Perc Vs Straight Tube With Ashcatcher

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by brainfucked, Aug 22, 2014.

1. whats the difference between getting a perc over a straight tube with an ashcatcher

2. I'm actually in this same dilemma if you can call it that haha. I was just about to order my bong and ashcatcher but then I saw a pretty nice perc'd bong for the same price as the bong and ashcatcher. You pretty much have the same percolation with both pieces I think. The positive of getting an ashcatcher would be that your piece would stay cleaner, but at the same time there's a higher chance of the ashcatcher breaking. Positives of getting a perc'd bong would be that you have everything all in one, but it gets dirtier and is harder to clean. I guess it's really just personal preference, but I think I'm going with the bong and ashcatcher just because I'll hardly have to clean the bong and I can take the ashcatcher in or out for wherever I'm at(like if I'm on the go I wouldn't take the ashcatcher cause there's a pretty good chance it'll break if friends are being stupid). Plus I heard from a friend that perc'd bongs are annoying as shit to clean

3. I also think its harder to choose a perc its much easier to pick a straight tube I think. what bong and ashcatcher are you buying?

4. Straight with ash catcher is so much easier to clean and to be honest I can hardly tell a difference between a diffused downstem only and perced bongs. Unless you have some bubble stacking monster perc I think they're pointless for smoking buds. What really matters for a smoother hit is the height of the bong.

5. I can tell a huge difference with percs. For instance, tree percs are out of date and draggy as hell. Most of the time only a fraction of the slits(huh huh, slits) on the arms will fire. Take something like a fritted disc or honeycomb and you're getting much more percolation. There is a huge difference. When it comes to having just the ash catcher and tube or perc I'd say it depends on how much you want to move the thing around. If it's just gonna be an at home piece go ahead and get the perc, if you're gonna travel with it get the ash catcher. word to the muthufukkin streets.

6. The height of the bong has little to no relevancy to smothness, I've hit 3 ft bongs and I've hit 1 foot bongs, height just seems to make things harder to clear where as I know for a fact that percolators make hits MUCH smoother. If I'm wrong explain why people focus on percolation so much and not everyone goes out and buys a 5 foot monster

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Its all in preference, I like percs but generally no more then 1, hate trees since they tend to be draggy.  Love my straight tube, thing rips like a beast.

8. A medicali tube and matching showerhead ash catcher.  It was really dope but now I'm not sure if I'm getting it any more because my parents basically changed their minds on me smoking.   They used to not really give a shit but now they're really sketched about everything i do and if i get caught again they might even kick me out.  I'll probably just wait a year for college to get a bong because they'd probably find it

9. Ashcatchers are just another thing to clean. I have one and never use it- opt for a carbon filter 100% of the time. Not all percs are difficult to clean. My Sov g-line is only slightly harder to clean than my Roor, and because there's fewer pieces to clean, the job is often done in less time. However, if you don't have a filter of some kind, they suck to clean.

10. #10 Grow2dab., Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Ash catcher to keep it clean, perc to cool the smoke.

I just got a new ash catcher with no downstem, air pressure sucks the ash straight into the water. Works awesome an literally takes 3 seconds to clean.

11. The lungs can only take so much. 18-24 is the best height for a bong. Of course something tall as fuck would be hard to milk and clear. The height allows the smoke some time to cool before you clear it. Think about how hot smoke is from a short pipe

12. I'm looking for a taller piece around 18-24. Like the straight tubes with honeycombs but I think beakers give a stronger, gluggier hit. See a lot of beakers with tree percs and I hate tree percs. Any good beaker style percs out there without drag? Thinking maybe a honeycomb ash catcher with a diffused down stem...like a 29mm

13. I just got a straight tube with a diffused ash catcher, diffused downstem, showerhead, and splash gaurd. Ice catch too that I'll never use. The ash catcher keeps my bong so much cleaner. And is another nice water filter for more cooling. Just make sure if you do get an ash catcher...get one with a separate bowl piece. Mine has the bowl built in and is impossible to clear. Making the next rip have a nasty stale taste. Getting a new one asap. Also I hear that beakers milk way better. And my bong is 19 inches, def take all my lung capacity sometimes haha. I think that covers everything.

Get an ash catcher and a perc!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Tree percs definitely aren't outdated ahahahah.  Gridded tree are dope,  and some of the best hitting tubes out there still have trees like the stem8,  4-8.  Hell even the slitted trees hit better than most other designs.  The quality matters more than the perc tbh,  they each have their own unique rip so pick what you like.