1800 Watt Vertical Grow Hydro/soil

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Guerilla King, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Welcome to my indoor journal.
    \nRight now I am in the process of rebuilding my room and adding more equipment. Sorry for the mess and incompleteness. 
    \nI have three strains running right now and finishing up at different times. I was setting up a perpetual with my one 600 watt but decided to go bigger so perpetual is not needed. Big tree grows after this cycle for now on. 
    \nAurora Indica (Nirvana), Northern Lights Auto (Nirvana), and some really good bag seed I had.(let's call it mystery strain) Most of them have been vegged for 1 1/2 months. I transplanted from soil on week 4 of veg and put them in the flower room for 2 weeks (dimmed to 450). The AI suffered from real bad nute burn from some chicken shit that I thought was ok in. Apparently it wasn't and was the biggest reason I changed to hydro. More control and faster growth.
    \nAll the Autos and Mysterys are in soil and all my AI are in hydro buckets.
    \nThis is my first time growing hydro and I'm not having any issues at all. They are all exploding in size and all my levels are perfect. I had an issue with algae after two days of starting and I did some research and found that you can lower the water temp and it will go away. Sure enough it did. I now keep 12 frozen bottles in my freezer at all times.
    \nI'm interested in what else besides Flora Nova and cal/mag should I add. I've seen a lot of controversy over it but would like more direct opinions and why. 
    \nSetup
    1800 watt hps (3 600 watts)
    5 gallon buckets with 2 heavy duty air stones. 
    150-300 gallon air pumps
    -Ordering black tubing soon
    mylar on back wall (emergency blankets)
    FloraNova grow and bloom
    Cal/mag
    Ph down
    Advance Nutrients Sensizym
    Hydroton
    5" net pots (i have two in 3")
    Frozen water bottles changed every two hours to help with water temperature  
    \n\nChanges
    Adding 2 400 watt hps and one 600 watt hps
    no more soil after this cycle (thank God!)
    Building a room inside a room so I can potentially add co2 
    walls covered with white painter's canvas (unless someone has a better idea to cover a stud wall)
    will be adding more nutrients- advise needed
    reflective material for floor- ideas?
    \nI have a good bit of experience in outdoor growing, even though my current one doesn't show it :/ (a mix of bad locations and mother nature. Always next year) I have helped a lot of people with indoor grows but don't have too much experience for full grows. I have 3 under my belt and coming on my 4th and 5th. I top and train my plants and have been trying vertical scrogs. I'm always looking for advise because this is a subject you never can completely master. If you have negative comments please do everyone a favor and don't post here. Absolutely no negativity in my threads! If I have left anything out all you have to do is ask. Sorry for the length just figured necessary. I will give y'all a little taste of what's happening. Will add better pics tomorrow when lights start to come on.
    \nI posted this in the wrong section so I decided to move it over to the journals. 
    \nGK

Attached Files:

2. Is that shot of those roots recent? Is it the nutrient solution staining them that dark brown?

1000 watt Scrog Journal

3. What kind of water are you using?

I thought it was tap from the other post.

Anyhow if you are using tap water the calmag nutrient is usually unnecessary.

Tap water contains sufficient amounts of these already.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

4. Yeah the nutrient solution was browning them pretty bad. I'm in the process of wrapping my buckets in mylar so the light doesn't penetrate the white buckets. past couple days I've had an algae problem with two plants. Going to see if I can get that fixed up. 

5. I usually only add about 5 ml for the whole res. I don't use much in hydro. I use it mostly in my soil plants. FloraNova is supposed to have calcium and magnum as well.  Tap water is what I'm dealing with until I get a RO

6. I've pulled two males today :/ I'm going to be taking more pictures soon. I took two clones. Not sure if they will survive or not. Never been good at cloning. 

7. #7 Guerilla King, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
    First  pic is what my tank is looking like after a few days. wrapping them right now to see if that elevates the problem.

Second pic is what's left of the root system after getting the algae off. I rinsed it very gently but it looks like it was killing it. I had roots floating around in the water! Might be a fungus? Changed buckets and bleaching that one right now

Third pic is the one that was infected in her new bucket

four and fifth are pics of the other plant that started to show signs of algae/fungus 
    Cleaned her roots real good and made sure no algae was still intact. Changed bucket as well.

Sorry pics are sideways. I'll figure out how to fix it eventually.

Attached Files:

8. Can you post more close up pics of leaves and stuff? I think your roots have a serious problem, they should be much lighter in color. I would like to see how this is affecting the leaves of the plant because I started having leaf issues and I think it might have been related to root problems.

9. My leave look fine but I'll post some pics. the plants haven't stopped growing or even slowed down one bit. 

Attached Files:

10. Ok. Now I've got problems. My root system on almost all of my buckets are covered in green/brown algae. It might be a fungus. I have covered all the light sources and i'm still getting it. 

Here are pics of one plant that I just rinsed off looked like before.

It seems like it's happening over night. The PH was 5.5 going to bed and when lights turned on it was back up to 7.2. The only thing that has changed is my PH brand. It's cheap and doesn't seem to level out. Could this be the problem? I wouldn't think so but nothing else has changed. (well besides going to bloom nutes instead of grow)

Attached Files:

11. could it possibly be root rot? I put some h2o2 in the tanks through the netpot. 

12. Holy... thats is root rot in its infinite form... thats so much root rot your making root rot question if its root rot...

Whats the temperature of your water running at?

13. temp wasn't the issue it was the amount of air I was putting into it. Gold Grower helpped me figure it out and this is the first day that the sludge has been gone. Going to do great white in my tanks and thinking about bennies. 

Yeah dude, I was trying to tell the roots it was root rot but they just didn't seem to hear me with all the sludge in their ears.

14. Was you putting too less air into your reservoir?

15. Id go with bennies i use great white. Its a top product.

16. Yeah I've heard amazing things about great white. I have to wait for a couple weeks before I can get ewc. I used to have a worm bin but doin my outside I used up all my worms and castings :/ 

I was told that I should aerate the GW for 48h and then put in the tank. I'm going to do that until I get more money to start the bennies. It's a great idea and anything to make sure I don't end up with a disease problem again. Everything was going smoothly so I hope that it will allow me to continue on my smooth growin.

17. I can use any kinda of ewc right? I heard about ancient forest but I usually buy all my stuff of ebay. It's not on there, at least the various of keywords I typed in didn't bring it up.

18. SUBSCRIBED!  This will be very educational for me.  I decided not to do a vert this time around.  I am thinking of doing a mini 400 watt NFT vertical after this harvest.  Is this a bad idea?  Should I do DWC my first go at hydro? 

19. IMO vertical is the way to go. It just seems easier to get rid of heat and you get to light all of the plant. I think every person thinking about hydro should have their taste of dwc. I love it. Besides my little root problem that i'm fixing, it's easier than soil. You have to feel your soil or lift the pot to see if it needs water. Hydro just lift the lid. You can tell what's going on with every part of the plant and control every aspect of it's life. 

For the simple fact that cloning has never been easier in a bubble is good enough reason to change right there. I've never been able to get a soil cutting to take but I took 4 clones off 2 plants stuck them in a net pot with water and air and they never even thought about droopin.

Would love to see your setup. Do you have a journal? 

Planning on taking more pics when a couple lights start to turn off.