Does The 400 Watt Seem Legit?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 20, 2014.

The guys who get killer yields with LED also can do it with 250W HPS and other smaller lights of any type.

My point is there are some good growers who know thier stuff and could grow good big buds with a flashlight and a cow pie. :)

I quit indoor for a few years and started my indoor back up last fall with a borrowed 1,000w MH, by Christmas I had 2 more 1,000's to kick in in the ass.

This fall Im setting up a 4,000 watt 48 plant hydro sea of green. My big plants are over 7 feet 8 inches tall outdoor.
    Im legal so Im trying to grow all i can. :)

I have 10 dark devil plants like this crossed with white rhino full of seeds. So far I have harvested 2 seed crops this year. Jackpot!

View attachment 1533905
    View attachment 1533911
    :

Buy some panda film and make yourself a flowering area, or buy an actual flowering tent if you don't wanna make it..600 or 1000w light, and a t5 for the fridge as your veg/clone area. You can have a perpetual grow. My last grow was 4 plants scrogged in a tent with a 600w and harvested a pound..since then I have upgraded my hood to an XXXL sized. The hood is literally almost as big as the tent..maximum coverage. I would like to think with the hortilux bulb and XXXL hood, it might actually be comparable to a 1000w with much less heat.

3. :poke:

4. True, Im from st.maartin so I might be one of those growings in your blood guys, but I'm not currently in a medicinal state that let's me really push and find out;D

How much heat and bills will you deal with having 4000? Ever thought about going solar?

&Thoseee aree Fudging Orgasmic, willing to sell seeds lmao? *cough* j/k forum rules *cough* *cough* not really, pm me *cough* *cough*=D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #25 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    Sounds good. Question though- leds are cheaper than a t5 and would probably be better for a veg/clone area because they're full spectrum. Am I wrong?
    And how big is your tent?

6. #26 lFourTwenty, Aug 21, 2014

I don't know about LEDs being cheaper..I got this same t5 and it's pretty cheap. You can get the 8 bulb version as well for like $120. I also have a 4 bulb hydrofarm t5 and it seems like it's more sturdy but it's like 60 bucks more and provides the exact same light so it's not really worth buying over this one imo. This one also has a feature where you can turn off half of the light so only 2 bulbs are on. Not a feature I use but my hydrofarm one doesn't have that.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-4lamps-DL844s-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00HEYCRI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1408585982&sr=1-1

Edit: My tent is 4x4..my next upgrade will be a flowering room instead of tent  :smoking:  That is of course if I am ever legally allowed to grow. Best for me to keep things on the smaller side but hell I harvest much more weed than I could ever consume.

7. #27 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 21, 2014
    Damn bro, I'm Pretty sure I can't fit a 4 ft t5 in that fridge. Butttt, I can veg/clone in my personal closet with one(or use a tent), and use a 600 watt or a 300+ led to flower in the fridge and just add another 6" fan?

8. #28 Lixx, Aug 21, 2014
    @HTVGB. Thanks for the compliments. I would love to help you out if possible. The first thing I suppose you have to decide is... ARE you going to grow in that fridge or are you open to other ideas. I ask that simply because a lot of the posts in here are attempting to lead you into doing something different than you initially asked about. If you ARE going with the fridge and I think that choice could be fine(I've never grown in one but I have seen it done), then I think a 300-450 watt LED would do fine. As you stated already, and thanks again, my plants seem to like it and they are in about the same space as you would have in a full size fridge. I chose LED because of the size of grow space I had available and heat concerns. I tested for a few days in my cabinet with different lights. 250 watt MH/HPS and CFL's. With the MH/HPS, the cabinet could get up to 99 degrees. The CFL's were a total of 240 watts and the temp wasn't much better. The LED arrived and temps plummeted to a high of 82. Usually cabinet temps with lights on for hours is 79. My grow is hardly over either so all I have to go on is what has happened so far. BUT... so far, I'm happy with the size cabinet I built, the type of light I bought, the scrog technique and I think I'll be happy with the yield. My goal has always been 5 between the 2 plants. I don't think that's too far from realistic. I'll always be updating my grow, so check over there and see how it goes for someone else for a while if you can wait. LOL! I know you can't wait, but good luck with whatever you decide and if you have any questions, just ask. I just updated my journal too.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1323267-300-watt-led-cabinet-grow-ww-x-bb-ww-x-skunk-1.html

They sell 2ft t5s if you still wanted to go in that direction..I think a 600w would be too much for such a small area honestly. I was only posting other suggestions because you had said you weren't tied down to flowering in the refrigerator. It might do great for a small veg or clone area but not so much for flowering..way too damn small for me but that's my opinion. I'm sure you might be able to pull something off in it. I'm the type of person that wants to make something worth my time..not grow a plant for 3 months+ only to harvest an ounce or two..fuck that lol

10. #30 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks lixx, much appreciated. Barely subscribed, but I've been keeping up since almost the beginning. Now that you said a 250 was over 99 than a 400 or 600 definitely wouldn't do it in a fridge even with 2 6" fans And a cooling tube. I'll go led 300-450 watt probably from TopLed, start veging. Start cloning. Buy a t5 or cfls (for now) for the clones. And start a perpetual so I won't have to worry about having an excessive amount of lights and plants flowering simultaneously in limited space. Do I need mylar since the interior is white?

11. #31 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 21, 2014
    Yea, I'm definitely going LEDs and 2 ft T5 now bro. I really appreciate it. You're right about harvesting shitty amounts.😐 until I get the tent I'm gonna flower in the fridge with full spectrum leds. I know with that space I can harvest atleast 8 oz's, no problem. Just not with insufficient lighting.

Edit: Changed 10 to 8

Yea, My first indoor buds were under floros and I grew for 4 months for a good bag but it was smoked up in 2-3 weeks. LOL

Getting over an ounce per square foot is kicking ass and not easily done if not impossible with nominal lighting.

A more realistic but optimistic would be 3 ounces in that space. Thats trimmed and dried.

13. #33 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 21, 2014
    I respect your opinion, and I hate those dudes that're like "I did that, I did this" w/o pictures but using 5 cfls(4x100. 1x40) In a much smaller space(closet) I harvested 4+ almost 5 ozs cured and trimmed. Why do you say 3 oz's max, if cfls are less ideal and my space was smaller?
    Could it be because they were reggie seeds?

Edit: more detail; when I switched to flowering, I think I used 4 of these but not the equivalents. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-6500K-T2-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-4-Pack-434399/203248911?N=5yc1vZbmat

I forgot but should have mentioned that when I did my testing on MH/HPS lights in my cabinet, that the hood is not air cooled. I have a forced air intake and a carbon filter exhaust in the cabinet and all tests were done with that ventilation and that is what I am still running. With my cabinet, the air cooled hood did not fit well enough to be efficient. I am limited by space as many of you aren't so much. My cabinet is a little less 2x2.5 ft. The LED works well in there. That's why I did this grow with LED. I have all the other lights too. I just can't use them right now. I wanted to try and see what I could do with what I have. I'm happy so far for a little hobby grow.

15. #35 HitTheVapeGetBaked, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
    How far has your flowering progressed?

17. Disagree with this statement. I have a 2x3foot tent and I'm running an open hood.

The tent is just a delegates space for growing. It's your location of the tent that will either cause you to run open hood or not.

Jon

18. Area 8x8 sorry

Sent from my Z750C using Grasscity Forum mobile app