Rooting Clones The Easy Way

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GoldGrower, Aug 22, 2014.

1. #81 crankz, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    I should expand upon that...
    The foggers can be found ridiculously cheap on eBay. But some are junk.
    And, ones that don't have Teflon coated disk, will get salt buildup and quit working. Maybe yours could live again?
    They also need to have a low water sensor, to keep from burning up the transducer in the event of, well, low water... lol

Edit: I'm experimenting. It seems to be working. In no way am I trying to convert anyone to fog.
    GG's method is tried and true. Milage may vary.

That's loads cheaper than mine. I bought mine a few years ago though. It worked great at the start and was really pleased. It was meant as a room humidifier I think. I couldn't find a float for it so I placed it in a net pot and pushed that in to a ring of polystyrene. I'm tempted to have another go one day. But my bucket cloner has given me 100% success so far so there's not much pushing me to try anything else 

3. #83 crankz, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Indeed, no need fixing something that's not broken.
    Me, I can't leave things well enough alone! lol

4. This was my fogger cloner attempt, I said it lasted a week earlier but I now think it was about 2 days lol. I used the distilled water from my dehumidifier so I doubt the disk got blocked. It may have been the power converter that died, I never checked

5. I love homemade systems. Do you guys notice if they root faster using a mist as opposed to droplets?

Also, I see a lot of people don't clip the fan leaves on their clones. Is there not that big of a difference for ya?

6. I can't say that one way is any faster than the other. Could pry do just fine sticking a cutting in a glass of water for a week or two, like my grandma would do with roses.
    The plants genetics, health, and vigor pry plays more into rooting time than anything.
    As for trimming fan leaves, I only do it if they're obnoxious and in the way.
    The cuttings have access to plenty of water, so I don't worry about a dome or transpiration rates.

7. #87 GoldGrower, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    I used to cut some of the leaves down when cloning in peat pucks because it would slow down transpiration so the pucks didn't dry up so quick. They had to be kept at the right moisture level so needed daily checks.

But doing it in hydro/aero they have all the water they need so cutting leaves isn't necessary. Unless they are in the way of the neoprene disk or whatever is holding the stem. 

8. #88 tallglassesofmilk, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Awesome thread/tutorial, going to build a bucket style cloner like the first page shows soon. Thanks for your help man!

9. Hello GG, how are you recently?  not here for a few days, wish you guys everything is great, happy growing.

Awesome man, please put up a photo on here when you have finished it 

Hey Sara, I'm good thanks, how have you been? 

11. Here she is, GG. Working great! I started to see nubs of roots on all of the cuttings at 7-8 days. Going to let them go another week before transplanting into soil. Just using plain well water and EZ Clone Clear-Rez in the reservoir. Good enough for me! :D thanks again, m8!

Will take pics of the tiny roots later when lights come back on. :metal:

Attached Files:

12. You still want to be mindful of light-proofing these bucket cloners.
    It's just like any other res. 

That looks awesome mate, nice job 

14. Gold,
    Would you mind if i permanently stickied this thread in my journal? I believe this tutorial can help a lot of people. :)
    ~ poke

I'd love that mate. I'd be honoured

16. As will i mate. Ill add this thread today :metal:

17. #97 GoldGrower, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
    I just now cut 3 blue cheese and 3 tangerine dream clones. I used a few drops of clonex rooting hormone in the water, and added some ionic grow nutes to a ppm of 200. This little bucket has had so much use. Easily over 100 clones have been rooted with no failures at all. Rooting times vary a lot between strains but they all root eventually

[​IMG]

18. And 7 days later we have a few little roots sprouting. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Awesomeness! 
    I got crazy fast root development on my last batch. I'm thinking GH rapid start played a part in that. 
    Regardless of methods, I just think it's the coolest thing ever just to be able to clone.

20. #100 donothinggardening, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
    Got some mid flower golden goat clones to root.. this thing rocks!

Attached Files: