Does Mylar Increase Heat In The Tent?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by PP117, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Since materials like mylar reflect radiant heat, and if the tent is covered on all sides with mylar, do you think that has a big effect on the heat inside the system?

If I remove mylar from 2 of my walls (there's just wood behind it), do you think that would help lower the heat in the tent?

I have a lot of ventilation (8" fan) for my small 7'x3' tent, so I'm surprised I'm still having heat issues.

2. See the heat reduction and beginners luck thread. You will need to extract the heat. I would recommend you consider just painting the walls white. A few searches and you will find the exact type of paint to use.

It reflects the light and does not retain the heat. The tent traps the air, it needs to be extracted. A good extraction system and you will not need a fan other than to strengthen your branches. The passive flow of air is perfect if you funnel the hot air away. recirculating the hot air defeats the purpose.

The inside ambient temperature increase without good ventilation and circulating the hot air out of the tent. the tents become a sauna without ventilation, watering your plants makes the humidity rise, the air temps in turn raise, the plants cannot absorb the moisture fat enough to dissipate the heat. All kind of yuk would be going on.

3. Thanks bro! I actually saw that thread title in a search, but it looked like it only had 1 reply, so I overlooked it. I'll go read that now.

Behind the Mylar I already have high titanium flat white paint, which was for the purpose of reflecting light to the plants. I thought maybe the Mylar would reflect more light, but if it ends up causing the plants heat stress, then I guess I should just remove it.

4. I should have put, Big boobs inside. I notice a lot of threads have people asking for attention if no one replies after 30 minutes. LL! I was just showing what a friend did. His technique reduces internal temps by 10 degrees. cool air in, out air out. I hope it helps a little.

5. #5 Atmo, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    You don't need to remove the Mylar, just have good ventilation/cool air going in/etc

6. I ended up replacing the mylar with Orca Film, and it dropped the temp by 10 degrees F. Now, instead of the tent being 15 degrees above outside room temp like it was before, it's only 5 degrees above.

7. Well done, grow well!