bacteria) than at 48 hours (bacteria and fungi). There's a type of fungus (trichoderma) that's present in GW and you absolutely want that to be activated. It literally attachs itself to pythium and kills it!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Sounds good. I'm going to try it. GW should be here when my pump is so hopefully it will help.  got 6 hours to see if lowering the water and shrinking the container helped anything. 

I used to do compost tea for my soil plants. I understand the uses of it just haven't used in hydro. It seems sound and def worth a shot. I'll order ewc soon. In the mean time I'll just use the gw when it gets here.

Thanks for all the help. I literally wouldn't know what to do without you guys

12. Awesome. Good luck bro and please keep us posted. We learn from what you go through (if ya keep us posted) as much as you learn from your trial and error!
    BTW if ya haven't ordered the EWC, ancient forest is supposed to be superior when it comes to the diversity of its micro herd!

13. So an update on my root issue.... IT'S GONE! I added my pump and shark white (not aereated) and set some shark white aside in my bathroom to areate. After one day I could see rapid new root growth. So white it's blinding. I will never run a hydro set up with out it. My bigger plant is drinking a gallon a day and is still in preflower. I'll post pics of my new roots if anyone wants. Also posting in my journal if your following.

Thanks for all the help!

14. #55 Guerilla King, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    I added a huge pump and got great white (was planning on getting it anyway). My problem is gone. Don't know which one solved it. According to your link it was the air that fixed it as we determined earlier. Roots are growing crazy white and drinking like crazy!

15. Glad things are on track!!!

16. Buying an additional air pump and running it isn't exactly free, but I certainly agree that's it's the best way to go. Temperature of course is another big one but for most people when the plants have filled out the area and thus shading the reservoir it becomes less of an issue

Hi Guerilla, 

Controlling oxygen in your hydroponic system is the entire key to growing hydroponically, it's what makes it possible to used these grow methods.   Great White is great stuff.  I would suggest using generic brand beneficials rather than the expensive name brand stuff, just to save money, and I would only suggest using them after you've got your hydro system functioning on all cylinders first.   Using products like these as band-aids will only buy you time.  The inevitable will happen if you don't get your oxygen issues under control.   It's actually rather simple and inexpensive to do, you just have to know what to do!    Great job on getting your problem  fixed.  Keep it up!

Cheers,
    Past

18. Sorry for posting this in here but I was unable to start a thread. To keep sativas short In smaller indoor grows, many soul growers will put them in a small pot to root bind. With a hydroponic, let's say ebb and flow, if you covered the net pots with screen that the water but not roots could penetrate, would this be an effective form of size control?