Rooting Clones The Easy Way

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GoldGrower, Aug 22, 2014.

1. #21 rain dancer, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Best cloner Ive ever seen. Going to see if I can make something similar.

Instead of that pump though im lookin at a pump for a swamp cooler. Should work the same. Ill let you guys know if i frankestein something.

P.s. i been thinkin about this cloner for days. STayed up for hours last night finding cheap parts n junk, thanks to you @[member="GoldGrower"]

2. Awesome man, please put up some photos of it in this thread once it's completed, I'd love to see other variations and efforts

3. Im serious anyone who will listen ive been talking their ear off about your simple cloner.

Everyone is like shoo fly haha, im just mind boggled about how genius, yet friggin simple it is. Kudos to you man!

4. So what about adding rooting powder or liquid to the stem? Kind of curious how this works. Wouldnt the rooting stuff just wash off?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. In my opinion I would say there is no point. I have used this around 6-8 times now and never had any fatalities. Rooting hormone may shave a day or two off but when you consider the 3 months of growing time, what's a couple of days? Or you could just cut them a couple of days earlier lol.

As you said it would probably wash off, but it would stay in the water and get continually sprayed with it. Or maybe you could fill a shot glass and leave the cuts in there for a few hours before putting it in to the cloner.

I have heard that a few chunks of willow branch in the water helps with rooting. But as I said, I have never had one not root so I don't see the point myself

6. I have a grow journal started and just had two more northern lights root today,which i transplanted. Check it out.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I left cuttings in the cloner for 2 weeks without checking on them..... Woops...

[​IMG]

8. So do you dip in a cloning gel like clonex and then put in the sprayer or just cut and put in

9. #30 GoldGrower, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    I just cut the branch, trim the bottom couple of leaves off, place stem in a neoprene plug, and place it all in the hole in the lid. The only thing in the water is a little veg nutes (EC 0.35) and a little PH down to bring it to 5.5 ish.

I have used water straight from the tap in the past without adding anything and they still root fine. I have never tried rooting hormone with it

10. On the subject of cloning I was also wondering about cloning or re rooting plants with buds already forming? I have a 14 inch outdoor clone that was broken off from a mother plant by accident, is it possible to reroot and continue flowering?

11. You mean a 14 inch accidently snap... Not clone :)

And from my opinion I doubt it, since it's into flower it will probs stress out and hermie! And 14inch may be too big!

Let me know if it does work bro! :)

Peace 👽

Headchefs indoor and outdoor adventures! - http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1289059-

12. Haha, i got a few of these growing now. To experiment, i broke a branch off, wood, not the soft part and stuck like 10 clones in one little vase, like women do with roses n junk. Dont care whether it lives or dies, just another odd ass pokesmot experiment lol

Badass!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Once the plant has gone through the stretch, roots stop growing. So rooting a well flowered cutting would likely need to re-veg first before it can start putting down some roots. I guess it's technically possible, but you would need to keep that cutting healthy for several weeks with no roots.

But you have nothing to lose so certainly try it. I would be interested to know the results

14. Sorry I am late,GG. I miss you so much since I did not see you recently. You are busy with your new threads. Great thread, keep going, I will keep an eye on this. :)

15. Hiya Gold,

Long time, my friend!   Great job on the cloner.  I've always appreciated our common approach to growing - keep it simple!  
    These work fantastic, in my experience.  I've also found that by adding a fish tank air pump to the mix (bubbles in the water) helps to speed things up in the cloner. 

Cheers,
    Past

• Like Like x 1
  16. I just splice at an angle then splice up the middle and dip in root-tone. Then I place it directly into rockwool and into my DWC setup under 16/8 cfl lights (blue/ yellow) and I get a long root out the bottom of my netcup in 48 hrs. I have no idea why it takes people a week to get roots. Should be taking 2 days max with a proper setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  17. #38 GoldGrower, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014

Getting the conditions correct is one thing but different plants will have huge variant in rooting time. That is something no one has any control of. But having a long root in 48 hours? I find that very hard to believe. "two days max".. come on now, let's be sensible here.

There are as many cloning methods as there are growers. None of them are wrong, but this one is all about ease of use and low cost. I think it fills that niche quite nicely.

It wasn't necessarily designed for speed, I mean who needs clones in 2 days anyway? And what's the difference between 2 days and 7 days? 5 days right? When adding that to the 9 weeks of flower and numerous weeks of veg, 5 days really isn't going to effect anything. But if it does, you could always take the cuts 5 days earlier

My Super weed clones root in 5 minutes, the roots will fill a 5 gallon bucket in 2 days and have a pound of buds in a week. I have to set out trays to catch all the resin dripping off them and I get a gallon of pure hash oil every day.

I dont know why yours are not like my super weed.

LOL   BWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Winner Winner x 1

Hahaha!