Whats Your Routine/plan Look Like?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by jollygoodchap, Aug 22, 2014.

1. #1 jollygoodchap, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    Post what you're up to in your fitness plan! I'm curious to see what's out there, especially what stoner ladies might be working on!

For me:
    I'm a super beginner to the gym. My previous experience with fitness has been limited to running and yoga and now I'm lookin to build some muscle. I've done a lot of research but it's hard to find free and accurate information out there. I've been using a bodybuilding.com plan for a few days now and I like it so far. but some nasty old gym dude was condescending to me today about how I shouldn't use a website/app and that I'm not using enough weight and the movements I was doing won't get me results. I hate that he's probably right, but it totally ruined my mood and now I'm worried I've just been wasting my time. Plus, I'm a little lady! 5 feet tall with a petit frame, and I've hurt myself before trying to stack on the weights so I've been very cautious and kept my weights light this first week.

Maybe I'm being too self conscious? I'm using the lee labrada 12 week lean body program on bodybuilding.com. Has anyone else used this or other plans from bodybuilding.com? Or maybe does anyone have any better resources to learn about better, more efficient movements? Anything helps!

2. Honestly unless you are able to find a good personal trainer to teach you the fundamentals of basic lifting I would suggest joining the BB.com forums. There is a section for women where you could post videos of yourself squatting, deadlfiting, etc. so others can critique your form and offer advice. I haven't been on the BB forums in years but from what I remember, the section for women was heavily monitored to keep the trolls out. :)

3. BB forums is legit. Its impossible to escape the trolls on any section there but the knowledge some people drop on you is worth putting up with the trolls

4. From what I've learned in my fitness journey I can safely say aim to always learn and don't take more than $0.02 from a person (unless they are helping you in person and qualified for the job).

I agree with browsing bodybuilding.com, finding people on YouTube you enjoy watching, http://scoobysworkshop.com (free, and he has tons of YouTube videos).

I'm not a girl, but what has worked best for me is following one plan for a good amount of time. One focusing on multi-joint movement (compound exercises like a squat, deadlift, bench press, standing overhead press) and staying consistent. People love to say vary your workout for the best results, but if you don't have any results in the first place you aren't going anywhere!

So with that in mind my workouts are generally this now.

Workout 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
    Workout 2: Back, Biceps, and Traps
    Workout 3: Legs
    Abs actively engaged with most exercises, but I do throw in some ab specific work.

I usually have a day of rest in between workouts, or every few workouts. I try listening to my body. Since I am incorporating more cardio back into my regimen I will probably only hit the weights 3 times a week. I'm not worried because this way I work on more than just one type of muscle fiber. I don't plan to lose much size, heck my weight is still going up.

TL;DR
    Compound lifts, focus on form
    Eat big to get big
    Listen to everyone's advice, but don't use all of it (be smart, listen to your body)

5. #5 Blazin In Ohio, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    ive recently gotten into bodybuilding and weight lifting myself. It can be pretty over whelming when you first start out due to all the different information out there. What i did was watch alot of youtube videos by people like Lee Hayward, Chris jones of Physiques of Greatness and Elliot Hulse. By watching there videos you can get a good idea of what exercises you can do and how many set's/reps to do. I just made up a routine myself last week and just started on Monday of this week. I was able to come up with the routine from all the information i learned from watching the youtuber's mentioned above. This is what my routine looks like.

Monday- Chest/Shoulders
    (Chest)
    - Bench Press 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    -Dumbbell Flys 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    - Pullovers 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -pushups 4 sets to failure
    (shoulders)
    -standing dumbbell shoulder press 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -dumbbell side lateral raises 4 sets 8-12reps
    -Hammer shoulder raises 4 sets 8-12 reps
    - Reverse Flys 4 sets 8-12 reps

Tuesday- Bicep's/Tricep's
    (Biceps)
    -standing Dumbell Bicep curls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -hammer Bicep Curls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -reverse curls with EZ Bar 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -seated isolation dumbell curls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    (Triceps)
    -Close grip bench press 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -tricep extensions 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -tricep pushdowns 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -skull crushers 4 sets 8-12 reps

Wednesday- Rest day

Thursday- Legs/Abs
    (Legs)
    -squats 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -calf raises 4 sets 8-12reps
    -Lunges 4 sets 8-12 reps
    (Abs)
    -V style crunches 3 sets 15-25 reps
    -swiss ball crunches 3 sets 15-25 reps

Friday- Back/Traps/Forearms
    (back)
    -Lat pull downs 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -Dumbell rows 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -Rack Pulls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -front Rows 4 sets 8-12 reps
    (Traps)
    -Dumbell shrugs 4 sets 8-12 reps
    -Barbell shrugs  4 sets 8-12reps
    (Forearms)
    -Forearm curls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    - reverse forearm curls 4 sets 8-12 reps

I use 30 second rest periods between each set to make sure im getting a good pump in. currently Im using bodybuilding rep ranges instead of powerlifting rep ranges as im more focused on building muscle not strength. This should give you a good idea of how you can set up your weight training schedule. 

6. You should've just told him to **** off lol.

Do a linear periodization program such as SS.

Honestly, if you're a girl and want to get into shape, I'd just have her do squats with HIIT/steady-state cardio, with minimal (1x) upper days.

Bro split! Sort of haha.

This isn't a bad idea from what I know, but starting out you really don't need that much isolation exercise. How much time are you in the gym?

8. #8 Blazin In Ohio, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    i spend atleast an hour in the gym on my workout days. Also i agree this is a pretty extensive workout for beginners, but i want to maximize my muscle gains, and i feel like as long as i use correct form and dont use weight thats to heavy for me that this plan should workout just fine. The Worst part is the first 2 weeks, once you get through that beginning stage of soreness your muscles get more used to the stimulation and dont get near as sore. currently on my rest day this week and my upperbody is pretty sore today, not looking forward to leg day as i know my legs are gonna be killing me the next 2 days afterwards lol.

I was using  a 3 day a week workout plan prior to this for about 3 months, but i ended up injuring a muscle in my side. So i took a break and let my side heal up, and in my off time i came up with this plan. Hopefully this routine treats me well and i see some gains.

9. I hope it works for you too! Nothing fits everybody in fitness. Plus what's worse... a plan with a little more isolation exercise that's super fun and motivating, or a "perfect" plan that sucks and doesn't motivate you. Definitely the second one.

I just like hearing/seeing people in the gym type atmosphere.

10. Thanks! Ya I'm glad I got into weight training, it's fun pushing yourself and getting stronger. Hopefully I can stick with it for a long time and get the results that I want.

11. Full body 2-4 times a week depending on my recovery.
    Sprints or Jump rope on my off days 2-3 times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum