1St Grow, 2X2X5.7 Tent, 5 Gal Dwc, Mars 2 400.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Minnesotafresh89, Aug 22, 2014.

I use an adjustable hole cutter in a drill. They are only a couple of bucks off eBay 

[​IMG]

2. Your light shouldn't heat up the reservoir. HPS heat them because they give off a lot of infrared radiation, but LEDs gives off little to no infrared. Any heat will be coming from the vents of the lamp and although may heat up the air in the tent, it really shouldn't make much difference to the res. 

What is the temperature of the res? Mine is just under 70℉ and I don't bother with adding ice. It might be worth buying one of those aquarium thermometers with the remote probe. They are usually about £2 on eBay and would be easier to keep an eye on 

3. idk dab sounds like twice the work lol.

they would be healthier though with all that room to themselves i agree.

4. thanks gold, those things are just what im lookin for, gonna be ordering that and a new tote, i could not for the life of me find a 5 gallon tote anywhere, checked 5 places.

got a digital therm, much easier. put my stand fan in the closet now, door shut, and tent open to let air move like snoop said haha.

idk the one that had its ear chewed off looks a little worse to me, not sure.

Attached Files:

5. gold to answer your question about the pump i looked it up and its a tetra whisper 20, rated for 20 gallon aquariums i guess. i couldnt find exactly how many lpm though.

6. so i kinda see why ppl dont like rockwool, do i want water always touchin the net cups?

7. Lol I think its cause I have super cheap kind idk.

Thanks bro, your grows looking nice! Getting close.

8. If it were me I'd have cut or torn them carefully out of that rockwool by now. It's not for me.

Are your roots growing?

If they are cover them cubes up with more hydroton.

20gph is pretty weak.

How many watts is the pump? Should be stamped into it somewhere.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

9. 2.5 watts. It seems they are growing to me. More are popping out the bottom.

Yeah It seems RW drys out fairly quickly to me. Hence my question about water level lol

10. Probably my dropping humidity though.

11. Fish can live happily with a lot less oxygen than plants so if it's ok for a 20 gallon aquarium it means nothing at all when it comes to keeping roots under water. 

The wattage will give a rough indication. Very roughly 1 litre per minute for every watt used, but it varied between brands and designs. The pumps I use are 8 watts and push out 10 litres per minute, these are good for reservoirs up to about 20 litres.

I hate rockwool, keeping it the optimum moisture level is extremely hard. Once roots have grown in to the clay balls it will be better. Clay balls allow the roots to get way more air. 

I find having the waterline just above the bottom of the net pot works well. The air pump drives humid air up through the balls keeping them damp enough for roots to thrive. Rockwool complicates this though as it can become waterlogged so easily. Equally it can quickly dry out without realising

12. Nailed it for me gold, it seems they go from dry to wet with just a slight change. I keep trying to estimate if its cool & moist enough. sprayed them a couple times, in attempts to help the pretty one get that shell off lol. I think a ton of roots are into the clay now so I'm excited to see them excel hopefully, just gotta optimize my conditions.

13. #55 Minnesotafresh89, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    mods i realize i am a douche for not posting this in journals.
    my apologies.

14. heres an update guys,
    was out a bit today and kind of been more often so havent kept an eye as much. got a another tote today though, same one in fact. now i atleast can set them down somewhere when i need to change water again.

still a bit early for nutes right gents? they are both yellowing kinda hard. alot of discoloration on the injured one. but in the middle i see a little bit of new green growth, so hopefully it wont die.
    put more hydroton on the rockwool to block out more light and to keep the RW from drying out like crackers lol, topped off because because water level was dropping & rockwool felt dry to the touch
    ph is at 5.7 from 5.4 last night. ive been rotating frozen bottles,not as often as i should be. pics of the dips in temps.

Attached Files:

15. #57 Grow2dab., Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  16. You could give them a very light feed. Its hard to say but growth appears to be very slow.

Your water temp is fine there. I wouldn't want it much warmer than that though.

Oh... Does that have an led on it? You'll want it covered come flowering time.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

17. It has an LCD display but it doesn't light up, its cheap lol. So instead of buying nutes, I'm using the Lil bag it came with first, nothin brand name, just want to see how they fair. Oh man im scared to overfeed! Lol

18. My feed says "mix 1 tsp per 1 gal h20" what would be safe here? I know obvi not that haha.