Are you a Mac, PC, or Linux Fan?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by F0urq, Aug 20, 2014.

?

What is your favorite OS?

1. Mac OS/OSX

2. Windows

3. Linux

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I use both but prefer Macs. Built a decent gaming PC and that's all I use it for. I use my MacBook Pro for work, editing pics, etc.

2. I'M A HUMAN, AND I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS NONSENSERY OF STEREOTYPING.

3. I'm a human bean

4. I use both daily but to me it's all about what I'm using it for. Gaming I am a pc guy but coding and graphic design I use a Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Well for starters no self-respecting tech-head should even bother responding to this thread in a serious fashion.. I mean just look at the title. "are you a mac or a PC" what does that even mean? A PC means personal computer... that can be either a windows machine or an OS X machine.... or even LINUX and one of its dozens of offshoots of OSs.

The title is supposed to read "Are you an OS X user, or a Windows user".

I've been using OS X daily for the past 5 years and couldn't have enjoyed switching over any more than I did. 

Windows is great and all, but as far as I can tell OS X will have the usability market cornered for the rest of time.

Windows still very clearly has its advantages but I believe those will begin to become less important over time. Game designers are beginning to code for both windows and OS X and the OS X game library has rapidly grown in size from just even a few years ago.  

Beyond gaming there isn't much windows does better by an obvious margin. At that point it just becomes opinion and what you like more. And I can say without a doubt that I like OSX more for daily browsing and stuff like that.

6. windows games mostly and posting here.
    linux for fun and development stuff.. that's why i like to have a pc (because i can dual boot it).

and mac for work, can't beat their ui.. and how nicely everything is integrated. plus it's great for development. but there are a few shortcomings as well, but compared to other OS's ... mac wins for now, imo

7. I will forever be a PC. After I switched from iPhone to Android I noticed that there are finer things in life.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. apple sucks, if you want any program, you better hope apple make it because if not, you have to go without. 

pc is superior. solely because its simple, everyone uses it, and mac is very different. i wouldnt teach you to drive in an altima, then give you a ferrari. and for the same reason, i wouldnt teach someone to use a pc then give them a mac. 

i cant figure out how to do shit on a mac  :blink:

9. #50 llllllllll, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014

Doesn't even seem like you know what a PC is; let alone the differences between mac and windows. So why would we expect you to know how to use a slightly different operating system?

el oh el

same for you lol

This thread is a fail-fest.

10. I, mack a PC... biotch

11. how is it a fail fest? just because some people prefer pc to mac doesnt mean this thread failed. opinions are opinions.

i can operate a mac, im not a total retard, and even if someone had never used a mac it wouldnt be hard to learn. i used macs in school pretty much through out k-12. i just could never get used to them. the first computer i was taught to use was in fact a mac. but i just dont like how macs work or are set up. when i started using pc's, things got much easier for me. its not that i dont know how to use one, its that its always been a cluster fuck to me. 

just because mac is more "futuristic" and crap, doesnt mean their better. and the things that i really dont like about them now is, they arent easily upgraded, and you can only do so much when you want to upgrade them unlike pcs, a lot of games cant be played on macs, and i game quite a bit, and lastly, if you buy an apple product now, you'll need to get a new one in a year or so or else it will run slow, and really just wont have all the capabilities the new products have. (that last part mostly applies to their phones). and should i mention that for a decent mac you have to pay about a grand? yeah, im good on that. 

at least MS doesnt put out a phone that doesnt work and call it their newest, best phone. Mac in my eyes is inferior because they wont slow down and fix problems they've ALWAYS had, but will continue to make half assed computers, phones and programs. but thats what apple is known for and best at. the only reason people like apple is because they have the newest thing, but they only make the products work well enough to perform; they dont fix the smaller annoying issues, just the ones that make it so you cant use the product
    i believe that if apple decided to take a year or two off making new things and start perfecting current products, they'd be far superior to other companies  until they can finish a product before it's released, apple is just not worth the extra money and time for something that looks futuristic but wont play my games or programs, and cant be upgraded all that much. and some cant be upgraded at all, or so i've heard. at least with my pc i can slap in the newest parts and keep up with the times. with apple you need to buy a whole new rig to get the newest, best computer for my money.

show me why apple is better instead of just being the kid in class that says "HAHA your opinions are dumb because they arent mine" 

so that is why im a pc guy and dont use macs. all of these things make macs inferior to pc's

12. #53 llllllllll, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
    Red = You failing to know basic computer terminology
    Blue = me correcting you
    This thread is a fail fest because the title, and like 50% of the people posting in it dont even understand what they are talking about.

