Best Expedition/long Range Touring Bicycle

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by HealthyStoner, Aug 19, 2014.

1. #1 HealthyStoner, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    Hello. I'm planning a bit of a life changing event next year; I'm going to quit my job, get on my bicycle and spend as long as it takes cycling around the circumference of our lil' old planet Earth. 

As part of my initial preparation I'd be interested to know whether there are any cycle touring enthusiasts on grass city who might have first hand recommendations on a good touring/expedition bike?

HS x

2. Well I wouldn't condone quitting your job to get lost on a bike, but I may have a few suggestions. Lots of places don't deal with expensive bikes, so you will want something cheap. Bikes will break constantly under abuse, make sure your technical skill is beyond what you think you need. Learn how to build a wheel. repair spokes, change tires, set derailleurs. Also, food is key, think about how many calories you will be burning, keeping hydrated and fed will help out. Then there's things like sleep and whatever. Basically buy a bike not to heavy with simple components. 

3. I work at a high class bike shop and my best reccomendation would be to get a fuji cross bike,the semi aggressive tires will be perfect for any gravel trails you might encounter.

Or if your staying on the road a fuji sportif might be more for you.

Whats your budget?

Have you had a road bike before?