I am laughing at you because you act like you know things about computers, and then you go and say "PC" is better than mac. Here is a little lesson for you. PC = PERSONAL COMPUTER.  A mac can be a PC. A Windows machine can be a PC. 

So i'm not even going to waste my time talking to someone who can barely understand basic computer vernacular. You can hardly even understand the difference between MAC, APPLE, PC and Windows, and it is painfully evident from this confused post you typed up.

Please learn ANYTHING about computers before you sit in here and spout off a bunch of random shit lol.

one last thing.. 

Tell that to my 4 year old macbookpro which i've been using for graphic design and counterstrike since the day I got it.

Peace breh âœŒ

13. well apple has a large line of computers, the IMac, the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro, the Mini Mac, and last but not least, the Mac pro. MAC OS X was a type of OS that Apple bought back in the 80's, which has since been turned into OS X, Apple is a company, and MS Windows is another OS. 

oh and today i learned that PC stands for personal computer! thanks for that by the way, as if i didnt know that if i needed to know what PC meant, i could've used a search engine to sound like a total badass computer geek.

Well, this thread is titled, "Are You A Mac? Or A PC" and that pretty much tells me, this thread is asking apple computers, or ones running windows or linux. Apple call their computers Macs. You of all people should know that because you OWN A MACBOOK.

sooo, when i said mac, i meant apple. dont be a smart ass, you know what i meant. and when i said pc, i meant any computer running windows or linux. thats what most people consider a pc, a computer running windows or linux.

so let's rename this thread to "Apple versus Microsoft and Linux" 

just to make it a bit more clear to people who want to be very literal when talking about computers.

oh, and as i put in parenthesis, that last bit applied mainly to Apple phones. i know people still suing G4's and they get by fine using it for email, videos, and all that. 

so yes, i understand that every computer is a personal computer.
    But in this case, i had assumed they meant apple versus other brands of computers, thats what they meant. im pretty sure OP didnt mean to just be a giant troll and sit there and laugh because pc groups all computers together. 

is that better? that should fix whatever problems you had with my post.

but yeah i see where you are coming from, just realise most people call every computer but apple computers PC's. and i'd say they are more qualified as PCs than Apple products are because they simply are truly Personal Computers as you can make them almost exactly how you'd like. Apple limits the amount of things you can do to improve or change their computers, most other companies dont have as many limitations on things you can switch out or change. 

so i will state this again in terms you may be able to comprehend, computers made by apple, running OS X, or any Apple OS, are in my opinion inferior to computers that run Windows or Linux OS.

Look, i know enough about computers. dont take two posts i put in this thread and assume because of the way i wrote things, im a total dumbass that doesnt know shit about computers. 

You dont buy an apple product to modify it. I have put an SSD and an extra 4 gb mem in my mbp though. I've never once sat here and thought; "Gee, I wish I could install a new graphics card for all of these adobe programs I'm using." 

If I wanted a better laptop I'd buy the newest macbook model (because no other laptops compare to apple produced MBP's (exception being the higher priced MSI branded laptops which retail for around $2,000)).

If I wanted to play higher tiered games I'd build a desktop.

With apple you are paying for the OS and aesthetics and a design that will last. Had this MBP for 4 years and all I do is clean out the dust once a year and delete old files. I dont even have anti-virus installed. There are just loads of things I DONT have to worry about when using OSX. 

I dont have a preference, windows or mac though. I just use what works best for the application at hand.

If you dont like the OSX then use windows, but there is a reason the industry standard for design related work is OSX.

15. #56 Alaric, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014

I have both mac os mavericks or whatever they are calling it 10.9.4 i think. Yes having no antivirus can work, but you cannot have java installed. If you do it is easy to delete. However, Macs cannot play games, since everything is run though API it will crash deep in the open GL usually, a crash relating to improper GPU code execution. So both systems have their advantages, and even though chrome allows you to get around on a mac without java, it is not a full proof solution, you should be ready to reinstall at any moment taking such large risks.

Oh you cannot have java installed because it is the most common high level programming language in the world, and guess what programming language java is written in, clearly, and you guessed it.

16. Who says I can't play games? I play plenty of games on my macbook.

17. I'm a PC guy.  I've never used a mac and don't own an I-Anything.
    All my programs that I've spent years amassing only work
    with Windows, so yeah...PC all the way.

18. Haha the "I don't own an I-thing" really made me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. I read a few posts, loled, then skipbo'd here.

Macs have nice simple GUI. Very attractive, you know. Shiny n shit. My fav apple: itouch 2nd gen ~2008.

PC to me means windows 98se+. And android KitKat+.

Oh and my phone is smarter than yours OP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app